Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Hulk Hogan 1993

Thread: Hulk Hogan 1993
View Single Post

Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
the modern myth
GET MY BAGS

the modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a pushthe modern myth is getting a push
Default Re: Hulk Hogan 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoaries View Post

I also feel bad for Bret. First Flair disappoints him and first ever world title win isn't broadcast on a big time television show (like a PPV/Superstars etc), then Vinnie & Hulk get over on him at WM 9, then Hulk refuses to drop the strap to him, then Vinnie puts the screws to him further by trying to replace him with Luger. After all that he still remained loyal and worked hard and after Yoko was done, Hogan was gone and Luger had failed, all that was left was Bret. That's a damn shame.

I won't go into the whole deal with Backlund, Diesel & HBK but it seemed like Bret had a really hard time keeping up with the politics of the WWE and he was made a fool of far too many times for my liking.
Yeah, Bret definitely got shafted by the WWF. By giving him the title in such a low key way, it implied that they were almost ashamed of him being champion. They never booked the Flair/Hart PPV rematch (which they could've done at Royal Rumble 1993 instead of rushing Razor Ramon into the title match). Getting that big PPV win would have been really good for Bret's reign. As good as his match with HBK was Survivor Series 1992, Shawn wasn't really a world title contender at the time and it didn't really elevate Bret the way that a match with somebody like Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair or Randy Savage would have done.

I agree that they fucked him over when it came to losing the title as well. Giving the title to Hulk Hogan was such a slap in the face to Bret. Taking him out of the title scene to feud with Jerry Lawler was also a bit disrespectful. The only upshot was that it all built to the Bret/Owen feud, which was the best feud of the era in my opinion.