Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - Lucha Libre Match/Show Discussion/Reviews

View Single Post

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #393 (permalink)
The Manowarrior
That's what you get when you let your heart win

The Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselvesThe Manowarrior is making a name for themselves
Default Re: Lucha Libre Match/Show Discussion/Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
El Hijo Del Santo vs Negro Casas
EMLL; 1997/09/09

My first taste of lucha and I enjoyed it for the most part. There are parts of lucha that I can't say I'm a fan of, such as the uncooperative matwork and execution of moves. It just made the beginning mat sequences quite dull and some of the moves looked sloppy. Guess I'm going to have to get use to that if I want to get into lucha.

The stiffness and intensity of the strikes from both men really made the match. Even before they lock-up for the first time, Negro kicks away at Santo's leg and he sells it like death (possibly even over-doing it but it made it clear that Santo has a major weakness, so I guess it's okay). Santo tries to keep Negro grounded but he's not having this and viciously goes for Santo's leg. Negro was great at this and got a lot of heat from the crowd for not only ruthlessly attacking the babyface hero, but also for his great facial expressions and how he carried himself in general. He looked like a real dickhead.

Santo eventually says 'fuck this' to his plan to keep his opponent grounded and unleashes stiff punches and kicks on Negro and things are now more even. The crowd goes nuts as this and proves Santo's comeback a success. A few of Santo's aerial attacks felt a tad unnecessary though.

I'm too high on the finish. Santo goes for a camel clutch but Negro struggles and Santo just switches to the armbar and gets the win. The struggle seemed quite pointless and add on top of that a lack of near-falls and I'd say the finish felt out of place.

A good introduction to lucha, overall.

Rating: ****
Link?
The Manowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote