Wrestling Forum banner

Do Wrestlers Draw, Or Does the WWE Brand Draw?

• Wrestlers Draw

Votes: 251 39.5%
  • WWE Brand draws

Votes: 384 60.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.

**The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

988K views 9K replies 852 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For a list of the weekly rating dating back to January, please click here:

http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/2012-tv-ratings/

RATINGS BREAKDOWN FOR THIS WEEKS RAW 4/9

Raw on 4/9 did a 3.10 rating and 4.29 million viewers. The show was third for the night on cable. The show did a 2.4 in Males 12-17, 2.7 in Males 18-49, 1.0 in Girls 12-17 and 1.1 in Women 18-49 with a 69.3% male skew. It was down 21% from the 5.46 million viewers of the week after Mania show last year, and last year there was no bombshell along the lines of the Brock Lesnar return on the night after Mania show.

In the segment-by-segment, Brodus Clay & Santino Marella vs. Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger lost 99,000 viewers.

Backstage with Laurinaitis with Miz an Cena, Marella looking for the Three Stooges and R-Truth vs. Cody Rhodes gained 255,000 viewers.

Lord Tensai vs. Yoshi Tatsu lost 415,000 viewers.

The mic work between C.M. Punk and Chris Jericho in the top of the hour segment gained 379,000 viewers to a 3.19.

Punk vs. Henry and the post-match with Jericho pouring beer all over Punk, as well as the quick Del Rio vs. Ryder match lost 169,000 viewers.

The Three Stooges in-ring segment lost 240,000 viewers and was the low point of the show at 2.90.

The Brock Lesnar interview gained 423,000 viewers.

And the Cena vs. Otunga match with Lesnar run-in gained 301,000 viewers, which is a very weak overrun number, finishing at 3.42.

#5,138 ·
On one hand, you could argue that the first two hours were fairly consistent as nothing drastic really happened. On the other hand, the fact that nothing drastic happened, even with segments that should have gotten monster gains, is an even worse sign. I don't know how to feel about this rating, but I can't find much that is good about it. Overall though, I did like this match-heavy show that also put focus on the midcard as well as the two main event feuds for Summerslam.

#5,139 · (Edited)
Horrible breakdown and not a good sign for Summerslam. Big Show/Orton and Lesnar/Heyman/HBK/HHH doing the biggest numbers as expected. Other than that, the main event shows that John Cena is not a miracle formula and needs the opponent. Bryan is not that type of guy which is why they drew so low even with the fresh match. On the other hand, you got Cena against Big Show, two proven draws and the two biggest in the company against each other for the 800 time in the last 8 years and it draws huge. For the record, I actually liked the Cena/Bryan TV match.

The number the HHH/Lesnar segment did this week is a perfect result of WWE's miserable promotion. Brock Lesnar, a mega star who is going to be on RAW only 3 more times this year is going to be there live and you're not even giving him ONE COMMERCIAL in 3 hours? HBK in his hometown is going to be on RAW for a rare appearance and again, nothing? Keep in mind that the shows did the same rating but Big Show/Cena attracted a much bigger share of the audience. The only thing I can say about it is maybe WWE are trying to sabotage this on purpose, unless, I underestimated their stupidity again, and after Cena vs Miz/Truth in November 2011 and Cena's protection in March 2012, I can't believe I'm even saying it.

On another note, Ryback is getting over big, not only live crowds, not only the chants, now the TV audience which is the most important factor. Maybe we're going to see a Goldberg/squash pattern(obviously not even close to Goldberg's level), it's 3 weeks in a row now IIRC.

#5,143 ·
Again, I don't understand why people think that talking about ratings means that you base your favorites on said ratings. Basic comprehension fail. Do you see anybody doing that outside the retarded mark wars? No. This is such a stupid misconception and I have no idea where it came from.

Shit breakdown that tells us nothing. If they had promoted HBK turning up for a one off appearance along with Lesnar and HHH appearing too then this would have done much better. It's common sense. You don't advertise things then people don't know about them therefore they don't watch and you don't get big numbers, simple as that. They could have had Rock come out here and it would have been the same because they barely advertised it at all. Just ridiculous. It was still the high point of the show but that isn't saying much. They had better plan to promote the shit out of Summerslam this coming Monday and inject a nice shot of adrenaline into this feud or things won't be looking good come the buyrate.

I'm surprised that Bryan/Cena didn't do so well. Thought it would have popped a nice number since it's a first time deal and all. I still think a proper program between them will draw nicely. Seems like they made small gains throughout the first 2 hours which is about the only positive from this breakdown I guess. The third hour killed them though. After DX/Lesnar 600,000 people tuned out and only half of them came back.

On Orton/Show and the 9PM spot, last week the gain was just over 500k, right? This week it's just under 500k. I'll go ahead and say that 500k is going to be the normal gain for that timeslot then based on the info we have as of now lol. We'll be able to have a fuller picture as the weeks roll on.

So yeah, pretty meh breakdown and it just amazes me how WWE can go from an absolute monster of a promotional campaign for Raw 1000 and then 2 weeks later they completely fail to promote the selling point of their next PPV. It really is just ridiculous. Speaking of which, while Lesnar/HHH has nowhere near the hype it should, take it off the card and Summerslam looks like a piece of shit tbh. Biggest party of the Summer my ass. Punk/Cena/Show is so pedestrian, ADR/Seamus is boretastic and it looks like they're going to leave Rey and Orton off which is madness. In the span of 2 weeks we've seen such a dramatic drop in momentum and basic fucking marketing and promotion that I just don't even know anymore.

#5,154 ·
I think we are starting to see how the 3-hour format is going to effect the breakdowns. 3 hours is just tom uch EVERY week and the last segments of the shows are going to keep getting these "weak" gains, which in a few months we will be discussing as the normal gains for those timeslots.

#5,157 ·
Reason number 1, and the only reason why Raw will stay permanently 3 hours:

USA Network - 20:00 to 21:00
- 09/07 - 2.926 million / 0.6 18-49 rating <-- NCIS
- 16/07 - 3.149 million / 0.6 18-49 rating <-- NCIS
- 23/07 - n/a (Raw 1000)
- 30/07 - 4.064 million / 1.4 18-49 rating <-- RAW
- 06/08 - 4.007 million / 1.4 18-49 rating <-- RAW

#5,160 ·
Brock Lesnar and Shawn Michaels appearing definitely should've been promoted more. They threw so many recaps on Raw 1001 that I don't even remember them mentioning Lesnar appearing on Raw in San Antonio, as well as Michaels.

I get the vibe looking at the numbers that more and more people DVR Raw and watch it afterwards or watch it on YouTube or something because 3 hours is too much. It's just the vibe I get. Very meh numbers, with no HUGE gain or HUGE loss like other breakdowns have.

#5,170 ·
Right. It's a pretty shitty excuse. Yes advertising it more would have helped a little bit, but not by much despite what people keep preaching. This is a shitty rating for these three. Then again Lesnar hasn't been a TV draw since coming back anyway so no real surprise. This angle, just like Rock/Cena, isn't doing much as far as ratings go. At least not as much as it should.

#5,169 ·
Are people really surprised by the numbers though? I mean, the WWE has proven it can't write a solid, long running story line so more and more fans are just tuning out? The only reason the 1000th episode did anything was for the nostalgia... we wanted to see some old faces and remember the days when the WWE didn't have an idiot in charge. Sad to think the supposed genius is the same damn idiot now... oi.

#5,174 ·
That's why I'm asking because it used to be Pat & Vince that did everything & if Pat isn't around anymore, that puts a lot more pressure & workload onto a Vince McMahon that isn't getting any younger. Thus, he might be tempted to push a lot of the shit he usually overseas, onto other people like Hayes or Stephanie.

I know Pat used to lay out all the Rumbles, but when he stopped you could noticeably see the difference in the matches. They made less sense.

#5,175 ·
Vince seems to have his hand in too many things. He can't be a creative genius if he only dedicates say 20% of his time to creative. That's what the creative team is there for, to work on creative for the 80% of the time when he's doing all the other things he has to do but what seems to happen is that Vince does his shit, gets everybody else to do their shit and then when it's presented to him, uses the little time he has dedicated to okaying things to completely change everything and the end result is actual shit for a product. So many former writers have said the exact same thing, former wrestlers, current wrestlers and even Stephanie and HHH have both said it too, that's he's basically spread too thin and that he makes ALL the decisions. Like I said before, until that changes, nothing changes.

#5,182 ·
Rock/Cena feud sucked and it was hard to watch cause they were doing this thing were Rock was an outsider Hollywood actor, (guy's an wrestling Icon, shouldn't of been trying to make him an outsider) while Cena was the great white knight, protecter of the WWE. As Starbuck says, it was more Dwayne/John, than Rock/Cena. People might be confused by that but there is a difference. :D But at the end of the day it has done 1,217,000 so far....highest grossing wrestling event in the history of the business. It was a massively successful, and that was what WWE wanted.

#5,184 · (Edited)
Rock/Cena was hard to watch because Cena's a fucking square. If Rocky wasn't the well-mannered genuinely nice guy he is he would have buried Cena after that baseless comment about lines on his wrist. Seriously, Vince really had no shame. He did anything and everything to try to make John boy look bigger than he really is.

As for Lesnar, he's a proven draw. They hardly advertised him last week, I thought there was gonna be a pre-tape tbh. I guarantee a lot of others thought the same. Summerslam's buyrate will definitely be up; Lesnar/Hunter/HBK are all huge draws and will probably save a shit PPV (well, if Punk loses than not much can save it from being shit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.