Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Jerry Lawler: Best Wrestler of the 1980s

View Single Post

Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #34 (permalink)
Greenlawler
Old School, cause I'm an old fool....

Greenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new hereGreenlawler better hope they're relatively new here
Default Re: Jerry Lawler: Best Wrestler of the 1980s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble Trouble View Post
Those aren't my top 5 of the 80s but just some names I threw out there that had great runs in the 80s, on a bigger stage.

The thing that gets me about Lawler is the fact that he won over 50 singles championships in the 80s, majority belonging to Memphis territory promotions or affiliates. Now, I know that really doesn't mean anything but if you're just going to base his greatness on his abilities, who's to say a guy like Bobby Eaton, Bill Dundee, Austin Idol or the Gilberts weren't better?

If mic skills are all it takes for Lawler to be viewed as the best of the 80s, then it's plenty who rank above him. Wrestling wise, it's plenty that rank above him. Lawler truly stood out for his plentiful title reigns.
Well we will just have to disagree, but I never ranked Lawler based on soley his championships or mic skills (which I also disagree with you on...there were VERY few better). His in ring phychlogy was supurb, his creativity was beyond just about any guy out there, his charisma well at the top of the list.....You kept saying "he never wrestled top competition" but he did. I just don't think you can throw anyone out there except Flair who was better. Sure there are some guys (very few) who you could argue were on the same level but not better. Anyways I respect your opinion you obviously have some knowledge of the old school, and I respect that.
Greenlawler is offline   Reply With Quote