Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, ROH, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Classic Wrestling General Discussion & Review Thread

View Single Post

Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Clique
SUPERPOWER

Clique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on repClique whored out on rep
Default Re: Classic Wrestling General Discussion: Review & Recommend Wrestlers/Matches/Shows

BruiserKC, I watched every minute of those clips. I enjoyed watching it very much. The match shouldn't have been a scientific affair as it was a personal issue that had to be FOUGHT inside the hellacious steel cage. I want to see brawling and goodness knows Lawler can throw some of the best punches in wrestling. Idol did give him some stiff shots himself, though. I agree with you on the Memphis crowd being roped in by this battle and by the end it did look like they were going to attack Idol, Rich, and Dangerously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guy View Post
Clique I really like your reviews if you have the time could you please do one on the 2/3 falls match between Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko from ECW? I read about it in Eddie's book before he passed away and he wrote that it was his favorite match of all time, and that it was so special atmosphere wise because the hostile ECW crowd was known to give the wrestlers heat and throw things at them if they knew a wrestler was leaving the cult/company and word got out that both of them were leaving for WCW. Besides the fact of them leaving, they got a standing ovation. Was it really "that good". If you're busy I totally understand but yeah, would love your thoughts on that match, hopefully without telling me the result cause i plan on seeing it for the first time.

Thank you. I do plan on reviewing that match in the future and I recommend all of their matches in ECW and WCW to be viewed at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCal View Post
ALL HAIL LAWLER AND FUNK. God, I so wish Lawler had spent some time with Crockett/WCW. Could have done so much more. Amazing to think how incredible his career is without really leaving Memphis until he joined WWF.
Oh, can you imagine the alliances he would form with Dusty, Magnum, and the Rock n' Roll Express to oppose the Horsemen? The tag team battles would create so much heat they'd set the entire territory on fire! Flair vs. Lawler in a more extensive program, on a bigger stage, feuding for the NWA World's Heavyweight Championship will forever be a dream. Thinking about heel Lawler vs. Steamboat just kills me. Lawler in JCP/WCW indeed would have been amazing.

EDIT - speaking of Lawler and the Horsemen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ngOfK1ngs View Post
For Clique...

Here's another great match from two of the best to ever step foot on a wrestling canvas and create art:

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Steamboat for the Vacant WCW World Heavyweight Championship - WCW Saturday Night 05/14/1994

Everything about this wrestling match is awesome as you would expect from these two greats. The chain and counter-wrestling on the mat is so smooth and the transitions are seemingly effortless.

I love how they have a series of slaps to the face because it came off from Flair's perspective "Would you just quit already! I'M THE MAN!" From Steamboat's perspective it is "I won't be intimidated, I'm coming at you none-stop full speed!" That's really the core of Flair vs. Steamboat in all those years and spectacular minutes inside the ring.

The match is close to 40 minutes long (there are commercial breaks of course), the pace is never slow. Every sequence and hold had meaning towards the ultra-simplistic finish. What is so brilliant about this simple finish is while it may seem 'out of nowhere' on first watch, it really ties the entire story of this match together and that is whichever man caught the right move at the right time would win the match.

It doesn't matter if Flair's a conniving heel and Steamboat's a face, by the end of the match both men remain equals no matter the winner. And you knew the next time they faced each other you still wouldn't know which way the tide would turn on the Flair/Steamboat ride. Flair/Steamboat wrestling chemistry is incomparable. If you love their 1989 trilogy then you must see this match.

Last edited by Clique : 11-03-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed video
Clique is offline   Reply With Quote