Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,163 · (Edited)
As a rough, generalised scale you should think of it as

1-6 reps strength
8-12 hypertrophy
15+ endurance

Now its a continuum so even if you're doing 15 reps for stuff you'll gain strength etc. Personally i like a rep range of 5-8 but thats just me.

Smith machine is one of the worst machines to even have been invented. There is nothing functional about it, and you will gain nothing as your body has no idea how to stabilise itself if you lift something tracking along a fixed axis. As far as squats go, to 90 degrees is adequate.

#4,164 ·

might be some hip flexibility problems if you can't get passed parallel. Look at us and our youtube heroes! 8*D Smith machine is only acceptable if you have serious injuries, at an old age, or put the bar up top to do pull ups off of. I do upright rows on the smith machine, but so much other trap, deltoid, lat work I don't suffer from stabilizing issues.

@MF83, since you posted that video last time, I love the arm position he teaches. I still get numb or tingly arms a little bit though, so I have to work on it. But I definitely feel the difference in my traps. and thanks to that power lifters form on Bench, I can do 225 x 4 now. instead of 225 x 0. My chest is big and flat enough I just want to get it stronger, so I'm looking in to that 5/3/1 you drool over so much.

I actually just did hamstrings and got 250 x 6 on stiff leg deadlifts for 3 sets.

#4,165 · (Edited)
^^^ :) There's lots of hypertrophy templates for it as well. Boring But Big is the most famous but there a few more. Buy or "acquire" the second edition of 5/3/1 and then read Beyond 5/3/1 after. Even if you don't use it, it's got tons of good logical advice from a legend.

I tried the Spinal Tap variant for the first time today, actually, for my Overhead Press. The idea is to do a month's worth of work sets in one day, adding joker sets if you want along the way. Superset the whole thing with lat, rear delt, biceps type work and voila, I had one of the best workouts of my life today. Add 5 lbs to your training max every week for three weeks.

Training Max = 160lbs

Warm up:
45x8 | face pulls
65x5 | face pulls
80x5 | face pulls
95x3 | 10 neutral grip chin ups

{3's}
110x3 | 10 chinups
130x3 | 10 pullups
145x3 | 20 Bent Lateral Raises with 5's

{5/3/1}
120x5 | 15 Bent Lateral Raises with 10's
135x3 | 10 neutral chin ups
150x1 | 10 chin ups

*Joker Set: 165! Tied PR! Shit flew up in the air too; could have gone for more but chose not to.

{5's}
105x5 | Barbell Curls
120x5 | Barbell Curls
135x5 | Barbell Curls

Accessory: 2 sets 15x45 lockout behind the head press | 2 sets 10 reps per hand kroc rows with a 50lb dumbell

ALL IN UNDER ONE HOUR. Amazing.

#4,167 ·
Full body beginner programs scare me at my level too but I'm testing them on the New Years Resolutioners at my university, for my own experimentation/their benefit.

I have them do a Monday/Wednesday/Friday week 1 ABA week 2 BAB split with
A: deadlift/press/(assisted) dips/(assisted) chins/abs & B: squat/bench/rows/back raises/abs (I think; off the top of my head).

My 5ft8 140 lbs girlfriend is borderline EXRX standards "Advanced" (132bw=220, 148bw=240) for deadlift (2 plates) after training for like a month without any kind of supplementation. Her squat best is 5x105. She could barely do a rep with the bar squatting and 95lbs was heavy for her first deadlift day. 30 lbs gains every week is fucking boggling. :lol Dem noob gains harvested correctly, man. It's fucking magical. I train around noon then go with her (and whoever else) at night and foam roll/stretch/skip whatever and my body hasn't felt more recovered since I started lifting. It's win-win as hell, plus I get to test out this idea of me wanting to train people and do all the experimenting on guinea pigs.

____

Boring But Big and Wendler's other size templates makes people huge but it's awesome because you still do three strength work sets for your press/bench/squat/DL every workout.

5/3/1 is doing so much good for my lifts, except for bench, but that's my own damn fault for switching forms (and even then I'm figuring it out). I remember how I failed however many times in a row to hit a 405 Dl and finally did at the end of August. Joker setted 400x3 today, after my money set of 8x360. All the fucking gains. I love this shit.

#4,169 ·
started doing single leg squats on a bosu ball with a kettlebell in one hand (25 lbs) again. Literally only to impress a girl who was doing crossfity stuff nearby. Can't believe I can still do them so well. Even decided to do some old Turkish Getups :lol They're still easy to me (at 70 lbs).

#4,174 ·
:lol

Started the 5/3/1 program by the book 5+ weeks ago, finally due to my third failed OHP max. Joker setted a 170 single for a new 1RM, already fatigued, and that shit flew up in the air clean (I have 180+ in me). I've used Spinal Tap template for OHP these last two weeks and it is insane! Counting the three sets of rack presses I did after the main work, I did 17 press sets. :eek: (4 warmup; 9 work; 1 joker; three rack). Supersetted six sets of varied-grip chinups, 5 sets of curls and bent lat raises, and a bunch of other rear delt/rotator work in there too. Finished off with 25xbar bent rows using my new Fat Gripz. Spinal Tap indeed.

#4,175 ·
I haven't done 5/3/1 since my last bulk :p

Woke up at 6 to go to the gym today, but then realized I didn't have a university parking pass for this semester and had to go at 7 PM. Place was completely packed with Resolutioners :vince7

#4,178 ·
SVR template calls for a 1RM test on week three. After hitting it I went for a 95% of TM max rep set. New 1RM (425) and new 5RM (355). Today was a good day. :) Not sure if I'm gonna aim for 445 or 455 for deadlift but I have that test on Wednesday or Thursday as well.

#4,182 ·
4 times a week for me with 5/3/1 though I was doing 5-6-7, I even did 9 in 7 days at one point in like October. Ye olde overtraining. :lol

Going for either 445 or 455 deadlift today. Did 435 easy on December 11. I think I should have the strength for 455 but it might be a grinder. 445 I know I can do. I might settle for 450 but it depends how I feel in give-or-take an hour. PUMPED. :mark:

#4,185 ·
5/3/1 baby. Hehe. Fire hydrants look neato.

Found myself bitching to my friend that on a day I felt shitty (today) I only hit 330x9 on squats. My 10RM is 320 and 9RM is 340. That's still four extra reps for 5s week though. :lol: plus, dead from deadlifts on Thursday and SPINAL TAP bench on Friday.

Yeah, Spinal Tap was four warm up, 9 work sets, then three bottom pause sets = 16 bench press sets... All supersetted with back and biceps. Bench plateau gonna die, it will.

#4,186 ·
First post in this thread.

I'm usually the first in my GYM every day in between 6 / 7 AM. I feel the best moment to train is early in the morning. Add do that an empty GYM all for myself and the treat is full.

I've recently changed my workout program and twisted a bit my eating habits. Started using supplements on a more regular basis also - Protein,Glutamine,BCAA. All good.

I've moved from the typical bodybuilding 'one muscle group a day, five days a week' workout to a program which will transition me into the fighting world.

Strengh. Endurance. Cardio.

I'm transitioning myself into MMA and I'm planning on going full out at it. I used a local pro bodybuilder to do me a special program for my needs, but I'm kinda questioning myself about it since I still haven't discussed it with my MMA coach. I should defo get my shit together and speak with him about it next time.

I'd post my program but I'm struggling with some of the english terms and I have to put some time in it.

Oh well.

#4,187 ·
Welcome FalseKing. How much do you deadlift?

I got a max of 255 lbs (second rep I needed the spotter's help) on Bench yesterday. That's nearly 45 lbs passed my max in November. BOOM. However, the previous Day I really hurt my back on my deadlift. I bought a weight belt afterwards. But today, rows were a bitch. I warmed up with 185 for 5 reps; then 4; then 3; then stopped because I was in pain. But I went up in cable rows with the weight belt.

some day, I'll be able to afford a chiropractor who can work on my back. Obamacare to the rescue!

#4,191 ·
For someone who sounds like they don't lift, I'd suggest looking at bodybuilding.com (tons of workout programs on their forums) or a fitness magazine for a basic workout program. It doesn't have to be crazy technical; basically just lifting weights around your major muscle groups. Brand new to lifting, you should get plenty from a simple program. Don't worry about "getting too big," that doesn't exist. If you ever meet anyone who thinks "I'm getting too muscular," please let us know what he is doing then. :lol

choose a split:

1) divide days into full body workouts mabye 3-4 times a week
2) divide days into specific muscle groups
3) either the above and eat lots of protein, lots of carbs, and some fat.

#4,192 · (Edited)
Don't worry about "getting too big," that doesn't exist. If you ever meet anyone who thinks "I'm getting too muscular," please let us know what he is doing then. :lol
I can't get enough of that line "I don't want to get too big." I have a friend who occasionally says this (but he's actually decently built compared to a lot of guys who lift too) but still...

:lol Laugh to myself every time I hear it.

Too Big Guy, if you don't want to get too big, just don't eat 4000+ calories a day, lift like an absolute beast on a permanent/regular basis, and of course, do steroids.Otherwise, you're not gonna get too big...
In fact, there's a great trick for not getting too big out there also, it's called: forget lifting and do P90x.

I'll leave you with this

Hey guys, I'm a pretty skinny dude and I recently just started working out. I want to get a little bigger (Not too big) and I usually do cardio. I'm not really sure about how to plan a proper workout for myself. Do you guys have any tips?
My tip is drop the cardio. Bodyweight exercises might be good for you too. Don't underestimate them. Pushups, Situps, Dips, etc...keep try to do more every time. Then just get some dumbbells and curl those till your arms fall off. I think you'll get what you're shooting for with this plan. Or again, just do something like P90x. Workouts like this give muscular definition but aren't bodybuilding based therefore, no getting "too big" :lol

#4,198 ·
No. Eat normal to what your limit is. One day won't hurt, especially in a bulk. I might recommend some light cardio and maybe some sauna usage if possible the morning after.

Hi all! Bit of a fatty here. (Look a bit like a smaller Samoa Joe)

Just moved into a new apartment and the living room is huge, so it's forced me to buy the new Kinnect and all that stuff, but I'm also going to give some fitness DVD's a go with the GF. Do you think DDP Yoga will help me shed a few points and just in general, get me fitter? If not any recommendations?
Search for the user "Ziggler Mark." He used the DDP yoga DVDs and was really successful, lost quite a bit I believe. I would personally recommend basic cardio and basic weight lifting (if weights are available). Basic cardio: running, biking, swimming. Stuff many people might have access to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.