Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Classic Wrestling General Discussion & Review Thread

View Single Post

Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #30 (permalink)
Suzukigun

777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading777 has posts worth reading
Default Re: Classic Wrestling General Discussion & Review Thread

This next one holds a special place in my heart as my favorite match of all-time. I was about 16 years old at the time and it was when I really started to analyze the details of what makes a great match.

Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramon - Wrestlemania X - Ladder Match for the IC Title

I had seen ladder matches prior to this contest, having grown up watching Stampede Wrestling, but nothing I had ever seen in the world of professional wrestling could have prepared me for this. These two took a mediocre gimmick match and turned it into a combination ballet/spectacle/bar brawl.

The build and character work leading up to the match was new and innovative as 'the Bad Guy' had become a full-fledged babyface based solely off of Hall's incredible charisma. Since he first kicked Jannetty through the Barbershop window I had (and continue to) hated the prissy, preening prima donna in HBK, that said, there's not much I enjoy more than watching him get the living tar kicked out of him. I was stoked for this match and 'my guy' was the hero for once.

Holy shit. Before there was ever a 'holy shit' chant.

It changed everything. Spot after spot without giving up an inch in storytelling, matches would never be the same again, this was the new gold standard. I hate when interviews make like Scott didn't play his part ("HBK and a ladder") because despite being limited in-ring, Hall was a great hand who understood the cardinal rule that 'it's not what you do, but when/how/why you do it'. Michaels fans can always look back at this one as his break-out work. Both men deserve a tonne of credit for making history.

I've heard sentiment that the match doesn't hold up, but it's still my favorite and I watch it every couple years. While other ladder matches have come along and expanded on the work created that day, there will always be a 'first' and a wonderful sense of nostalgia that accompanies it.

I love professional-wrestling.

"One thing I found out through my experiences in life is that if I don't like something, usually it's me who has to change." - Eddie Guerrero
777 is online now   Reply With Quote