Wrestling Forum banner

SCSA mic skills

12K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  StoneRockSvgTaker 
#1 ·
Does anyone else find that he's overrated for his mic skills? The guy usually just said stupid typical hard-ass strong 'bully' type things that would get the crowd rowdy. I don't really find that to be great 'mic skills'.

#2 ·
I agree that he is overrated on the mic..the guy says "Ass" at every promo and that's why everybody consider him a great mic worker.

Not saying he is not great on the mic but i wouldn't put him in the top 5.

#48 ·
I agree that he is overrated on the mic..the guy says "Ass" at every promo and that's why everybody consider him a great mic worker.
Uhhhhhh....no. Have you ever seen a Steve Austin promo? Have you seen his raw intensity, passion, believability, and ability to hold an audience in his hand? He captivated an audience without needing humor (Rock, Cena), arrogance (Flair), shock factor (Punk), ranting (Savage), psychology (Roberts), or anything else...he was just that fucking good. He's the best promo in the history of the business.

#9 ·
Right so that's irrelevant to the WWE, and scripted.

I'm not saying he's a bad mic worker or has no charisma (because he's pretty charismatic) I just wanna know if people think he's often overrated as the best mic worker, or whatever. A video doesn't speak your opinion.

#11 ·
Well actually a video does kind of help what they are trying to say. Austin's promos are what put him on the map, his shoots on WCW back in his time at ECW was what got him his job at the WWF, his 3:16 promo was what created the Austin we know today. He consistently put on good promos every week no matter who he was working with and combined with Vince created the greatest feud of all time.

His stint as the sheriff of Raw was great as well. He's done it all in terms of promos and had some of the best in each category. It's easy to make the argument that he's the greatest mic worker of all time.

#17 ·
Well actually a video does kind of help what they are trying to say.
Austin's promos are what put him on the map, his shoots on WCW back in his time at ECW was what got him his job at the WWF, his 3:16 promo was what created the Austin we know today. He consistently put on good promos every week no matter who he was working with and combined with Vince created the greatest feud of all time.
His stint as the sheriff of Raw was great as well. He's done it all in terms of promos and had some of the best in each category. It's easy to make the argument that he's the greatest mic worker of all time.[/QUOTE]

Of course a video helps. It would help more if it was related to the WWE and wasn't scripted though.

I certainly don't doubt him as one of the best, I just don't understand how he's *the* best.

It's all about the delivery, son.

And as for your comment about it being "scripted" - how much of the current product do you think is actually improvised? Pretty much everything that is said is scripted to some degree.

Overrated is a word that gets thrown around a lot on this forum because people don't seem to understand the concept of personal opinions and individual thought. If you like somebody, who gives a shit if somebody else doesn't?
I'm sure SCSA said whatever the hell he wanted to say, as long as it was along the lines of what creative wanted.

It may get thrown around a lot, but that's why I'm asking. Is he or isn't he?

Like I said though, I'm not debating if he's one of the GOATs or not, just debating if, even the littlest tiny bit overrated on the mic, 'cause, apart from the fact he can clearly get a crowd booing or cheering easy peasy, it seems like the words he use are just the words people want to (or don't want to) hear.

#13 · (Edited)
Austin always had it established superstar before he came to WWE, Austin cut awesome promo in ECW and you can see abit of Stone Cold right there ...

WCW really drop the ball when comes to talent, Austinmania vs Hulkamnia could have work...

talk about scripted is not scripted by fucking writers...Austin grow up in 80's with the old school where you expected to come up with your own shit for promos. with bunch of talent like HHH-HBK-ROCK they had guys wrote for them not until WWF went different direction with attitude era starting to explode...in WWF around Stone Cold made debut pretty much only 2 wrestlers actually can work on mic is Foley and Austin...

#16 ·
I find that some people very slightly overrate SCSA on the mic, but let's be clear here: just because I think he's overrated may not mean that he is, it's just an opinion. More importantly, I still think SCSA is a GOAT and is one of my all-time favourite wrestlers. He was a pretty charismatic man and you always managed to believe in what he said, and what he said was often exciting and dramatic. Definitely one of the best mic workers ever, worthy of being on a list, IMO, just not convinced he's #1.

#20 ·
Hes one of the greats but his mic work became lazy and repetitive, especially after his face turn when the invasion angle ended. His mic work has been pretty blah since 2001. Hes had some funny moments but I cant say he cut a great promo in that time, at least on RAW. His work on Tough Enough showed what Austin can do when it coimes to talking.

#27 ·
If there is anyone that is completely overrated on the mic is The Rock. It still baffles me how someone in their right state of mind can say The Rock is the greatest on the mic.

#28 ·
Is it really that baffling though? If you look at the way Rock delivers his promos and his relationship with a live audience whether he's a heel or face it is clear why many people believe he cuts the most engaging and effective promos of all time. You might not like his style or content but I don't think you have to ponder too much why so many wrestling fans hold his work in such high regard.

#31 ·
When you can say one simple line and to make stadium explode in unison, that's all you need to know. Rock is the greatest mic worker in wrestling history by fans and wrestlers because of his wittiness, unbelievable crowd control, delivery, ability to sell a match in his words and facial expressions which is the most important thing and of course the most charismatic performer of all time, Rock is untouchable because he did it night after night, 5-10 minutes LIVE backstage with the crowd going crazy in the arena, that's power. Like a WWE writer said, all the crew and current roster were watching Rock cut his live promo in MSG and were standing there in AWE. Like they were watching a guy from another planet and really that's what he is, in a league of his own. Talking about Rock's many catchphrases? what they don't understand is that it's another example on why he's the undisputed greatest because every word he says is memorable on the spot and the crowd is chanting it on cue.

Instead of asking how and why, understand the power of this guy and you will get why he became the most successful star in the history of the industry and bigger than wrestling.

#32 ·
@ Rocky Mark

I actually said that it baffles me how someone in their right state of mind can say The Rock is THE greatest on the mic.

#33 ·
I know the subject is slowly steering away from Austin to the Rock, but Thee Brain you'll never, ever get a Rocky mark to admitt that the Rock is not the greatest mic worker of all time. He isn't. He is great and up there, one of the best of all times and I will give him that, he knew and knows how to wkr a crowd like not many can, however, he is like a one trick poney. He relies soley on catch phrases and childish remarks, while guys like Piper for example, in his prime could battle verbily with anyone and everyone, not relying on just a few corny lines.

#35 ·
No he doesn't. Not all the time.

You must have forgotten if you don't think Rock wasn't capable of cutting promos that didn't involve catchphrases or he had to rely on them. On the subject of Austin, he is great on the mic but just like Rock, Steve Austin is exactly the same with the catchphrases. What?, Gimmie a Hell Yeah, Thats the bottom line cause stone cold said so and so on. Having catchphrases in promos do not make anyone any less of a good mic worker. This is an age old concept, as Rock is not the only guy to use and constantly use them. Thats what they are for.

They use those to make a connection with the audience, sell merch etc. People act like its a bad thing or someone isnt good because they use them. Give a give a bland guy a thousand catchphrases and see how over he gets? It will fail. You cant buy that charisma and delivery.

But yeah Rock has been diverse in the past and have completed promos where he didn't use catchphrases at all or kept them to a minimum. People just remember the jokes and catchphrases because he did them often, but its not a bad thing at all. The promo that Rock cut before his match at Wrestlemania XIX is an example of that.

No catchphrases to get his point across, serious, and to the point. Just like others who did promos without catchphrases and all that jive, so did Rock. I dont even think Rock needed to rely on them because he had other qualities on the mic to make up for them. I just feel that catchphrases is another element to a good mic worker. Because it highlights your delivery and ability to get things over with the audience. Which is important. Hence my bland guy example.

Are there other superstars that are better than Rock in that area? Sure. Rock is a guy who is known for the jokes and catchphrase but what people fail to realize is that he has done promos that were not in that style. People just remember his usual schtick. But to say Rock hasn't done promos like that and/or is not capable of doing so, or only does them is false. If you haven't seen them, you should look around more because its out there. He has quite a few promos in that area. Im not saying he is the best of all time or anything just wanted to show that he has infact done promos that were not backed and relied on by catchphrases.

#36 ·
Rocks whole Hollywood Rock run was without catchphrases and he was fucking amazing.

People use the catchphrases as a stick to beat Rock with, but as ^ he pointed out Austin used them and people say nothing.

Rock could cut promos without them, and people who say he couldn't, simply don't have a clue.

I could spend hours watching Rocky promos.

BTW, Steve Austin was amazing and is top 3 in mic department, imo.

#37 · (Edited)
Austin use catchphrase but he never use it every fucking promos...around 98-99 he fucking use it every promo as time went on till 01 became less. even Jericho said it also Rock had the most fucking catchphrases and he use it alot...Rock is greatest entertainer on mic but when comes to MIC work there's alot of guys above Rock.

With serious promo Austin own the rock especially Piper he could fucking school The Rock, Piper is one of guy goes out unscripted...Pipers Pit? there's some guy Rock can use typical insult like what he did to John Cena or in 90's he always said shoving things up their ass..ect but guys like Austin-Piper you can't do that, there's clips on youtube Austin cutting epic promo tell him to get serious...

Cm PUNK is another guy, if Rock came out telling jokes like CM PUNk tattoo then punk could came back made rock look stupid...

i'm tired of Rock Mark, Rock ooze with charisma that's why he able use millions of catchphrases and the crowd really into him... there's so many fucking legend on mic and few above Austin.

i said before and i said agian, please before comment go and watch Last 10mins also of Steve Austin Tough Enough...it will show why Austin greatest on mic. If you say it's scripted but beside the crew saying is unscripted but few of interview who know austin especially Foley confirm in their interview...

#49 ·
Yes Austin did. Once the phrases became red hot, they were normal for him. Austin always used them once they became apart of him. Just like Rock, Austin used catchphrases. Its not that big of a deal and I dont know why you always get butt hurt about it. Nor do I see why people get so tight if people use them. Its all apart of this industry. Get over it.

Rock was known for the phrases but he was good at cutting a serious promo as well. Just like Austin & Piper. And many others. Im not personally saying hes the best of all time, but Rock is in those guys leagues. He can hang with them because he has the skill to do so. Period.

Also, stop getting butt hurt over a few marks remarks. All marks hold their favorites to a high standard.

#38 ·
I personally feel that Flair cut better overall promos that really got fans hyped about upcoming matches.

I don't really think Austin is overrated or Rock, they stood out as far as mic skills go. I just think some people are over crediting their mic skills and placing them above people like Flair, Piper & HBK because of a few catch phrases. The latter 3 were actually cutting promos that drew massive heat in their time.

But none can match the heat that Shane Douglas and Dudley Boyz promos would get in ECW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.