Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Classic Wrestling General Discussion & Review Thread

View Single Post

Old 05-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Colossal Feline

777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500777 8001 - 8500
Default Re: Classic Wrestling General Discussion: Review & Recommend Wrestlers/Matches/Shows

The sense of admiration for Foley is palpable as he continues to work and bump despite obviously being in rough shape, I love the final five minutes even more than the huge spots.
The 'Under-Taker' chants after the first bump send shivers as the audience thrives on his sadism. Bloodlust at it's finest.

Speaking of Terry Funk, I'd like to add my first serious post in this thread.

Terry Funk vs Jerry 'The King' Lawler - Empty Arena Match - CWA 1981

Old school fans will remember this one well and newer fans who may be unaware would do well to not only watch, but pay close attention to this match. No, I don't mean looking for botches or flaws, I mean watching two masterful pro-wrestlers create a piece of business that encapsulates the imaginations and emotions of the viewers.

What we today consider 'hardcore' wrestling may have been popularized in the late 90s, but long standing wrestling fans could easily point to a myriad of matches dating back to the 70s that were just as violent and when you watch the footage you can easily see that ECW borrowed plenty of ideas from wrestling's past when putting together a product which seemed revolutionary. This match definitely carries that type of distinction, being an empty arena match (was it the first?) with the type of finish that was until that time unheard of. Lawler seemed to have a knack for skirting the line between work and shoot during his heyday.

As a child, I remember thinking what a 'madman' Terry Funk was. His use of profanity was shocking in that period of time and is the first instance I can actually remember words being 'bleeped' on television. He's so over the top and unreasonable, yet you never once doubt Terry's sincerity. And boy does he put 'hero' Lawler over with his heel work, a strange combination of cowardice and all-out aggression, all of this without a single armbar, leglock or body slam. It's a fight...and is presented as such with no pretense. Lawler's character, on the other hand, manages to maintain his heroic demeanor while displaying a level of ruthlessness necessary to tame such a wild beast.

And in the end, the audience feels sympathy for the Funker. Neither character changes their position, both come out looking incredibly strong and credible...and the viewer has been taken on a roller coaster ride of emotion. A great match that highlights a great feud between two legendary wrestlers.

I love professional-wrestling.

"One thing I found out through my experiences in life is that if I don't like something, usually it's me who has to change." - Eddie Guerrero

Last edited by 777 : 05-27-2012 at 01:49 PM.
777 is offline   Reply With Quote