Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workout/Staying in Shape Thread

526K views 6K replies 634 participants last post by  Nostalgia 
#1 ·
Thought I would bring this thread back, has died many times before but hopefully we can keep it going this time. Basically discuss anything to do with working out, weight lifting, body building, dieting, etc. Feel free to give people tips, ask and answer questions, whatever you guys want.

I started pretty recently myself. Never did anything up until I was like 18 as I was always playing high school sports so never had to worry about getting out of shape. Started doing casually since then and now been going hard for the past 4 months about. I am stronger in virtually every area now, stuff is starting to take shape and I am pretty damn happy with the results.

Goal now is to bulk up, which is tougher then it sounds :$

#4,361 ·
Long term goals
1. 180lb, 10% BF
2. 1000lb total on my big 3 lifts

Short term goals
1. 315lb deadlift (295x3 current)
2. Improve squat form (go 100% parallel as opposed to 80%)
3. Bench press (in general, my weakest big lift. Currently 145x5 which is pretty bad considering my current size. Would like to get to at least 175x3 before cut)
4. Get to 180-185lb BW and start summer cut (currently 176lb with another 6 or so weeks left before I ideally start cutting)

am I gonna make it brahs?

#4,362 ·
Yes

John Cena is in the new muscle and fitness Mag. He and cesaro lift together because cesaro lifts close to the same weight as Cena. :mark: further confirmation faith in my username was well placed. Cesaro squats 495 x 5

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#4,372 ·
^you should take your creatine everyday as it's designed o stay at a maintenance level, not as a a short acting recovery tool.

I take:

Creatine Monohydrate ~4mg every morning after breakfast
Isosensation 93 Whey (Natural flavour), probably 4-6 scoops a day
400/200 EPA/DHA Omega 3 pills, 4-6 usually throughout the day
D3 1000 iu (in winter months)
Beta alanine, 3-4 doses of 2-3mg
Zinc 50mg, Magnesium 250mg before bed
1 multi (Opti-Men)

#4,374 ·
I take whey. Thats about it...
Thinking about buying the BCAA brand that has added caffeine in it. Anyone try it?

Am I the only one who thinks its kind of funny how wwe wrestlers are all jumping on the "crossfit style" bandwagon. I read Cena's latest workout routine, and he completely dissed his bodybuilding days. Now, Im open to any style of working out but I just love how the wwe says these guys are doing it for more injury prevention then anything. Cena has been hurt more times since switching to his buddy Robs style of training then before. Now age and just overall wear and tear could be apart of that, but killing yourself in the gym by doing a power lifting/Olympic lifting hybrid program and then going out and wrestling and doing such a hectic schedule where you average 5 hours of sleep probably doesnt help...just saying.

#4,379 ·
Thats it? Need to bump it up bruh.

Chest day today. Also had Wendy's last night. Hadnt had it awhile. Now I know why, my stomach is killing me....

Yesterday was back day and for a home workout, my lats are pretty sore. Been trying single bodypart training to see if I like it more than my 6 day push pull legs routine.

#4,382 ·
NO Idea why I said the other day was chest, meant shoulders. So I tried the whole single bodypart training for a few days....but I think im going back to training everything twice a week. Thinking Back/Shoulders, Legs, Chest/Arms.

This may have been asked(maybe by me lol) but how many hours of sleep you guys average a night? Im usually asleep by 11 and up by 5. Sometimes during days off of work I sleep till 6.

#4,385 ·
Technically the people that don't train their legs are neglecting, literally, half their body.

The worst are the ones who will go hog a squat rack and do barbell curls. You can curl anywhere in the gym, why the fuck do you need to curl in the only place you can do squats? Douchebags who think they are huge because they can curl a 45lb bar with 10s on each side. SMH

#4,386 ·
I think what bothers me worse than that is when personal trainers t ake like 6 sets of dumbells and spread them in little "stations" They will have client do like curls on one leg, then lunge somewhere else todo presses. Its annoying. Also hate when people do a circuit on a bench press station....but dont use the bench. There multiple benches that can be moved to a private area but they take the damn bench press station. Or the people who stretch in the weights area instead of the stretching mats...good lawd that gets to me. Had one older lady start doing her stretching right by the squat rack with me there. Mid set I look over and shes shooting me this look and shakin her head...so i shake my head. The next week some guy is squatting there and she says "you better not hit me in my stretching area" the guy just stops mid set and stares at her lol.

sorry, rant over.

#4,390 ·
I've been threatening to join a gym for a cpl of months now and I finally did last week, since I stopped smoking 7 weeks ago I've probably put on an extra stone in weight and I plan on using more of my energy by going to the gym most nights after work, I have only been 4 times since I joined and I've just been doing some cardio work to try and get into the swing of it. Just wondering if anyone has any good tips on helping to burn of some fat.

#4,391 ·
Congrats on quitting smoking and taking the initiative to start training. Basically for weight loss, diet is king. If you eat burgers/chips/sweets/drink regularly, you probably wont see a difference even if doing cardio everytime you're at the gym. Its all about making better choices, instead of having a pizza you can eat chicken breast with salad or rice, instead of ice cream eat an apple, just common sense stuff.

You have to be patient because changing your body doesn't happen overnight, depending on how much weight you need to lose, it will most likely take months. Just tell yourself you are going to focus on being a healthier person and the weight loss will come. If you think about it doing a "diet" doesn't really make any sense because what happens after you've achieve your weight loss goals? You're just going to go back to eating the way you used to? Of course not.

So try to make this a lifestyle; eat veggies/fruits everyday, consistently do cardio (at your own pace, doesn't have to be too intense, you will work your way up) and even try a beginner weight training regiment because that will help shed pounds and build muscle. After awhile when you start losing some weight, you will feel so much better and will get hooked to training.

#4,397 · (Edited)
I started implementing a 5/3/1 (and some) plan. I'm also focusing on sumo deadlifts right now. I find myself really squatting too deep for deadlifts, I'm trying to fix this too.

I can only do 145 on military press, max. But I also only just started that after only ever doing dumbell shoulder presses.

I recently got a job at a supplement store. This place is like heaven and I hope I can get tons of discounts and samples. They were telling me they constantly give their employees samples of stuff so they can try it out. Time to get huge!

Reactions: Magic
#4,402 ·
close grip incline and flat is insane for triceps. I remember when I first started doing them for incline, I increased my incline bench a ton. For me it's cable push downs or dips. Considering getting a belt so I can add weight actually.

things not mentioned...triceps kickbacks? I hate those. Fuck them.

So, I meet the President of USP labs today at my new job. He gave me a few samples of the preworkout/fat burner/test booster Aplhamine. Stuff is pretty good. The container recommends 1-2 scoops and the samples serve 2 scoops; I should have taken only 1 scoop. I was pumped like a mofo. I was sweating my ass off, I hit a new squat PR, my heart was on fire (literally had to sit for about 10 minutes). Definitely trying again.

My 3rd level boss told me he hates people stealing his product because he constantly hooks his employees up with free supplements. "Want a 5 lb jug of Cellucore? Give me a call and I'll get it for you." About busted a nut when he said that.

#4,404 ·
Nice 5x5 with squats today. Squatting heavy twice a week is tough but I really like my current upper/lower split.

Bought a foam roller and honestly want to marry it.

#4,410 ·
I think it's messed up how much my bench sucks compared to my other lifts. It's unbelievable how bad I am. I'm barely benching 145 and I can't do more than 3 reps without a spotter helping me and I'm not even going all the way down (80%). What the fuck, I'm getting fed up with this shit. It's just the flat bench press that's plateauing. Incline and decline dumbbell presses have all progressed well over the last few weeks but bench is still the same as it was like 2 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.