Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien Sandow Discussion

159K views 1K replies 438 participants last post by  CarolinaCoog 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

A little biased considering I've been watching him grow in FCW for the past few years, but man, this guy is awesome.

I love the entrance.

I also love how it looks like they're gonna slowly build up to the "Diva" gimmick reveal when he finally takes off the robe for a match. Should be great!

See less See more
1 1
#399 ·
Yes, he does. Him holding the Intercontinental Championship for a year, or at most two, would not only do the title good if treated right but would do him and his character very well. To rush him to main event status or floundering (ala ADR) does him no favors. We all said the same thing about Del Rio in his initial months in the WWE but look at him now? He's JUST getting reactions finally instead of crickets.

Yes, I know you think wrestlers are failures unless they are World champions :)rolleyes:) but I think Sandow as a long term IC champion would do him favors than a rushed main event run.

#146 ·
You'll hate his theme music even more when you hear his old one, lol.

I agree, though, he shouldn't do a squash match, and he probably won't. I guess that was his whole deal with Bateman, he wants a more dignified debut than that. I'm just saying if he had wrestled, it wouldn't have given you a clear picture of his abilities because squash matches rarely, if ever do. Obviously you can tell if a guy is just fucking awful from a squash match, like Tensai, but if you're great or good or decent, your abilities can't be measured in 2 minutes, especially when the opponents job is to not fight back.

#168 ·
Yeah I get what you're saying. Like you though, I'm not too bothered about what he's like in the ring, because his character is the obvious selling point. And with all the squash matches happening lately (this is assuming he will compete in one) he won't really stand out in the ring. WWE could give a few fancy moves to help him stand out, similar to Cesaro, but if it's in a squash match then he just won't stand out I'm afraid. He needs to break the mold of the typical squash match debut, and much like his unique character, he needs a unique way to establish himself in the WWE.

This guys a breath of fresh hair. I really dig him.
I agree completely. He's one only things I'm enjoying in the WWE right now. He's given me a reason to actually watch SmackDown again, and if Christian and Barrett return SmackDown, the show would greatly improve from the pitiful state it's been in for the past few months.

#263 ·
Ya know, it's been awhile since someone has had a regular interview show, similar to Jericho's Highlight Reel or Christian's Peep Show. Sandow would be perfect in having something like this. He can call it "The Path to Enlightenment" or something like that, educating the masses, as he says, on the problems he has with today's entertainment and pop culture and how it offers no intellectual or moral values.

He could also have interviews with wrestlers he may be in potential feuds with, like Zack Ryder, Brodus Clay, Santino Marella, Ryback, among others. This could help him generate some great heat, and get the interviewee over, since they're getting mic time as well.

Just one thing I'd try to do with him if I was in creative.

#329 ·
#400 ·
Moreover, I think Sandow running with the Intercontinental Championship for 455 or more days with the character he has and ability to get under the fans' collective skin... especially if he were given some worthy midcard babyface opponents (Christian, Brodus Clay, a decently well-pushed Justin Gabriel, Tyson Kidd, Seth Rollins, Santino once he's done with the US Championship, Bo Dallas, Richie Steamboat, etceteras), could revitalize the Intercontinental Championship in a way that Cody Rhodes, for all of his own personal efforts, has ultimately failed to do because of WWE's lack of direction and focus on the Smackdown midcard, particularly in the babyface department. (And in comparison, Sandow already has a much more potent "standard-bearer" character in the making than Rhodes has had as Intercontinental Champion, partly because Rhodes's character was continuing to change in seismic ways during his reign.)

As for the post about facial hair and college professors, I've interacted with dozens of male professors at universities in the Bay Area (and as I noted, Sandow is billed from Palo Alto, CA--home of Stanford University), and at least nine out of ten of them had facial hair, and in all but a few cases they wore fairly considerable beards. As I already addressed, Sandow's beard is "a bit liberal in its length"; i.e., it's an exaggeration, just like the character in general.

Reactions: Snothlisberger
#424 ·
The "poorly chosen" ring attire is part of the gimmick. Another reason to hate him.

There is only the slightest similarity between Sandow and Lanny Poffo's "Genius" character. The "Genius" would recite awful poetry that sounded like it was written by a 5th grader. The "Mr. Backlund" gimmick is a bit closer, but his character focused on morality, not education. His character was also quite insane, and was the master of malopropism. I suspect we'll never hear Sandow murder the English language.

A key to making Sandow's gimmick payoff is hypocrisy - he's not really here to "help" the masses, he's putting them down for his own purposes. And as much decorum as he exhibits, he has the temper of a ten-year-old. And despite being "educated", he's not smart enough to avoid picking out "girlie" trunks and knee pads.

I'm welcome.

#426 ·
Damien Sandow has the potential to be one of the best heels coming out of 2012.

Reactions: MOX
#427 ·
I totally agree. He's already one of my favourites after one match and a handful of promos. I'm looking forward to seeing more of his nasty streak.

I've also started randomly green-repping people on here with the message 'You're welcome.' I lift my chin slightly and gaze disdainfully at the screen as I do so.

#429 ·
Just gotta say i have not been this excited about a smackdown since i have been watching wwe again for the past 2 years, and it is thanks to this man DAMIEN SANDOW. The guy has everything and has instantly jumped to number 2 on my fave 5. The guys has it all from what i've seen so far. The mic skills, the robe, the pink pants, the elegance and the stature. Also the fact that all the haters can diss him about is his pink pants is quite sad but also good because if that's all uz are clinging to in order to diss him go ahead, haterz gonna hate, i personally like his attire, its different and its refreshing. I have never been so impressed with a debutant in the WWE, i neva jump the gun and say someone is gonna b hge after 3/4 weeks but i really hope this guy is and i hope WWE push him to the main event asap as he is more appealing already than most of the heels, ADR, Cody, Dolph, Tensai, none of these guys get any heat whereas Sandow has instantly came in and got some good/bad reaction with his quirky lines like "can you please remain quiet whilst i am talking" i loved that line, also the bit in the ring to the ref "can you please keep him away, ref" AMAZING. Thats all for now

Reactions: Kratosx23
#598 ·
Oh come on, they're just excited about a character, played naturally, with some actual personality. It's refreshing to see someone who looks like they're using their own words, and not just reciting a script.

And it's just my opinion, but I think you've got your first point backwards. I think the gimmick is OK, and the execution masterful.

#682 ·
Zack Ryder vs Sandow *spoilers*

Just got done watching this match and had to post that this is bullshit. How are they going to let a new comer beat Ryder and then place him in the MITB!?

ARE YOU SERIOUS BRO!?

No body likes this fruit loop looking asshole. Obviously a lot of people on the forums don't like Ryder but those on the outside love the guy and he's entertaining as hell. Now we all know that Sandow is going to MITB and he's going to lose because they aren't just going to give the guy a title and he's only been there for like a month...

/rant

Come at me.:frustrate:mad::cuss:

#698 ·
Re: Zack Ryder vs Sandow *spoilers*

/rant

Come at me.:frustrate:mad::cuss:
Did you get your red rep from this post? I wouldn't be fucking surprised if you did. (Sandow fans are biased as fuck) (N)

I agree but not because I dislike Sandow (I'm neutral), or because I like Ryder (though I do, he shouldn't be in the match anyway), but because Sandow has only been on WWE TV for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.