Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #1648 (permalink)
Hennessey
21-0

Hennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friendsHennessey needs to make some friends
Default Re: Official DVD/Match/Show Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLWrestlingGod View Post
WWE Championship: The Miz vs. John Cena - WrestleMania XXVII

What's sad about this match for me is that this happened right around the time I was convinced Cena could carry anyone to a good match. I had seen how terribly Wade Barrett had done in matches with Orton, but so well in matches against Cena, Cena had had quite a few good matches with Sheamus (including a house show match which reminded me of Cena/Orton at SS '07), and for the most part, I had really enjoyed the 2010 series with Batista. I was just starting to think he had the formula down for an entertaining match, kinda like Rocky, who always put on a show (even if it wasn't the best).

But I was wrong. This match is so bad. I don't know if Cena was sick, distracted by all the Cena hate, sandbagging Miz, or what, but this is easily the worst performance he's ever given. It almost comes off as intentionally bad. He just gets pummeled by Miz, barely sells it, doesn't look like he even knows what he's doing, it's unwatchable.

The match picks up a little bit towards the end, with some A-Ri interference and a ref bump, Miz hitting the scf and Cena hitting an aa, and then the match does the unthinkable: Miz falls out of the ring, Cena slams him through the barricade, and they both get counted out.

The main event of WrestleMania ends on a countout.

But oh wait, the part of the match everyone was waiting for and knew would happen...the only part of the match people wanted to see: Rock comes out, throws the RAW laptop down, restarts the match under nodq rules, Cena tries to hit another aa on Miz, and then gets rock-bottomed. Miz makes the pin. 1, 2, 3.

The first heel to retain in the main event of WrestleMania since 2000 once again gets his ass handed to him by The Rock. Problem is, this time, The Rock wasn't in the match. The Rock wasn't in ANY match. The main event, hell the entire show, of WrestleMania ends with a non-competitor standing tall, alone.

I'll never forgive WWE for using an entire WM to set up the next. The fact that Rocky came back in February '11, had a feud with Cena, got the best of Cena at WM, Survivor Series, and it all lead to that mediocre match is just infuriating. But the worst part is that this entire match was nothing more than setup for another match a year away.

So there you have it, a clumsy, awkward main event, with a couple of bright spots, that ends in a double co, an obvious finish, and a non-competitor the only man standing.

I never understand why anyone calls this the worst WM of all time, watching Edge/Del Rio, Mysterio/Rhodes, Orton/Punk, and UT/HHH...and then I get to this match, and I could really see why. While I don't agree completely about that, I will say this:

this IS the worst WM main event ever.

EVER.

Try to think of a worse one, and I'll show you why it's not. This match could have been 20 minutes of fun. It could have been the rematch they had on RAW a few weeks later.

And yes, I did compare. The ME of WM 1 gets a bye for it's history, 2 for being a classic Hogan monster match, 3 is the same, 8 is at least Hogan's last hurrah in the WM main event and the awesome return of the Warrior, 9 I personally like, 11 at least was unexpected, 13 ended with UT winning a WM main event, and comparing this to Triple H's less-than-stellar main events at 18, 21, 25 isn't even fair. I wanted to like this, I really did.

*1/2
I like your review, but the last part isnt fair to me. A lot of those matches were more shitty then Cena/Miz was, but you just chose something that makes them a bit unique. Well WM 27 main event ended with the Rock returning at Wrestlemania after 8 years. Thats what that match will be remembered for, and like you said, the match had a few bright spots in there that didnt make it too horrible.

Other then that, I agree with your review.