Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#8,963 ·
Elgin/Masada sounds good to me. It's sure to bring some attention and viewers to them.

Speaking of Masada, I watched him vs Spike from the 2CW Livin on the Edge show and gotta say I was slightly disappointed. Wanted to see Masada ragdoll him around a bit more than he did.

I like Fox, but he should sell more. The perfect example of his selling would be when Colon (not sure if it was him or Tommy End)sent him spine first onto the apron and then minute or so later he's back to normal. Kinda takes something away from the match.

Also by "Ric" you guys mean Ricochet, right?

#8,968 · (Edited)
Not completely on board with the Swann love, yet. I think it's mostly there, but his singles have an incredible tendency to drag and fall really flat in the latter portions.

EITA, Jigsaw, Cannon, to name a few. All enjoyable, mind you. The EITA match started off as a disaster, but pulled together nicely by the middle before falling into the upper categories. I thought his Roddy and Generico PWG singles were strong, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't expecting a bit more from them.

#8,969 ·
Swann is an incredibly entertaining guy. His ring work could use improving, but he definitely has charisma and adds to any team he's a part of.

Has anybody watched AAW Epic yet? Considering getting it, but I've never seen AAW before so I'm kinda cautious.

Watched AIW Hell On Earth 8 a couple of nights ago. Stopped after Nixon/Team AIW. Really intrigued by this Nixon angle. It's something that's been done to death, but Nixon is a group full of (in my opinion) extremely under-rated wrestlers. A little confused though. I thought Dickinson was part of the Nixon group, but he was on Team AIW?

#8,970 ·
Has anybody watched AAW Epic yet? Considering getting it, but I've never seen AAW before so I'm kinda cautious.
AAW's a good promotion, going to watch Epic tomorrow but generally they're solid all around shows with one or two great matches on there. But do stay away when guys like Sabu and Shane Douglas come in to stink up the joint.

Watched AIW Hell On Earth 8 a couple of nights ago. Stopped after Nixon/Team AIW. Really intrigued by this Nixon angle. It's something that's been done to death, but Nixon is a group full of (in my opinion) extremely under-rated wrestlers. A little confused though. I thought Dickinson was part of the Nixon group, but he was on Team AIW?
Just finished watching this. He did come in as part of NIXON but Team AIW chose him off the same List as NIXON uses (which is everyone banned/fired/not used again by AIW for one reason or another). Looks like he might be his own man instead of with NIXON after watching the last two shows of 2012.

AIW - Hell On Earth 8

Preshow Match
JAKA vs. Biff Busick - **1/2

The Submission Squad (Pierre Abernathy & Evan Gelestico) vs. Team Old School (Marion Fontaine & Jock Samson) - *

Josh Alexander vs. Davey Vega vs. Louis Lyndon - **3/4

Ethan Page vs. Colin Delaney - **3/4

AIW Tag Team Titles
The Batiri (Obaryion & Kodama) vs. Hope & Change (Veda Scott & Gregory Iron) - **

AIW Women’s Title
Allysin Kay vs. KC Warfield - *

Winner Gets AIW Tag Team Title Shot
Matt Cross & Josh Prohibition vs. Irish Airborne (Dave & Jake Crist) - ***

Michael Elgin vs. Johnny Gargano - **1/4

#NIXON (Eric Ryan, Bobby Beverly & Rickey Shane Page) & The Necro Butcher vs. Eddie Kingston, Tim Donst, BJ Whitmer & Chris Dickinson - ***

30 Minute Ironman Match II
AR Fox vs. ACH - ***

The #NIXON/AIW feud getting interesting and bloody (despite a crowd that was dead for the most part) and a decent sequel to Fox/ACH I are the highlights of the show. Gargano/Elgin was just off for me, SS/Old School is just boring and Veda Scott and Gregory Iron continue to bring out the worst in each other.

AIW - The End Of The World

Louis Lyndon vs. Josh Alexander - **1/2

Kobald vs. Allysin Kay - **1/2

Davey Vega vs. Chuck Taylor - **1/2

The Submission Squad (Pierre Abernathy, Gary Jay & Evan Gelestico) vs. Team Old School (Marion Fontaine & Jock Samson) & Colt Cabana - **

Jarek 1:20 vs. JAKA - *

Chris Dickinson vs. Colin Delaney - **3/4

The Batiri (Obaryion & Kodama) vs. Irish Airborne (Jake & Dave Crist) - ***1/4

#NIXON (Rickey Shane Page & Jimmy Jacobs) vs. Eddie Kingston & Johnny Gargano - ***1/4

AR Fox vs. Ethan Page - ***1/4

AIW Tag Team Titles
Hope & Change (Veda Scott & Gregory Iron) vs. Matt Cross & Josh Prohibition - **

AIW Absolute Title
Tim Donst vs. Eric Ryan - **

Pretty mediocre show to end the year with only the middle saving it from being a complete disaster. The crowd hates Hope & Change but it doesn’t help that that’s their only positive as a tag team when every other one is outworking them and the Absolute title match was honestly boring before the overbooking that ended the year with a thud. #NIXON tag match did make me want to see a singles Jacobs/Kingston match, Dickinson/Delaney was more of a slugfest then I though it would be and The Batiri/IA continue to put in good matches when not matched up with Hope & Change.

#8,975 ·
Dragon/Shima from Final Battle is an amazing match, the only thing that bugged was the rope break, which was stupid considering the FWH gimmick.

#8,986 ·
I'll be there and will probably post thoughts on those two matches, and let you know if anything else stands out. This show is taking place at a new venue, and a fat chunk of the talent is performing elsewhere this weekend, so let's see how this one goes.

Really digging the interest in AAW around here.

#8,981 ·
Chikara - The Watchmaker

1) Oliver Grimsly vs Eddie Graves ~ *

2) Ophidian & The Batiri (Obariyon, Kodama, & Kobald) vs Soldier Ant & Colony Xtreme Force (Arctic Rescue Ant, Missile Assault Ant, & Orbit Adventure Ant) ~ **

3) Hallowicked vs Jakob Hammermeier ~ **1/4

4) Mark Angelosetti vs AssailAnt ~ ***

5) Jigsaw & The Shard vs Mike Quackenbush & Fire Ant ~ ***1/2

6) Tim Donst vs Archibald Peck ~ ***

7) Green Ant, Dasher Hatfield, Gran Akuma & 3.0 (Shane Matthews & Scott Parker) vs FIST (Icarus, Johnny Gargano, & Sugar Dunkerton) & Devastation Corporation (Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive) ~ **1/2

Skippable show. Only matches worth the time were 4-6. JigShard vs Quack/Fire being an awesome bout. Touchdown does it again and ends up having AssailAnt have his EASY pick for best match he's ever worked. AssailAnt actually looked good in it. Hope that is a sign for things to come in the future. Jakob is holding his own nicely in serious matches too. While it was a short, nothing too noteworthy affair vs Hallowicked, it deserves a plug.

#8,984 ·
A link for the Steen/Morrison match please?

#8,988 ·
If you did not see 2CW's Living on the Edge VIII I recommend doing so. Maybe not the whole thing but certainly Hardy vs. Callihan and Morrison vs. Steen. Try out Dalton Castle vs. Colin Delaney as well.

2CW's upcoming show Best of What's Around has Steen and Funk face-to-face. The reasoning is the shittiest ever but I'll take the confrontation any day. They have also announced their second iPPV(may be a iFFV) will take place on October 26 in Binghamton,NY. It will more than likely be a true sellout which I don't think 2CW's ever done. Binghamton is known as the loudest of the 2CW markets. Plus its going to be literally down the road from me. Praise Moses!

#8,992 ·
Callihan vs Hardy :hb

I've had those days. Most of the time I pick up the case, look at it for a bit while thinking, then eventually put it down and debate what it is I want to watch. Like right now. Might just finish SHINE #8 atm. This show better pick up. First half was some of the worst crap I've seen this year. Mercedes Martinez vs Nikki Roxx should at least be pretty good. Fingers crossed these ladies can turn the show around.

#8,993 ·
In an ROH mood
Death Before Dishonor V Night 2
8:19 Mark Briscoe vs El Generico - ***
6:42 Deranged vs Jack Evans - *3/4
15:01 Jigsaw & Chris Hero vs Nigel McGuiness & Claudio Castagnolli - **1/2
12:38 Lacey vs Sara Del Rey - **
17:09 Mike Quackenbush vs Bryan Danielson - ***1/4
14:13 Jay Briscoe vs Kevin Steen - ***1/2
15:15 Brent Albright vs Takeshi Morishima - ***1/4
33:53 NRC & Matt Sydal vs The Resilliance & Delirious - ***1/2

#8,997 ·
It did drag when it was only Strong & Stevens. Although, that wasn't a mega negative. They were drained. Match was legit probably the most chaotic in ROH history. Which covers quite a bit of ground with their brawls.

Have a feeling you're not wise to why Morishima's championship matches were just about all amazing matches.

#9,000 ·
It showed how Albright is underrated, imo. Sort of like Pearce. He gets this "bland" moniker attached to him by some and I always thought that was never a fair claim.

-----------

Glory By Honor VI Night One

1) El Generico & Kevin Steen vs Hangmen3 (BJ Whitmer & Brent Albright) ~ **3/4

2) Claudio Castagnoli vs Hallowicked ~ *

3) Delirious vs Davey Richards ~ *1/2

4) ROH Tag Team Championship
Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe(c) vs No Remorse Corps (Roderick Strong & Rocky Romero) ~ **1/2

5) Scramble Match
Age of the Fall (Jimmy Jacobs, Tyler Black, & Necro Butcher) vs The Vulture Squad (Jack Evans, Jigsaw, & Ruckus) ~ ***

6) Top of the Class Trophy
Mitch Franklin(c) vs Ernie Osiris ~ DUD

7) Best of Three Series - Match Three
Bryan Danielson vs Austin Aries ~ ***1/2

8) ROH World Championship
Nigel McGuinness(c) vs Chris Hero ~ ***

9) Mitsuharu Misawa & KENTA vs Takeshi Morishima & Naomichi Marufuji ~ 3/4*

This show holds the biggest disappointment in Ring of Honor history aka the main event. Lol @ how pathetic it is. Only guy who showed any sign of effort during the whole thirty minutes was Morishima. Other three took a crap on all of it. Especially Misawa. Why did he even agree to do that weekend of shows? It was clear from his facial expressions & work that he DID NOT want to be in America to wrestle. Hate this match. Yes, hate. I've seen bad matches before that has earned displeasure, but a lazy match like this needs to fuck off. It's insulting when no effort is given and fans are supposed to accept mediocrity as an acceptable payoff for a "dream" match. Too bad the rest of the show wasn't too special to make up for it. Scramble match was a blast, World Championship told a fine story within a sub-ten minute span, & Danielson vs Aries was good, despite being more or less a highlighted version of their past matches. It's rather skippable, tbhayley. Second time around and this show's quality was weaker than on my first watch.

#9,001 ·
What are your thoughts on Albright vs Pearce from Death Before Dishonor VI?

Misawa worked those two ROH shows for a good pay day. From what I remembered, ticket prices for the shows with Misawa were higher than usual.

#9,002 ·
Of course they were. I would have paid to see Misawa live too. Shame he didn't put his heart into the matches. Well, at least the tag. Memory on the singles match vs KENTA is a bit fuzzy. I know it wasn't too special though.

Pearce vs Albright Death Before Dishnor VI? Damn near my favorite match of 2008. Legit. Only match I had that was on the same level for me was Jacobs/Black vs Danielson/Aries from Respect is Earned II & Misawa/Morishima 3/2.

#9,003 ·
Yeah that match sucked. Apparently Misawa was ill for that weekend. The other 3 didn't really bring much to the table either though. Misawa/KENTA the night after was better. In fairness Misawa wasn't all that good in high profile matches at that point in NOAH either. His best days were well behind him by then. Not like Kobashi in 2005 who was still one of the best in the world when he came over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.