Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennis Discussion Thread

244K views 7K replies 141 participants last post by  Nige™ 
#1 ·

Hot off the heels of an amazing French Open, the men and women now turn to the grass courts of Wimbledon. Can Rafa continue with his momentum, or can Novak wrestle it back? Can Federer rise up and collect another slam? Can Murray get a breakthrough slam in front of his home crowd? Will there be a darkhorse shocker like Tomic :side: to come through and take the world by storm?

I'm thoroughly looking forward to this event, it's my favourite slam and I'm really hoping to see some great tennis on display. As far as the ladies go, you'd have to think Sharapova, Kvitova, Serena, Azarenka etc will all be in the mix, Stosur a slight chance provided she doesn't choke it up in monumental fashion, and well, who knows with the women, Wozniacki might even break through and break her duck.

June 25th, can't come soon enough.

See less See more
#265 ·
re: Official Tennis Discussion Thread

I don't think anyone who actually follows tennis regularly over here actually expects Murray to win Slams. If they do they shouldn't. It's more the people who tune into Wimbledon each year and support Murray because he's British who, more so the ones who go along who put the pressure on him. The journalists do it more in hope than expectation, then when he loses like he has in all his finals and the semi finals at Wimbledon, they tell it like it is that he was outclassed, which has been true in all his defeats at Wimbledon against Rafa & Roddick, plus the Slam finals where he's never even taken a set. He's just not as good as people want him to be.

#276 ·

I knew Serena would win that match. her serve is just too strong, its impossible to break down. If Serena wins the first or second set in the final, she's going to win. Because there's just such a slim chance anyone will be able to break to attempt to win without the third set tiebreak. So my prediction...Serena Williams, in two.

I wont be able to watch tomorrow, I'm at work! :( I'll try get it on the work computer or in the bar though so I'll keep track. Can't wait for those two matches, both could be incredible. Have Federer and Djokovic every played on grass before? Gonna be some great shot making. And as for Murray/Tsonga, it could also be fantastic with great play between the two, let alone possibly being special for a different reason *cough* British guy in the final *cough*. My prediction for the final is...

Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray. With Djokovic winning. Even though I'd love Andy to do it.

#277 ·

I knew Serena would win that match. her serve is just too strong, its impossible to break down. If Serena wins the first or second set in the final, she's going to win. Because there's just such a slim chance anyone will be able to break to attempt to win without the third set tiebreak. So my prediction...Serena Williams, in two.

I wont be able to watch tomorrow, I'm at work! :( I'll try get it on the work computer or in the bar though so I'll keep track. Can't wait for those two matches, both could be incredible. Have Federer and Djokovic every played on grass before? Gonna be some great shot making. And as for Murray/Tsonga, it could also be fantastic with great play between the two, let alone possibly being special for a different reason *cough* British guy in the final *cough*. My prediction for the final is...

Novak Djokovic vs. Andy Murray. With Djokovic winning. Even though I'd love Andy to do it.
Federer and Djokovic have NEVER faced each other on grass. That's what makes this match even more exciting. I am hoping for a long 5 setter. Should be a great match. Will be inviting some mates over and will have some snacks and drinks.
Can't wait!!!!!

(Y)

#284 ·

Serena on beast mode today on her serve. Crazy shit. Think she got up to 24 Aces in just 2 sets. She was even hitting them off her 2nd serve. Hard to see anyone beating her at Wimbledon when she's playing like that. Nobody on the womens tour that comes close to her power. Can't see Radwanska beating her sadly. She's been playing doubles every other day too along with her singles run.

As for why women don't play 5 sets I think some but not all of it has to do with scheduling for these grand slams. When Mens matches go 5 sets and there's delays it causes enough of a headache but you'd need even more time if the womens draw were best of 5 sets too. Plus the women aren't physically as strong is true too. I'm sure they could play a 5 set match but probably not a tournament full of them. I doubt there'd be the same level of interest in womens tennis either if they were playing 5 sets.

#288 ·

I don't think the women are that inferior as far as stamina goes. But I think their style of play would make it much harder on them. Most men are better at getting quick points. That's what makes the 5-setters manageable for men.

I have to admit, it would be fun to see how Caroline Wozniacki would do in 5-sets. She looks fit enough to just grind everybody out.

#289 ·

Maybe they should stick to three sets and make grand slam finals five sets or something. That would be interesting.

#293 · (Edited)

I personally would like to see women play five sets. But I dont think they can do it. Maybe in a final but not the whole tournament.

Serena looking really good atm. Hope she wins it.

Can't wait for the Federer vs Djokovic. It is their first time playing on grass which makes it even more exciting.

#298 ·

Really excited about today but I might have to miss part of one of the matches if the Lancashire/Yorkshire match goes ahead since we got our tickets months ago. Hopefully the rain continues and it's called off because I really don't want to miss either match.

It'll be great to see how Djokovic fairs on grass against Federer. With Nadal out of the picture I'm sure Federer will sense he has a real shot of winning the tournament and getting back to number one if he can win today. That's a huge incentive for him, not that'll be easy. All the pressure's on Novak and that might help Federer.

As for the other one it should be a classic. I hate how everyone over here is talking like Murray's already in the final like they did three years ago before he got smashed by Roddick. Tsonga's a real tough opponent for him but obviously he can beat him. Tsonga's serve's been so good all tournament that Murray has to take his chances when he gets them. If Tsonga can keep his unforced errors down I think he'll take it, but Murray's so good at forcing his opponent into another shot that Tsonga might force his shots a bit.

Can't wait at all for an hour's time. Bring it on!:D I don't know why but I have a feeling it's going to be a Federer/Murray final.

#299 ·

Really excited about today but I might have to miss part of one of the matches if the Lancashire/Yorkshire match goes ahead since we got our tickets months ago. Hopefully the rain continues and it's called off because I really don't want to miss either match.

It'll be great to see how Djokovic fairs on grass against Federer. With Nadal out of the picture I'm sure Federer will sense he has a real shot of winning the tournament and getting back to number one if he can win today. That's a huge incentive for him, not that'll be easy. All the pressure's on Novak and that might help Federer.

As for the other one it should be a classic. I hate how everyone over here is talking like Murray's already in the final like they did three years ago before he got smashed by Roddick. Tsonga's a real tough opponent for him but obviously he can beat him. Tsonga's serve's been so good all tournament that Murray has to take his chances when he gets them. If Tsonga can keep his unforced errors down I think he'll take it, but Murray's so good at forcing his opponent into another shot that Tsonga might force his shots a bit.

Can't wait at all for an hour's time. Bring it on!:D I don't know why but I have a feeling it's going to be a Federer/Murray final.
Yeah, it is ridiculous. I think everyone forgot what Tsonga did to Djokovic in the Roland Garros. He had 4 match points. Murray will find it very hard.

Federer vs Djokovic might as well be the final since Tsonga nor Murray stand a chance of beating them in the final.

#301 ·

Nige™;11695381 said:
Murray wouldn't be either but I'd fancy Tsonga against Federer. He did beat him here last year from two sets down which just doesn't happen to Federer. It'd be different in a final but don't say neither stand a chance against Federer in the final. He's not the beast he was.
I know Tsonga beat him, but it is a final. They will be in so much pressure. Look at Murray, lost in straight sets in the 3 slam finals he has been in. I think the same will happen to Tsonga. I give them a chance against Federer, but against Djokovic they have no chance at all.

#302 ·

I know Tsonga beat him, but it is a final. They will be in so much pressure. Look at Murray, lost in straight sets in the 3 slam finals he has been in. I think the same will happen to Tsonga. I give them a chance against Federer, but against Djokovic they have no chance at all.
Yeah I know. It still cracks me up when I think back to those matches.

The difference with Tsonga is he doesn't feel the pressure as much as Murray does. Murray's bottled it but Tsonga's grown so much. He took it to Djokovic in France and never looked nervous. Djokovic was just too good on the match points that Tsonga didn't get a chance. Tsonga's match with Federer in the final at the O2 was so good too. He came back from a set down there and never showed any fear. He's got a chance against Federer, and slightly against Novak. Murray might as well not turn up if he beats Tsonga today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.