Wrestling Forum banner

The 2012 MOTYC thread

340K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  Alan4L 
#1 ·
#2,182 ·
Meh, Elgin/Richards is still my MOTY. I'd put it down to live bias as I was totally marking out in person, but then I still loved it on a rewatch. I can understand some of the criticisms levied against it, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with them. Personally I thought the match made Elgin a star. Since the match, he's relied too heavily on the 'kick out at 1' comeback towards the end of his matches, but back in March it was pretty cool and made him look like a beast, especially as it was done at just the right moment when everyone legit thought the match was over. Hey, I'm in the relative minority in thinking it was a terrific contest, but I thought I'd voice my opinion and come to its defense!

#2,189 ·
Meh, Elgin/Richards is still my MOTY. I'd put it down to live bias as I was totally marking out in person, but then I still loved it on a rewatch.
Same. I went in to the match wishing we'd gotten tickets to Night 1 but that match was fucking amazing. Me and my friend were on the rail and as soon as I got back to my 70 year old uncle, he just looks at me and says "5 stars." I thought it was more along the lines of **** 1/4 then when I rewatched it, I liked it even more and have it at **** 1/2 and one of my top 3 matches of the year.

I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks.

#2,183 ·
Richards/Elgin is a legit 5 star match. The crowd was hot the entire match and was clearly divided on who to cheer for, which bugs me about WWE & TNA fans. The spot where Davey kicked him and Elgin kicking out at 1 was awesome. Even Nigel on commentary was great. He was so into the match as well. If you don't like the match, that's fine.

#2,184 ·
My #1 MOTY is Okada/Tanahashi (6/16), which is a great example of how a clear, focused story based on smart, consistent work can make a great match.

My #2 MOTY is Richards/Elgin (Showdown in the Sun), which is a great example of how "two guys are gonna fight; who's gonna win?" can be more than enough of a story enough to make a great match all by itself.

#2,186 ·
Mystery vortex looks epic to say the least and really happy at how DDT4 is shaping up. PWG have another awesome year. I just wish I went unspoiled for mystery vortex,like imagine how awesome it would be not even knowing the card. I just couldn't help myself. Also why dafuq hasn't WWE or TNA picked up on Brian Cage?

Also why is JoeRulz humbled? :/

#2,191 ·
I just want to say..........where were all of you people when Richards/Edwards from BITW first came out and I was the only person on the thread talking about how shit it was?!?!?!?! seriously, I was saying all the same stuff about how everything in that match was done for NO FUCKING REASON and I was all alone.

I mean, better late then never people, but anyone who hates Richards vs. elgin has to hate Edwards/Richards from BITW even more for the exact same reasons.

#2,199 · (Edited)
Because it seems to be the cool thing to hate on Richards and Elgin now. When that match first came out, everyone on here (except you) was pissing their pants over it. Now they all hate it. Fucking bullshit if you ask me. Cactus gave it **** 1/2 at first and now he gives it * 3/4 (ratings are off the top of my head, forgive me if they are wrong). That is a pretty drastic drop. I thought the match was exciting as all hell and had me hooked from bell to bell. Sure there was no psychology and the selling was inconsistent but the point of wrestling is to entertain and that match did that for me in spades. (Edit: Oh, you are talking about another match. I was talking about SITS Shit. :) It pays to read. )

#2,192 ·
The match established Elgin as a top guy in ROH kayfabe speaking. I guess if the commentators put someone over enough then some people are gonna buy into it right? Or at least if DAVE does then they will. That was by miles his best showing I've ever seen from him. Still haven't seen anything from him that proves he's as good a worker as some people think though. I think for fans of the current ROH style they'll like anyone in that role who can pull their moves off.

Allmark tapes and uploads all them matches on youtube himself. Or at least his mate does. He's the head trainer at All-Star Wrestling UK with Mason (or something along those lines) so I guess he's pretty settled and happy in that role. He turns up on British Indy DVDs too on the undercard. I'd strongly consider for him for best worker of 2012. Need to catch up though. I'm behind on his youtube page all the way back to June now. Fucking assignments. It's funny how every match he uploads has "this was my 3rd/4th/etc match of the day" under the description. The All Star crew are pretty great (Allmark/Mason/Rampage/Dynamite). Sucks that more Mason doesn't turn unless it's with Allmark. There's a Mason/Zebra Kid match that's on youtube that's great. The whole All Star Legends show on Dean's page is awesome actually and there's another Finlay match btw. British wrestling scene has a ton of unearthed great workers right now that get no appreciation while Elgin and Davey get BITW thrown at them like it's nothing.

I remember WOOLCOCK spending the 2nd half of 2011 saying he'd watch that Mason/Allmark series. No faith man. That series last summer was so fun. Great wrestling and great angles. Them 2 rule.

Luke Gallows vs Charlie Dreamer - OSF 07.04.2012

Moops did you watch that ^. Can't remember if you were praising the Galllows/Davis matches from last year with WOOLCOCK but I can't see you not liking that. Gallows beats a skinny kid up all over a gym and Dreamer ends up being really good too. It's on their Youtube show for that date.

#2,193 ·
Watched a Legends show with Allmark v Zebra Kid, I think. I remember some tags on the show, but it was kinda my first time watching the guys so I recognised almost no one. :eek: Same show with Finlay/Danny Boy Collins, both were real good shit as well. I'm going to need to see the rest of Fit's run. Liked his match with Roddy Strong.

I've been watching some Rampage/Dynamite/Mason/other British dudes I've never seen before this month, etc. Did you see Rampage v Jack Gallagher? Gallagher was going in the massive underdog because Rampage is a giant machine or something and Gallagher was expecting someone else. The announcer was selling he shit out of it. Did you watch Dave Mastiff v Stixx and/or Mastiff v Sami Callihan? I'm liking Mastiff quite a bit.

I just finished watching Gallows/Dreamer like twenty minutes ago, actually. Gallows is a monster. Gallows' feud with Davis was rekindled this year so I gotta watch that + what they did last year. I didn't catch nothing last year. I watched some Gallows (and Masters) in Ring Ka King and it was OK.

#2,194 ·
It was Mason vs Zebra Kid on the Legends Show with Finlay/Collins. Allmark had a great little match with Johnny Storm on that show.

Haven't watched anything in months so I'm way behind on stuff that's come up recently so I haven't seen it.

Mastiff is fucking awesome. I've been trying to get him over for a few years now since he had a great singles match with Go Shiozaki. Might have been Go's best singles match off the top of my head. Mastiff ruled in it. The Stixx match is ok. Sami match rules. Almost everything I want from my wrestling. The whole show it's off is great actually. Awesome Finlay match on there too with Martin Kirby. There's a great Mastiff/Travis match this year from PCW. Imma upload some of this British stuff I have on DVD before the end of the year for people. I'm surprised NOAH never brought him over as he's had great matches with nearly all their top heavyweights - Shiozaki, Sugiura, Morishima. Warmed my heart when that Mastiff/Sami match got posted on WKO and everyone started jumping on the Mastiff bandwagon off the back of it.

#2,238 ·
I don't watch ROH or most of the other major Indies anymore so it's a lot easier to catch more obscure matches on youtube. Same for Japan bar New Japan right now.
I guess thats true. For me, there's a difference between comparing tow matches and saying that two matches had an identical story. Nevertheless, I see what you mean.

By the way....

Naito vs. Okada from G1 is fantastic. Like an awesome shorter version of their first match. The leg work is excellent, again. The finishing stretch is also fantastic. in the ****1/4 range, I think.
Yeah that match was fantastic. Not enough people have watched it for sure. That was the match that got me taking Okada seriously as possible WOTY for 2012.
Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada (NJPW G1 Climax 8/3) - **** 1/4 (Very close to calling this a 4.5 star match but it ended a little shorter than I would have liked. The finishing sequence was awesome.
This made the match better.
Okada/Naito 2 is top of my to watch list for this year. Then probably the two multi-man tags that have been pimped the last few pages. Can't think of anything else I feel like watching that's recent since I'm trying to get started with Parks & Recreation and I'd imagine that will end up stealing most of my time.

I know Seabs would say Dean Allmark, but then I'm sure he'd tell me to watch Parks over him? :)
Nothing is worth watching over PARKS. Shit, nothing is worth DOING over PARKS.

#2,202 ·
Nervosa bringing back the Eddie HATE~!

I've seen Davey/Elgin and enjoyed it quite a lot both times. Honestly maybe because of the commentary and crowd reaction, because put that match infront of a dead crowd and with Prazak or someone commentating and I bet I'd like it so much less.

#2,205 ·
Elgin/Davey was a hell of a lot better than Davey/Eddie. I liked Davey/Eddie loads back when it happened. Watched it maybe about 4 months ago or something and yeah, it is bad. Nervosa did you see their Final Battle rematch? Not sure when I've ever hated watching wrestling that much before.

#2,206 ·
See, that makes sense to me. Even if you hate Elgin/Davey, you have to admit its better than Eddie/Davey.

No, I did not watch the Final Battle rematch. I heard 'BITW was way better' and decided there's nothing in the world that could make me want a second helping of that shit.

#2,213 ·
Ah yes, the good old days. That argument, and the one over Triple H/Taker are the classics. I still think he is dead wrong about both matches, but I have a lot of respect for him being willing to argue that long. At the same time, I was an asshole. I'm going out of my way to try to have more fun on here.

#2,214 ·
Oh god, Taker/HHH was the worst. Had idiots from the WWE forum spilling in here over that one to tell everyone who didn't like it that they were ROHbots and a bunch of other shit. That was genuinely annoying lol. I'd say it was the most active this section has been for the last three or so years though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.