Wrestling Forum banner

Do Wrestlers Draw, Or Does the WWE Brand Draw?

• Wrestlers Draw

Votes: 251 39.5%
  • WWE Brand draws

Votes: 384 60.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.

**The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

988K views 9K replies 852 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For a list of the weekly rating dating back to January, please click here:

http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/2012-tv-ratings/

RATINGS BREAKDOWN FOR THIS WEEKS RAW 4/9

Raw on 4/9 did a 3.10 rating and 4.29 million viewers. The show was third for the night on cable. The show did a 2.4 in Males 12-17, 2.7 in Males 18-49, 1.0 in Girls 12-17 and 1.1 in Women 18-49 with a 69.3% male skew. It was down 21% from the 5.46 million viewers of the week after Mania show last year, and last year there was no bombshell along the lines of the Brock Lesnar return on the night after Mania show.

In the segment-by-segment, Brodus Clay & Santino Marella vs. Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger lost 99,000 viewers.

Backstage with Laurinaitis with Miz an Cena, Marella looking for the Three Stooges and R-Truth vs. Cody Rhodes gained 255,000 viewers.

Lord Tensai vs. Yoshi Tatsu lost 415,000 viewers.

The mic work between C.M. Punk and Chris Jericho in the top of the hour segment gained 379,000 viewers to a 3.19.

Punk vs. Henry and the post-match with Jericho pouring beer all over Punk, as well as the quick Del Rio vs. Ryder match lost 169,000 viewers.

The Three Stooges in-ring segment lost 240,000 viewers and was the low point of the show at 2.90.

The Brock Lesnar interview gained 423,000 viewers.

And the Cena vs. Otunga match with Lesnar run-in gained 301,000 viewers, which is a very weak overrun number, finishing at 3.42.

#6,665 ·
Attitude era breakdowns would show an increase of viewership throughout the show with big gains in the 10pm/ovverrun. Rarely lost viewers in any segment, and if they did it was very little.

Focus was on the midcard and main event.

The current notion that the mainevent is all that matters is what is hurting them.
They buried everyone to benefit the main angle and people don't have a reason to sit through 3 hours of shit for 20 minutes worth watching.

#6,667 · (Edited)
^^^^ It was a combo of the spectacle, Metallica in the background lol, he knows HHH and Taker, the loudness of the fans on the surround sound and the awesomeness of the actual match itself. He was totally hooked. Same for Rock/Cena.

Attitude era breakdowns would show an increase of viewership throughout the show with big gains in the 10pm/ovverrun. Rarely lost viewers in any segment, and if they did it was very little.

Focus was on the midcard and main event.

The current notion that the mainevent is all that matters is what is hurting them.
They buried everyone to benefit the main angle and people don't have a reason to sit through 3 hours of shit for 20 minutes worth watching.
Exactly, which is why most of the burden is then placed on the main program to draw in the bulk of the viewers and prop up the rest of the show. That's why the opener, 9pm, 10pm and overrun are such important time slots, because they are the only real opportunities to maximize viewership which is why the main feud of the show usually gets put in these slots. When these segments are doing below average numbers then the rest of the show doesn't stand a chance. They need to invest in the whole show in order to get the fans to do the same.

#6,677 ·
Breakdown
Another 52,000 U.S. homes dropped cable and satellite over the last month. The total erosion is from 101 million to 98.7 million over the past couple of years. What was notable to me is when WWE announced its Hulu Plus deal, I heard from people who said that they were now going to start back watching it because they had given up when giving up cable.

Raw on 10/1 did a 2.54 rating and 3.50 million viewers as noted on page one. Even with the record-low numbers, it was the third highest rated show on cable that night, trailing only football and Major Crimes on TNT.

The show did a 2.0 in teenage boys (same as last week), 2.0 in Males 18-49 (down 25%), 0.6 in Girls 12-17 (same as the past two weeks) and 0.8 in Women 18-49 (same as last week). The show had 68.9% male viewers. Like with Impact, viewers per home were at all-time low levels.

In the segment-by-segment, the long interview segment with C.M. Punk, Paul Heyman, Vickie Guerrero, Dolph Ziggler, A.J. Lee, Kane and Daniel Bryan opened at a 2.74 and gained 4,000 viewers.

Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara vs. Primo & Epico and Brodus Clay vs. Antonio Cesaro lost 461,000 viewers.

The Miz vs. Zack Ryder lost 47,000 viewers and did a 2.37 quarter.

The Sheamus/Big Show debate which had the usual 9 p.m. growth gained 421,000 viewers.

Ryback vs. Tensai and Eve Torres vs. Beth Phoenix lost 350,000 viewers.

Santino Marella vs. Heath Slater gained 222,000 viewers. That one surprised me.

Sheamus vs. Damien Sandow in the long match lost 63,000 viewers and that was the 10 p.m. segment. I think we can declare the 10 p.m. segment traditional growth as being on life support.

The show was laid out for the 10 p.m. segment to be the Jim Ross Appreciation Night with Punk, Heyman and Ryback at the end. Instead, they didn’t really get going until the 10:15 p.m. death spot, but instead of a huge loss, it gained 461,000 viewers to a show-topping 2.89 quarter.

Alberto Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston lost 824,000 viewers and did a 2.29 quarter, the lowest quarter for a regular episode of Raw in 15 years. Basically, 21% of all the viewers who watched the Ross segment, tuned out, whether it was football or elsewhere, when that segment ended. 38% of teenage boys tuned out, 25% of Males 18-49, 28% of teenage girls and 20% of Women 18-49 tuned out at that point.

The Daniel Bryan & Kane vs. Dolph Ziggler & C.M. Punk main event gained 532,000 viewers to a 2.70 overrun.

#6,678 · (Edited)
So... where's that breakdown?

Edit: Lol, posted at the same time I posted this. :p

Well... if we can take anything from this breakdown, it's that at the very least, most who watched at the start came back at the end.

#6,680 ·
Starbuck hit the nail on the head.

Naturally the Punk defenders will defend their king but logically look at it like this. After having pretty much three months of being the main focus and having the most air time is it a good sign that the ending is down a lot on the other hours? Change Punks name to wrestler x and think about it that way. If you invested nearly a year with wrestler x being the champ and at your anniversary show which will be the most viewed in years have him the main ficus by beating up two icons. Would you expect the lowest rating in 15 years? What does it mean?

It means that the main story/angle sucks so bad that people no longer tune in to see it. It means 99% of the guys on the roster nobody gives a shit about. And as much as Punk lovers will try and ignore that includes Punk. The two shows where Cena has not been in this year and Punk was the main guy ratings were terrible.

The overall product stinks and people have had enough. It isn't about the internet or other bullshit like that. Other shows do a lot higher ratings, the internet has not hurt them.
WWE is showing us nothing. There is little in the way of entertainment and 3hrs just drags the shit out even more.
Go back and look at the attitude era. Something interesting would happen every night. Not just at the end but all the way through. Even the jobbers had fun angles going on. Remember Kai Entai doing the indeed thing. Tajiri with Regal. The characters were developed and you gave a shit about them. You had a good tag division with actual tag teams not just putting two random guys together. There were factions and they were unpredictable.

Wwe right now is the master of its own downfall. It decided to go against the audience that made it popular and appeal to kids. It took away the tag division and hardly ever had factions or stables. When they do make someone interesting they ruin it ie Barratt. They make the show about one guy and forget everyone else. The writing is so shit it just doesn't work.

They have to go back to the old formula or they are dead for sure. When even kids no longer find it interesting then you got huge problems.

#6,684 ·
I agree. You have been one of the few people divert from the "this is 100% Punk's fault" path to conclude that its everything overall that sucks. That's what I was saying a few pages ago. The whole product is trash, and I absolutely agree, part of it is Punk's fault. Nowhere did I say it wasn't. I'm rebutting this asinine argument that its ALL his fault, because its not.

#6,683 ·
:lmao at show topping 2.89 quarter. They just worded it funny lol. Nothing surprising here except Santino/Slater. DAT ONE MAN BAND. Show basically died after the whole Punk/JR/Ryback thing. ADR/Kofi probably didn't even have 3 million people watching it lol. That's insane. What's even more insane is that 1 half of this match contained a former Royal Rumble winner and 2 time WWE champ. Absolutely fucking ridiculous stat. Horrific overrun again. Just a horrible breakdown across the board.

#6,689 · (Edited)
No, :lmao. Once again Punk had the most gains. I told you people others can't draw. Only Punk and Show did in this show.

#6,688 ·
That breakdown is just damning for the show though. You only had a few jumps and only two that you can argue weren't because of the time period... one being baffling with Marella and Slater. But then, when the writing is so disconnected from the fundamental aspects of wrestling, this should come as no surprise.

What is really shocking though is that it's starting to get to the level where we can say TNA is competition... not because they are growing their audience in leaps and bounds, but because the WWE is hemmoraging its audience. It's quite possible that in 5 years the WWE could be on the verge of losing it's cable deal... what is sad though, I don't think any alarm bells are going off in the back that they are doing it wrong. Everything I read they are blaming something else other than horrendous booking for the dismal state of the product.

#6,693 ·
I could see it much lower if Cena gets the belt back and we have the superface twins leading with both titles. And if they don't start fixing the midcard and stop the stupid recaps and touting wasting so much time, that's only going to make it worse. At this point, the Rock coming back might spike the viewership just above 4 million instead of anything more.

Man has this company really shot itself in the foot. And it's so obvious while you watch the shows that you are watching a sinking ship......

#6,706 ·
Wow is not enough. :lmao

#6,718 ·
Its simple really. If people are not willing to tune in to see your champion, buy PPVs on his name then tell me why this guy needs to remain the WWE champion.

You can blame the midcard all you want but the low viewership two weeks in a row, clearly proves Punk as WWE champion is a failed project.
For 9 months Punk was treated as second best if even. Since Raw 1000 he's been the central point of the show. Now granted, he hasn't been doing any good but you can't treat any champion in that position like dirt for 9 months out of 10 and then suddenly expect masses of people to buy into him as a legit show carrying superstar because all the actual show carrying superstars left. Taking the title off Punk solves nothing. This weeks Raw we got some insight into what WWE looks like without any star power. Punk is the 'top star' right now on a roster where there are no stars. There is a lot of merit in what you're saying and I spent a few posts saying the same thing myself but it isn't as black and white as that either. Punk is essentially feuding with nobody right now. He's in limbo while WWE sit on their hands waiting to see if John Cena can compete at the PPV. They haven't treated him the way a champion of 300+ days should have been treated for the duration of his reign so is it any bit of wonder he's bombing in the ratings?

#6,715 ·
Holy shit at that breakdown. :lmao

Two surprises for me... 1) surprised Santino/Slater gained viewers to be honest. Wonder what led to that. 2) I know Del Rio isn't necessarily a ratings draw, but this guy is a former two time WWE Champion, MITB winner and the only 40 man Royal Rumble winner in history...and his match with Kofi Kingston loses nearly a million viewers. Absolutely terrible. fpalm

#6,719 ·
What I've learned from the last several pages of this thread is that Starbuck's dad sounds like a very cool guy.

#6,724 ·
Trying to look at WWE from a distanced view (casual), what reason do non-hardcore WWE fans have to tune in? They have two storylines going, Punk/Heyman and Team Hell No, everything else is so downplayed in importance by the booking, effort in writing or mic effort/time that it doesn't even matter to most regular viewers, let alone fans who barely watch. Why should the TV viewers care, if WWE themselves, and their commentators ironically make most feuds sound like filler material, talking about unrelated things during matches or half the roster getting jobber entrances nowadays.

If they wanted to gain more mainstream popularity, they will have to try to make every character and storyline as worthwhile as possible, watching three hours of stagnation minus the ME and one Tag Team isn't going to cut it. By worthwhile, I also mean presented as a big deal, rather than an unimportant feud.

As for individual draws, there's very few (if none at all) that unconditionally draw regardless of how much effort was put in the storyline, who they feud with and where that storyline is placed card wise apart from John Cena. But then you compare the way Cena has been booked for years with full-force (or any other wrestlers that ever became big draws) with the start-stop philosophy and the random burials after somebody gets over (Bryan at WM, Ryder and others) and you can see why nobody appearing like such a big deal anymore.

#6,731 · (Edited)
Trying to look at WWE from a distanced view (casual), what reason do non-hardcore WWE fans have to tune in? They have two storylines going, Punk/Heyman and Team Hell No, everything else is so downplayed in importance by the booking, effort in writing or mic effort/time that it doesn't even matter to most regular viewers, let alone fans who barely watch.
One thing Russo got right was: He said that every wrestler must have a story, or something going on. It wasn't just violence that made TAE good, it was the undercard having something on the burner, however stupid it was. For that reason I even enjoyed watching HEAT back in the day, it was like a mini-Raw. And at the time, J.R. would section his commentary. So if Al Snow was doing something stupid in the first quarter, J.R. would mostly stick to that angle and sell that wrestler. Now, its shit all over and Cole just plugs the 1-2 angles kept for later right from the start.

#6,725 ·
The fact that not one segment got over a 3.0 this week is very disturbing. Is there a big MNF game on next week too? I wonder if they can bounce back. I guess the only good news is that when you fall this far, the only place left to go is up....unless they keep going down lol.

#6,727 ·
http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe...Title_Debate_USA_Not_Happy_with_RAW_Punk.html

- We noted earlier this week that Vince McMahon was seen upset at Monday's RAW. By the time the night was over, it's said that he was in a much better mood for the Jim Ross Appreciation Night stuff that happened after RAW. One of the reasons Vince is in a bad mood these days is because USA Network officials aren't happy with the way things are going with three-hour RAW shows.

Partial source: PWInsider
yeah if this keeps up. I say going back to 2 hours will eventually happen

#6,728 ·
As seen on the Online slang list .:shocked:

Raw is Le Punk : a far more deadly phenomenon than Gustave ,Quicksand,Bermuda Triangle, that makes people mysteriously disappear .
:evil:

Reactions: Choke2Death
#6,733 ·
GillbergReturns made a great point. If Smackdown has a terrible rating with Sheamus or Orton as champion, people will quickly call them rating killers but if Punk as champion does terrible ratings, they will all go "BUT HIS SEGMENTS GAINED VIEWERS!!!". Double standards, they never cease to exist!

The champion always gains viewers... unless they are CM Punk. I hope you haven't forgotten that episode before Over the Limit when he wrestled Daniel Bryan and Tensai in a handicap match as the MAIN EVENT and it actually lost viewers! :lol

:lmao :lmao :lmao

"Must spread some reputation", by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.