Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #3939 (permalink)
WOOLCOCK
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone

Location: Golfing with Stephen Hawking, he lied about his handicap. Didn't need a golf cart though, I just sat in his lap.
WOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF BallotWOOLCOCK made the HOF Ballot
Default Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice4joepa View Post
How exactly was the 2000 version better? Sure, the product was hotter and had a more artistically pleasing main event love triangle, but it's not as consistent in the ring.

Hunter/Foley Royal Rumble 2000 alone is better than anything 1999 as a whole has to offer from an in ring standpoint.

Hunter/Foley NWO whilst not a GREAT Cell match, is still a lot better than you'd get from 1999.

Rock/HHH Backlash and Judgement Day 2000 were again far superior to anything Austin/Rock, Taker/Austin, Mankind/Rock could offer.

HHH/Jericho Fully Loaded LMS match is again on a whole different level to what 1999 produced.

Rock/Benoit whilst let down by the overbooked finish, was again far better than what Rock produced in his feuds in 1999.

HHH/Taka from Smackdown is a better TV match than I ever recall seeing from 1999 WWF.

The Too Cool/Angle & Edge/Christian 6 man from Judgement Day is fun as fuck and again, better than any 1999 opener I can recall.

The Dallas 10 man tag from February featuring HHH and the Radicalz v Foley, Rock & Too Cool is one of Raw's greatest matches, just an insanely great match/segment with an all time great crowd.

I'm not huge on Benoit/Jericho as a series (compared to others), but their series was better than any IC title match I recall from 1999.

Bear in mind I also ommitted the Dudleys/Hardys Table match from Royal Rumble, the Triangle Ladder match from Wrestlemania 16 and TLC 1 from Summerslam. All generally well received even if I have a pretty low opinion on the actual matches myself.

September-December of 2000 tbh is where the year gets weaker from an in ring standpoint, Angle/Rock No Mercy gets a ton of love but its been too long since I last watched it. Unforgiven and Survivor Series are largely weak, and Armageddon is equally disappointing (some love the 6 man HIAC but I'm no fan of it, more of a clusterfuck IMO).

But yeah, despite a weak period from September-December, the first 8 months of 2000 alone blow 1999 out of the water, christ January-May is in another league of its own in terms of match quality. Slowly but surely matches became more about the character performances, structure and story within a match rather than overbooked brawls (and even the overbooked brawls such as HHH/Rock Backlash was booked and executed more like Austin/Dude Love OTE 1998 than some of the poor 1999 brawls).

Last edited by WOOLCOCK : 07-15-2012 at 06:33 AM.