Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

600K views 8K replies 532 participants last post by  adamclark52 
#1 ·
Unlike HDNet, the weekly broadcasts will air at different times and for those of us abroad, we'll be seeing it at all different times online too, so I guess we can discuss events/happenings here.

Here's the preview for this week.

SBG have brought some great technical leaps since HDNet. The Haas/Benjamin segment with them holding the belts looks real clear, for instance.

Can't wait.

#407 ·
The only thing i liked about this weeks episode were the highlights of the last one, which isn't good. The tag match was crumbly without any distinctive control, and i gave up on Elgin and Edwards from the moment they did the utterly meaningless, take it in turns, forearm exchange spot. Not much story this week, just a lot of filler between two bland matches. Quite apathy inducing really.

#408 ·
I usually don't agree with Seabs when it comes to ROH, but I think he's pretty much dead on with this one.

The new show has done absolutely nothing for me. This can be summed up best via the fact that highlight of these first four shows has been some idiot fan yelling "Bring back Kevin Steen" into a microphone, and not, as it should be, the wrestling. The wrestling has been fine. There's been nothing bad by any means, and it's still the best wrestling on television by a long, long way, but it's been nothing spectacular either. I'm fully aware of the transitional and introductory nature of the programme too, and in wrestling greatness comes through freshness, originality and storytelling, something that is hard to achieve in four weeks worth of shows using a bunch of matches we have mostly seen before.

But Kevin Kelly has not only been terrible; the man has been downright scary. Surely I can't be the only one who feels uncomfortable watching him? The man looks so psychotic I half expect him to whip out a razor blade and slash Nigel's throat at any second.

I'm sure it will get better, though. I bloody hope so, otherwise I have precisely no modern wrestling to watch. I can't keep living in the 80s. It's warping my mind.

#410 ·
As far as the production and presentation issues are concerned, I don't think anyone has bought ROH's budget into consideration. Not for nothing, how much is actually funded into the TV Show? What financial processes are handled by SBG, if all of it? Granted, I haven't been super impressed with the show it is way to early to start screaming make-or-break IMO. Even though I do wish they could at least use a venue like CZWs instead of just curtains.

Personally, I felt that ROH got off on the wrong foot with the first episode as far as introducing fans to the product. Not to mention that taped shows mixed with iPPVs and Open (DVD) Live Events can (potentially) confuse some of their watchers. I honestly get the same feeling watching this show as I did with their HDNet Show minus the production. I think ROHtv needs to be way more streamlined than it is currently.

If they want to incorporate "Tweet of the Week" or any social medium into their program for the love of all that is good, don't take shots at WWE... everyone takes shots at WWE and it comes as off as pathetic. Use specific tweets to put the show over without damaging the product's integrity. Oh yeah, the fan thing is stupid as well.

If I were to show someone who has never watched Ring of Honor the past episodes I can almost promise that they wouldn't be impressed. IMO The show seems more dedicated to serving the fanbase they already have rather than aiming for expansion and growth.

#412 ·
IMO The show seems more dedicated to serving the fanbase they already have rather than aiming for expansion and growth.
no, it's absolutely not that.

we'll see what happens once the introductory period is over but so far this has been more skippable than HDNet.

#411 ·
E04 Thoughts

- Thought the stuff that they did with the commentators was great. I'm sick of the Michael Coles: 1) Seeing injustices clearly first time and 2) Not caring.
- The magazine type stuff is really informative and reminds me of (cult UK reference) Transworld Sport. Perfect for late night or weekend afternoon TV.
- Elgin is the kind of guy that will go on a three month tour of Japan, at some point, and come back as the best thing going in wrestling. You can see it in him.

- Main gripe: Length of the tapings meant that much of the crowd had rushed off to get home. Visibly less people there on this episode. Quieter too. Something that can, realistically, be improved upon.

Transworld btw:

#421 ·
Something about this show just hasn't clicked for me. Part of it could be that I was there live and I couldn't imagine watching some of those matches again. I agree there needs to be a name and better credits. Briscoes are always entertaining and I wish Jay was feuding with Davey or something rather than chase the tag belts again. They just need some compelling feuds and more interesting TV.

#424 ·
Episode 4(10/15) in the books. Overall I gotta say it was the most underwhelming episode thus far. Right off the bat you could tell there were some people who had the left the show. Crowd wasn't as lively and they took the lights off of them.

Briscoes/ANX was there. Briscoes video package beforehand was the real highlight. Hilarious stuff. The match was ok but I wanted more of an old school formula. Control segment wasn't long enough and the finish was meh. At the time of the tapings, having Jimmy revoke the win and saying no one are the number one contenders makes sense to set up Ladder War, but when the episode airs well after that match it's get you scratchin your head. Not their best encounter. **3/4

None of the other video segments really did anything for me. Although I will say I think Lethal has the most charisma of everyone on the roster.

Edwards/Elgin kinda disappointed me as well. Wasn't bad at all, just felt like they were rushing through things. Runnin through spots, not selling them enough, and again I wanted a long control segment that wasn't there. Edwards suicide dive to the outside was pretty awesome but besides that I think their Defy or Deny match was much better. And please, do not tease me with Nigel if he's not gonna wrestle. ***1/4

#427 ·
Edwards/Elgin kinda disappointed me as well. Wasn't bad at all, just felt like they were rushing through things. Runnin through spots, not selling them enough, and again I wanted a long control segment that wasn't there. Edwards suicide dive to the outside was pretty awesome but besides that I think their Defy or Deny match was much better. And please, do not tease me with Nigel if he's not gonna wrestle. ***1/4
Maybe they got their time cut

The show was running around midnight I believe

#425 ·
First match for the third tapings:

World TV Title Rematch
Jay Lethal (c) vs. El Generico

And a new letter from Corino:

Steve Corino said:
Facing My Demons And Looking For Forgiveness

My name is Steve Corino and I am an Evil person.

Everyday I try to get better but today I felt like I needed to write because of what Edgar Allen Poe described in “The Telltale Heart” as an “over-acuteness of the senses”. Nervousness...Regret.

In September, I left Ring Of Honor and the possibility of a one-on-one match with El Generico at Death Before Dishonor in New York City, for a tour of Japan. I knew The Monster was around. I knew what He would do. But I left anyway. And I was wrong to do that.

Every night in Japan, I would stay up and wonder what The Monster would do in New York City. I wondered how the fans would react. I wondered if both Jimmy Jacobs and El Generico would survive. I tried to sleep but I could feel my heart beat.

I knew that one day I would have to face my demons and wrestle El Generico. I can’t get out of it. ROH won’t let me.

For almost a year now, I have begged and pleaded for management, staff, wrestlers, and fans to forgive me. I have changed. I am not the man that I was a year ago. It is not easy. I do have temptations. You can’t expect me not to have them. But I have done so much wrong that I don’t expect anyone to trust me.

As my heart beats through my chest, I know that I have to get in the squared circle and face the man that I tried to destroy. I am ready. But I also know the possibility that The Monster is near. I know that if He does get involved, it could lead to my termination at Ring Of Honor. I created this Monster and ultimately I am responsible.

Maybe it is time for me to accept this as my penance. Maybe it will be my sacrifice. Maybe this is my legacy.

I am ready.

Steve Corino

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”- Mark Twain
Corino Vs Steen at Final Battle FTW!!!!!!!

#426 ·
--ROH has announced a policy with the ROH title involving non-title matches. Whenever an ROH champion is in a non-title match instead of it being called non-title, it will be called a "Proving Ground" match the stipulation is that if the champion loses a "Proving Ground" match, or goes to a draw, he will get an automatic championship shot within 60 days. They also announced ROH champion Davey Richards vs. Kyle O'Reilly in a Proving Ground match on 10/30 for Rampage Pro Wrestling in Warner-Robins, GA at Johnny G's Fun Center.
I don't hate the idea. Especially if it sees decent outsiders come in for shots at Davey to freshen things up.

#433 ·
I like the Proving Ground idea. I also like it when champions defend the belt in different companies, so I don't mind this concept following Davey around. Hopefully O'Reilly doesn't get anything close to a win over Davey for at least a year or so. Elgin needs to be booked a little stronger, though.

Welcome to the PG era.

#435 ·
Davey/Elgin is gonna be fucking awesome. HoT get involved and Elgin gets the win, setting up what should be a balls awesome title match. Therefore leaving it open for someone else to win SOTF. Ciampa, Cole, I'd even take ol Jay Briscoe. If Elgin loses to Davey, he's winning SOTF.

#437 ·
Why do they have to make a big idea about this Proving Ground thing too. Surely if someone pins the champ clean or goes to a time limit draw with them then they'd be expected to get a title shot anyway? The article was really odd when they plugged the match only to say it'd be taking place in another promotion.

I wonder if they decide to turn a blind eye to any New Japan guys who pin Davey when he's over there.

Where has Davey defended the title outside of ROH so far?

#439 ·
Nice that they're trying to make non-title matches mean something but I think it'll fall by the wayside like the Pick 6. Davey/Elgin should be a good match regardless.

#461 ·
Richards pinned Devitt for the Jr Titles, maybe he challenge for Devitt's title. And maybe, if Prince retains, we could have a Richards Vs Devitt at ROH for the title.
would be nice to see Devitt in the US. or if Davey wins the Jr title we can make a pic that has Davey with every title in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.