FUCK WHAT YOU THINK
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nottingham, UK.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: i$e's Magical Music Megapost
Plenty of indie in here. Threw in some personal favourite soundtracks too.
1. Swans - The Seer // Genre : Post-Punk / Industrial / Folk // Year : 2012
2. Beach House - Bloom // Genre : Indie / Dream Pop // Year : 2012
Album is just like floating on a cloud. Amazing female vocals (becoming a staple of the genre) and great melodic structures. If you like Indie, you'll love this. If you like Parades/Jezabels, you'll love this.
3. Skyharbor - Blinding White Noise Illusion & Chaos // Genre : Progressive Metal // Year : 2012
Do you like atmospheric/melodic groove metal with amazing vocals? This is it. Dan Tompkins (Tesseract) does what he does best and makes some ethereal contributions to really good metal instrumentation.
4. The Early November - In Currents // Genre : Indie / Alt // Year : 2012
Probably my favourite indie of the year. Amazing songwriting ability and powerful instrumentation. Reminds me of Frightened Rabbit mixed with Idlewild mixed with Hey! Rosetta. Potent.
5. Alt-J - An Awesome Wave // Genre : Indie // Year : 2012
Surprisingly good as it came out of nowhere. Electronic-fused indie that is tied together by some awesome-folk-esque vocals. Strange, but endearing. Check it out!
6. Tigers on Trains - Foundry // Genre : Folk // Year : 2012
Folk release of the year so far. Exceptionally heartfelt music and some great crossover acoustic guitar melodies. Will appeal to indie heads too. Amazing.
7. Dark Time Sunshine - ANX // Genre : Hip-Hop / Cloud Rap // Year : 2012
Continuing with the theme of 2012 (trying to catch up) and specifically the theme of intelligent hip-hop. Just about overtakes El-P's release as my favourite from the genre this year. Great beats, production and thought provoking stuff. Great if you're into Aesop Rock or any kind of good music really. Great place to start if you're put off by the fact it's hip-hop.
8. Circa Survive - Blue Sky Noise // Genre : Alt Rock / Post-Hardcore // Year : 2010
This is the album I thought Conversation Piece wanted to be when I finally got around to hearing it. Awesomely catchy tunes with a strange quality that I can't put my finger in. Crosses over elements of Indie, Rock & Post-Hardcore as well as any album I've heard. Recommended Highly.
Soundtracks that I love ~
Howard Shore - Lord of the Rings OST - Unfuckwithable GOAT score in my view.
Clint Mansell - Requiem for a Dream - Revolutionary minimalism.
Ennio Morricone - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Really excellent execution of how to basically invent a certain musical tone for a genre. Unsurpassed.
Just my top 3. Feel free to throw more OSTs in.
My favourite soundtrack would be High Fidelity. It has everything.
Last edited by i$e; 08-02-2012 at 05:09 PM.