Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Rob Van Dam-ECW World Champion?

View Single Post

Old 06-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Viking Hall
Jeff Harvey

Viking Hall is an after thoughtViking Hall is an after thought
Default Re: Rob Van Dam-ECW World Champion?

ECW was slightly different Championship-wise than most promotions, whereas in other promotions you have your top title and then the other titles slowly drop through the ranks, in ECW you had fewer titles and so just to hold one was a big deal. To me there was no clear main title in ECW, you had your Tag belts and then the two singles belts both of which tended to be the main focus of the shows. If you look at the list of names that held the TV Title, it's arguably the more prestigious of the two titles when it comes to name value and influential holders so when you consider how long Van Dam held it for as well some of the matches and rivalries he had during that time, its more than comparable to a World Title run.

I think as the years go on you will find this question popping up more and more as people just read the name of the title and presume it was the second tier belt in ECW rather than a really big deal during one of the strongest periods in Professional Wrestling. Just reading through some of the holders is like the who's who of Professional Wrestling, Jimmy Snuka, Terry Funk, Sabu, Taz, Mikey Whipwreck, Scorpio, Dean Malenko, Eddy Guerrero, Shane Douglas, Chris Jericho, Bam Bam Bigelow and Rhino are all former holders, most of which held it at a time when they were considered among the best in the world, it reads like a hall of fame. Whether or not Van Dam was ever meant to hold the Heavyweight Title is neither here nor there for me, this was his World Title run and it is still considered to this day one of the best that company ever had.