Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unpopular Sport opinions

11K views 166 replies 59 participants last post by  BruiserKC 
#1 ·
I seen ones for wrestling, so why not one for sports?

Football (Soccer)

- Messi isn't and won't ever be the GOAT until he signle handidly wins the world cup with Argentina.

- Iniesta is better than Ronaldo

- Ramires is the most under-rated player in world football

- David Luiz is good.

- Garry Cahill is Englands best centre back

- Phil Jones is over-rated

- Even though i'm English, i have never supported the English national side.

- The goal that never stood in the 2010 England vs Germany match is justice for 1966. Hirst's goal never went over the line. People just want to believe it did

- The English Premier League is over-rated

- English fans are amongst the worst in Europe. They get shown up by other fans when ever a team comes over here to play an english club

- Van Persie is over-rated. pretty much, Everytime i have seen him play he's been poor.

MMA

- Michael Bisping was robbed against Chael Sonnen

- Renan Barao is the best 135lbser in the world

- Brock Lesnar was under-rated towards the end of his career

- Fedor is not the GOAT

See less See more
#2 ·
Chelsea fan eh?

I've never cared for England, not since I was a kid anyway. Last time I gave a fuck would probably be the '98 World Cup. That's pretty common amongst most people I know. If it came down to England winning a tournament or Liverpool winning a throw in I'd opt for the throw in.

And the Premier League is over-rated.

My own personal ideas?

Golf isn't a fucking sport.

#3 ·
okay i've got a lot. But i wont list them all.

Football- John Terry is way past it, not even that old but he's past it. Has been for a while, he's decent but wouldn't start for England if I got to pick the team. I'm surprised he still starts for Chelsea.

Joe Hart is a very good keeper but of no fault of his own, massively overrated by everyone. He's made a good few errors for England that a keeper like Rob Green would be slaughtered for. He's actually made more mistakes for England than Rob Green. His kicking can be flat and terrible but he always gets away w/it and commentators tend to go silent when he does it. The media and pundits love him, give him a much easier time than they do the likes of De Gea.

Reina is a terrible goalkeeper, he's riding on his reputation of some clean sheet streak from years ago and he has his defence to thank for that. Decent shot stopper but not fantastic, dodgy w/crosses and just generally not that great.

#5 ·
Football;

1) Even if Lampard's goal against Germany at the WC 2010 stood, it would have not changed the game and made a whit of difference. England still would have been comprehensively beaten.
2) Wayne Rooney is overrated and overhyped. Good player but not God's gift to English football as some fans and the media claim/think.
3) The invincibles Arsenal side were the best team in the world that season hands down, even if they didn't win the C/L.
4) Barca's tiki-taka style of football is boring.
5) I always thought that Ricardo Quaresma had as much potential as Ronaldo but failed to fulfill it.
6) Even if Beckham had stayed on the field v Argentina in 1998, Argentina would have still gone through.
7) Ibrahimovic is overrated.
8) Even though they are both legends, Bergkamp was slightly better than Henry.
9) Fernando Morientes was better than Raul.
10) I have not supported the English national side in a major tournament since the 2002 World Cup.
11) I actually enjoyed the Greeks win the Euro Championships in 2004 because it reinforced the belief that football is still unpredictable and anything can happen and every now and again, an underdog can still pull off a massive shock.
12) Manuel Neuer is the best GK in the world, even more so than Casillas and Cech.

Cricket

1) India are a shit test side.
2) Australia's whitewash of England in the 2006/7 Ashes was not because they were unbeatable. It was because England were piss poor.
3) Muralitharan was a better bowler than Shane Warne.
4) Kevin Pieterson is overrated.
5) M.S Dhoni is not a great captain.
6) Brett Lee was a better bowler than Glenn McGrath.

Rugby;

1) Even though the final was won in suspect circumstances, South Africa's world cup win in 1995 was one of the most incredible stories in sports history;
2) Apart from good kicking ability, Johnny Wilkinson could not do a fuck lot else;
3) Matt Dawson was fucking shite. Almost as bad as Andy Farrell and Mike Tindall.

#6 ·
Re: some points

On the Messi bit, don't worry. He is Mr. Destiny and 2014 is his destiny.

Damn, Cricket... I completely stopped watching Cricket after Lara retired. Watched the WCs here and there but find it so boring these days. 20-20 is so shitty.

#7 ·
I think everyone agrees with me now, but before I used to say:

Andrei Arshavin is massively overrated.

I also used to say Clint Dempsey was criminally underrated, but now that he's had a great season he is getting his praises.

And also I agree with whoever said Pepe Reina is a terrible keeper (especially for a team who is trying to compete at a high level). His laughable errors keep increasing year by year.

#10 ·

Football (Soccer)

- Messi isn't and won't ever be the GOAT until he signle handidly wins the world cup with Argentina.

- Iniesta is better than Ronaldo

- Ramires is the most under-rated player in world football

- David Luiz is good.

- Garry Cahill is Englands best centre back

- Phil Jones is over-rated

- Even though i'm English, i have never supported the English national side.

- The goal that never stood in the 2010 England vs Germany match is justice for 1966. Hirst's goal never went over the line. People just want to believe it did

- The English Premier League is over-rated

- English fans are amongst the worst in Europe. They get shown up by other fans when ever a team comes over here to play an english club

- Van Persie is over-rated. pretty much, Everytime i have seen him play he's been poor.

MMA

- Michael Bisping was robbed against Chael Sonnen

- Renan Barao is the best 135lbser in the world

- Brock Lesnar was under-rated towards the end of his career

- Fedor is not the GOAT
Spot on

#14 ·

Football (Soccer)

I see you're drawing comparisons between Messi and Maradona and the widely stated opinion that Maradona carried Argentina to World Cup glory. The thing is, that was a different era. The modern game is by far a more intricate game with there being an abundance of phenomenal players. That being said it's impossible for any player in the modern era to carry their team through a major tournament because the opposition is so fierce.

#20 ·
The point is, is that Messi has never stepped up in an International tournament like Pele, maradona etc have. He has got plenty of time to do this of course, but until he does, he is not the GOAT.

#21 ·
- Scotland have the best international fans. (Oh, and it was announced today Scotland are playing England at Wembley in 2013, to mark the FA's 150th anniversary.)
- Rangers have the best club fans and are a better club than Celtic in other ways than form.
- Supporting Rangers in general... No one likes us we don't care.. (Which I don't think is true, but that's part of one of our songs.
But I thin neutral football fans that don't support Rangers or Celtic would maybe choose Rangers..).

#23 · (Edited)
Murray is not at the top level. It will be a suprise if he wins a grand slam. He can't get past the top 3 atm
What a pointless post.

You didn't comprehend what I said whatsoever, unless you're trying to say Safin and Hewitt would be winning slams in this era? Murray is a top level player being dwarfed by the 2 best ever, and Djokovic who has been even above those two in the past 18 months.

The point is, is that Messi has never stepped up in an International tournament like Pele, maradona etc have. He has got plenty of time to do this of course, but until he does, he is not the GOAT.
Maradona fair enough, but Pele did nothing significant in his domestic career, i.e. 90% of the football he played, because he wasted it playing in Brazil.

#24 ·
Maradona fair enough, but Pele did nothing significant in his domestic career, i.e. 90% of the football he played, because he wasted it playing in Brazil.
I see your point with Pele, but he did step up in the big stage (world cup). I would say that him and Messi are perhaps on a par atm, because of Messi's amazing club record. But to over-take Pele, Messi needs to step up in an international tournament imo.

#38 ·
Messi not performing for Argentina is a myth. He does 95% of the time. The problem is that managers don't know how to use him and the managers Argentina hires are usually very naive. Messi is most of the time, if not always the best player on the pitch for Argentina.

Finally Sabella is getting it right with the front three of Aguero-Messi-Higuain. He is using Messi in an advanced role--constantly switching roles with Higuain.

A front-three of them, with Lavezzi and Tevez as back-ups and midfield trio of Pastore-Banega-Macherano, Argentina can be unbeatable if the defense is sorted out.

#39 ·
I never said that he didn't. I was pointing out, that he hasn't done it in a major tournament with them. I have seen him perform at the international stage (against Brazil)

#40 ·
Here's my popular opinion. The OP knows fuck all about football :troll

#46 ·
:penaldo

Football:

John Terry is a brave but mediocre talent who was only ever world class when paired with world class defenders.

England never had a golden generation. They had 3-4 world class players and a ton of overrated ones alongside them.

Messi can score 1,000, goals for Barcelona but must shine with Argentina at a world cup to become the GOAT. Maradona did so with an Argentina team that had nowhere near the depth of talent as the current squad.

Gerd Muller was a far superior striker to Pele. Loads of Pele's goals were scored in bullshit leagues whereas Muller scored more goals than games at freaking international level, won the world cup and European championships scoring tons of important goals in both triumphs and was part of one of the greatest club teams in the history of football.

Tennis:

Henman was not a choker, he simply got outclassed by everyone (Grosjean, Hewitt, Sampras) except from Ivanisevic who then took his game to another level in the wimbledon final against Pat Rafter. Why everyone thinks Henman could have comfortably defeated a two grand slam champion in the final is strange to say the least.

Hewitt was a fantastic talent with a great arsenal of weapons who only started to slip down the rankings when he was constantly drawn to play Federer in grand slams and appeared to lose his previously indestructible spirit.

Justine Henin would now be chasing Graf's Open era Grand Slam record if she hadn't oddly retired at a young age. She had begun to own Serena Williams on all surfaces and was only a slam or two behind her rival before she initially called it quits in 2008.
I actually agree with all of these. None of them really strike me as unpopular either (apart from Muller > Pele), particularly the tennis ones. Serena on top of her game beats Henin though imo, it's just a shame the standard of women's tennis has declined so rapidly in the past 3-4 years, the era of the Williams sisters against the Belgians was far more interesting, I couldn't tell you the winner of most women's slams in the past couple of years, pretty sure there's been a couple of grandslamless number ones in that time too (the manly Russian and Woziniacki).

I'll post some of my own later.

#42 ·
Football:

John Terry is a brave but mediocre talent who was only ever world class when paired with world class defenders.

England never had a golden generation. They had 3-4 world class players and a ton of overrated ones alongside them.

Messi can score 1,000, goals for Barcelona but must shine with Argentina at a world cup to become the GOAT. Maradona did so with an Argentina team that had nowhere near the depth of talent as the current squad.

Gerd Muller was a far superior striker to Pele. Loads of Pele's goals were scored in bullshit leagues whereas Muller scored more goals than games at freaking international level, won the world cup and European championships scoring tons of important goals in both triumphs and was part of one of the greatest club teams in the history of football.

Tennis:

Henman was not a choker, he simply got outclassed by everyone (Grosjean, Hewitt, Sampras) except from Ivanisevic who then took his game to another level in the wimbledon final against Pat Rafter. Why everyone thinks Henman could have comfortably defeated a two grand slam champion in the final is strange to say the least.

Hewitt was a fantastic talent with a great arsenal of weapons who only started to slip down the rankings when he was constantly drawn to play Federer in grand slams and appeared to lose his previously indestructible spirit.

Justine Henin would now be chasing Graf's Open era Grand Slam record if she hadn't oddly retired at a young age. She had begun to own Serena Williams on all surfaces and was only a slam or two behind her rival before she initially called it quits in 2008.

#110 ·
Football:

Justine Henin would now be chasing Graf's Open era Grand Slam record if she hadn't oddly retired at a young age. /QUOTE]

It's not like she retired at her peak or anything her quality dipped big time in 08 and she had gotten routed by Serena and Maria,lost to Schiavone and Safina and needed 3 hours to beat Srebotnik in Dubai. Like Bjorg she saw she was on the decline and decided to get the f out.

#45 ·
There is an element of that but people underestimate his skill imo. He just didn't have the tools to compete with Federer and was nearly always drawn to play him in Grand slams and he was also a really underrated clay courter who unfortunately encountered Nadal four times on the surface in what must have been a screwjob from the authorities who hated his attitude. The timing of his return against big servers was awesome and some of his lobs were breathtaking in their execution.

#59 ·
don't have to tell me about people underestimating Hewitt. Being Australian he carried 'australian tennis' for years and was constantly attacked by our media. He was always a far better player when he was yelling out cmon at the end of a winner etc. Which may sound dumb but for mine its all a big psychological advantage yelling out cmon and pumping yourself up. He got bagged so much that he's toned so far down he just doesn't have the same edge mentally.

I'd almost put him in a similar category to Murray in the sense that neither are bad players but the elite players will/did handle them.

#47 · (Edited)
Muller better than Pele? I can only assume you've seen very little footage of Pele. When Pele first emerged, no one had ever seen a talent quite like him. I actually don't like him at all as a man, and I do agree that FIFA do trump him up a lot and perhaps make him seem better than he was (as his peak was actually earlier on in his career, and somewhat short lived after injury took away his blistering pace, ala fat Ronaldo), but there is no doubting his extraordinary talent.

Also worth noting that back in the 70s, the quality in European football wasn't that much better than in South America.

I suspect you think your being quite 'cool' in having that opinion and not believing in 'FIFA's agenda/conspiracy' but really your just being a massive idiot. You can ask any football expert worth their salt who have seen a lot of each of Muller and Pele, ask them who's better and there is only one answer. I rate Muller quite highly too, but come on. Pele was legitimately an amazing player, and the only forwards that can really hold up compared to him are Maradona, Di Stefano and potentially Messi.

#51 ·
Actually you're the massive idiot for being so obviously clueless about Muller's achievements. More goals than games for Germany when it's hard enough to average a goal per game for club let alone country. He scored 66 goals in 74 European cup matches posting the greatest ratio ever seen in the tournaments history. He only went to two world cups yet scored fourteen goals over the course of both events including victory in the 1974 final where naturally he scored the winning goal. Two years before that he won the European Championships with Germany where he earned another Golden Boot and scored two goals in the final.

But no, I'm just being cool, I have absolutely no evidence to back me up whatsoever.

#49 ·
This is pretty tough actually.

Football:

Andres Iniesta is the second best player of the last 15-20 years, behind Messi. He's influenced far more games than the next best (Zidane) ever managed and has for the last 4-5 years and will continue to in the future dominate European, Domestic and International football with Spain and Barcelona sides who both look far more vulnerable without him, particularly Spain.

Cricket:

50 overs is a redundant format and the World Cup should be scrapped to accomodate for the popularity and short term thrill of Twenty20 and the prestige, history, and widely regarded higher level of Test Cricket.

Shane Warne and Brian Lara are the best cricketers of the last 20 years, not Sachin Tendulkar.

Tennis:

Rafa Nadal, if he isn't already, will be the GOAT by the end of his career, simply because he's a better and more successful player than Federer for at least the last 4 years and totally dominated his other rival (Djokovic) up until the beginning of last season. This won't be an unpopular opinion though once he passes 16 slams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.