Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

2M views 21K replies 512 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 ·
#4,441 ·
I never really got why Angle is held in such high regard with the majority of the IWC. I think it has something to do with the idea that he has a very legit wrestling background and therefore he is instantly a great wrestler in their minds. (The same thing applies with Jack Swagger. I can't name one good redeeming quality about his ring-work, but he has always been considered a good worker because of his mat-wrestling background)

I've been tempted recently to open a topic asking Angle fans why they find him so great in the ring, but I think it won't end well just by judging how people react when the phrases 'Kurt Angle' and 'Spot Monkey' are in the same sentence.

#4,442 ·
Wrestlemania 2000

E&C/Hardys/Dudleyz ****1/2
Benoit/Angle/Jericho ***1/4
F4W ****

Everything else was horrible, probably drove some of the ratings for the good matches up.

Backlash 2000

Road Dogg & X-Pacc/E&C **1/2
Scotty 2 Hotty / Malenko ***1/4
Big Boss Man&Buchanan / APA *1/4
Hardcore Title Match **3/4
Big Show / Angle *1/2
Dudleyz/T&A ***
Guerrero/Essa Rios **1/2
Jericho/Benoit ***3/4
Rock/HHH ****3/4

#4,443 ·
I never really got why Angle is held in such high regard with the majority of the IWC. I think it has something to do with the idea that he has a very legit wrestling background and therefore he is instantly a great wrestler in their minds. (The same thing applies with Jack Swagger. I can't name one good redeeming quality about his ring-work, but he has always been considered a good worker because of his mat-wrestling background)

I've been tempted recently to open a topic asking Angle fans why they find him so great in the ring, but I think it won't end well just by judging how people react when the phrases 'Kurt Angle' and 'Spot Monkey' are in the same sentence.
He's usually really fun to watch. Then again, I found Morrison quite fun to watch too and he was absolutely annihilated by the Z0MG SPOT MONKEE comments...

#4,444 ·
Morrison was fun to watch because he could take good bumps and sell acceptably, and didn't spam his big moves. I can't remember seeing a Morrison match where he hit six finishers and lost. Not a great wrestler, but not Kurt Angle bad either.

here's what I said about Charlie Haas one time, but it's equally applicable to Angle:

and yet people still think he's good because of his amateur background of all things. amateur wrestling has nothing to do with pro wrestling except for the name. literally nothing. they are fundamentally different activities. amateur wrestling is about wrestling against another competitor who is also trying to beat you. pro wrestling is about working with another performer to create the illusion that you are trying to beat each other. they are not the same thing and have incredibly little to do with one another. but since Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar happened to understand how pro wrestling worked, and have the athleticism to excel at both, people think there's some kind of correlation between amateur and pro wrestling skill. there isn't, and the perpetuation of that myth shows an absurd level of misunderstanding of what wrestling is.
(I realize I included something positive about Angle in there, it's referring to his 2000-02 work, which was really good, not his 2009-2012 work, which is atrocious)

#4,445 ·
I think that since around 07, Angle is at his best when he's limited, hence why I loved the Angle/Styles vs. Daniels/Kaz tag team match at Slammiversary (TNA I know, but still Angle.) I generally would have enjoyed those two teaming up for a while longer, with the majority of the matches remaining fairly similar in terms of structure. An early onslaught from Angle/Styles, followed by the other team singling out Styles and dominating, building up to the hot tag where Angle has four or five minutes just to kill everything in site.

It almost made his SPOTZ~! make sense, seeing as he's been on the apron for ten minutes, he's fully rested etc. and he needed to turn everything around, and it was just fun, and I wouldn't have minded him doing that for a few months. It also keeps him out of the World Title picture and it puts some star-studded quality in to the tag division.

#4,448 ·
Just rewatched Summerslam 2011 on dvd. I must say the first with the exception of the 6-man tag is rather slow. Cee Lo Green is just awful. However the second half Bryan/Barrett Christian/Orton and Cena/Punk all make up for this and make this Summerslam a good one.
Christian/Orton ****3/4 and Punk/Cena like ****1/4 or 1/2. Really great matches.

Just realised that rating puts it as Christian's and Orton's best singles match ever, for me.

#4,452 ·
Cut the crap about people thinking Angle is good cos of his background blah blah blah, he's one of the best fucking wrestlers of all time in the ring. He could carry you to a good match.
Angle carry me to a good match? As if I'd let him do the carrying and embarrass me out there

8*D

Angle is really athletic and intense in the ring and a lot of people go mad for that style. I understand it completely.

#4,454 ·
The main reason I enjoy watching Angle's matches is because I know his cardio is 2nd to none, the guy's just never gonna get tired. He goes and goes and goes, hense why he takes way too many dangerous risks without slowing down and setting them up. But he's not GOAT level, I don't remember Angle having any impressive/noteworthy workover segments or any moments where he sold something exceptionally. Not very good at working a crowd either. Don't hate the guy though.

#4,455 ·
Hm...this seems not to be the best thread for a giant Angle mark like myself.

I will say, however, that a lot of matches people love on here (every Undertaker match from the last 4 Manias) were all finisher fests, and I don't see THAT much criticism. I might be a bit biased because I'll defend Angle until death, but still.

#4,456 ·
The Austin match in 01 is probably the best example of Angle selling and that's like 85% the Steve Austin show.

Probably his best workover is against Shane McMahon and dude, that's Shane McMahon. Still a good match, and one of the better Angle performances, because it plays to his strengths and virtually ignores his weaknesses.

#4,458 ·
Meh, I could rattle a few ****1/2 + Angle matches off the top of my head right now, so I guess he couldn't have been too bad. I'd definitely put him up there when it comes to the best of his generation/era, but I wouldn't necessarily call him one of the GOATs, nor would I even associate him with the GOATs. He's a special talent and really entertaining, but I could name plenty of more entertaining guys out there.

I can see why people like and love Angle, and I can see why people dislike Angle, also. I'm not too fussed about him either way - He serves a purpose, he puts on a fun match here and there and he gets the job done. I can't really ask much more from someone at the age of 44, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.