Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#8,901 · (Edited)
ROH - Tag Wars 2008

Michael Elgin, Michael Nakazawa, & Danny Daniels vs. Pelle Primeau, Ernie Osiris, & Mitch Franklin - ** 3/4

Rhett Titus vs. Silas Young - **

Joey Matthews vs. Jigsaw - *** 1/4

Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Nigel McGuinness & Claudio Castagnoli - *** 1/2

Falls Count Anywhere
Delirious vs. Necro Butcher - ** 3/4

Chris Hero & Brent Albright vs. Jack Evans & Ruckus - ** 1/2

The Briscoes vs. Austin Aries & Kota Ibushi - **** 1/4

The Age of the Fall (Tyler Black & Jimmy Jacobs) vs. The Motor City Machine Guns - **** 1/2

Overall: 8.5/10

- So I'll be honest, I've never cared for ANYONE that's came out of the ROH Wrestling School (sorry Grizz) & I was pretty happy when they occasionally got murdered. This is Michael Elgin via 2008 & he's about 40-50 pounds fatter, yet it suits his style much more because he looked like a straight bruiser here. His extra weight made him seem taller, although that may be due to the height of his opponents. :p Either way, surprisingly fun opener that's hilarious seeing Pelle Primeau pin Michael Elgin. WOW

- Silas Young comes out to 'Don't Stop Believin' by Journey. EPIC. That'll win you over with the crowd. "Look at the size of these thighs!" Gotta love Rhettski the Jettski when he had personality. Fun little short match, nothin offensive. Silas wows the fans with his handstand springboard moonsault finisher.

- Joey Matthews is PISSED OFF. I'm not entirely sure why either, but he just decides to beat the living hell out of Jigsaw & it's awesome. Some really stiff strikes bust open Jig's nose & ear until he's finally able to muster up some offense & takes Joey outside to give him a taste of his own medicine. The out-of-nowhere finish is really great too, very well put together match imo. Jigsaw sold the punishment with ease.

- Hilarious in ring pre-match conversation between Steen & Nigel. "There's no Queen in Arkansas, ya moron!" :lol Lots of intertwining storylines in this, the biggest being the World Title feud between Nigel & Steen. Steen was screwed a couple weeks earlier & was granted an instant rematch, while at the same time Claudio had challenged Nigel for a shot at the strap as well, but the champ claimed he hadn't seen anything impressive from Claudio, so he gives him the opportunity to show him something by being his tag partner tonight. Super fun match highlighted by the always great interactions between Generico & Double C. Hilarious moment when Steen's in full control of Nigel, but Generico is dying to come in so Steen tags him & he runs in just to get laid out with a clothesline and Nigel makes the tag. I had to rewind and watch it again it was so damn funny. Awesome finishing sequence too. Everyone's gunnin for the World Champ.

- Delirious/Necro is a fun brawl w/ a brutal looking finish. Also HOLY SHIT at the ringside attendants getting laid out in the chaos, one guy gets his head destroyed with a chair shot and bleeds like a stuffed pig.

- Can't say I really had any expectations for the Sweet n Sour/Vulture Squad tag, so it exceeded them easily. Awesome spot where Evans goes for the handspring dive to the outside but Albright catches him and swings him head first into the guardrail, a la Samoa Joe/AJ Styles. Good FIP segment with Evans but the Vulture's offense looked so damn weak against these bigger guys.

- JESUS CHRIST, what an awesome tag match with Briscoes & ArieBushi. Briscoes kept knocking Aries off the apron time and time again when he wasn't getting involved at all and that legit pissed him off so when Ibushi makes the hot tag, shit starts getting unreal & Aries comes out like a house of fire. The crowd absolutely went nuts for anything Ibushi did, which is understandable considering the guy's amazing. So many great, out-of-nowhere spots in this including an awesome doomsday device where Mark has to literally jump over a standing Ibushi to get to Aries & I actually jumped out of my seat when Jay TOOK IBUSHI'S HEAD OFF with a huge clothesline. Wonderful tag match with a molten crowd.

- My goodness what a draining main event. The major backstory coming in is that 6 years ago in 2002, Jimmy Jacobs lost to a man named David Decker, who would eventually go on to be called Alex Shelley. Since that day Jacobs has been haunted by the loss to the youngster and has never been able to defeat him in ROH. Constantly he hears the voices telling him that Shelley is simply better than him and he even believes it himself. From bell to bell, the match was just pure entertainment, but let me warn you, this sucker goes past 32 minutes. What I really appreciated was the complete change of pace compared to the previous match. Instead of hitting us with big time spots & out-of-nowhere dives, they gave us breathtaking sequences of constant double teams where one move would always lead to another in an awesome chain of events. The Jacobs/Shelley story was always in the back of your mind and while there were plenty of standoffs and exchanges between the two, it all came full circle at the end with Jacobs finally getting his redemption, despite the crowd not being happy with it at all. I'll admit, some viewers might get turned off by the length and possible overkill down the stretch, but the sheer quality of the sequences they were putting together were enough to make the crowd chant "please don't stop!" An absolutely fantastic end to a very very good show.

#8,903 ·
You're making me think I should buy Tag Wars '08 right now, Corey. Hot damn does it look good. Always heard positive things about Matthews vs Jigsaw. Which I'll single as considering one of the lower card matches ends up being a favorite to some on a show where the main events more than delivered. Got to love a card where a match ends up being a total sleeper.

#8,908 ·
Well, you're right, to be frank. TNA's doing fine this year attendance wise. I don't even know why was that brought up. :kobe

#8,910 ·
For an indy guy, going to TNA seems like a death sentence if they ever have aspirations of going to WWE. They don't tend to pick up many people that go through TNA, especially with the lawsuit they had last year. If I was Ricochet I'd just keep doing what he's doing. If he's earning enough coin to get by and is enjoying himself, that's all that really matters. If he ever wanted to get picked up by WWE, he'd be best to steer clear of TNA.

#8,912 ·
enlightenedone9, what's the story with Steen dropping the belt last night? I'd hate to spoil anything but the iPPV tonight was advertised as having a title match between Steen and Morrison. Now, though, Steen is no longer champion and their advertisement isn't a true reflection.

#8,914 ·
Lane would be correct right now. The title match will now be the Stairway to Hell match with the local guys. The match is likely to be quite violent with lots of crazy bumps. Probably won't be for everyone. As far as Steen losing the title there isn't much of a political story other than he lost it. The contender has been having a storyline where he was earning his way to fighting Steen. With Steen losing the title it opens up the Main to having more of clean finish. And they have changed the Title Match indication to the Stairway to Hell match instead of Steen vs. Morrison.

#8,916 ·
Ive never seen the two guys that are going to be in the stairway to hell match but have heard nothing but good things about them. Im still waiting to get my dvds in. Highway to Hell from 2012 and the feb shows from this year.

#8,917 ·
They're not the greatest wrestlers in the world but the crowd is likely to go ape shit for them with them even going a step further than their bloody matches in 2012. I don't feel like I'm off in saying that the only crowd in America currently that may be better than 2CW's is PWG's. 2CW is going to have their largest attendance to date most likely with 1000+ so expect volume. There was curb stomp into thumb tacks and a fisherman buster through a ladder at last year's Living on the Edge so I'm interested to see what they bust out this year. Hope you guys can catch some of the show. Should be a good one.

I'd also like to mention that Morrison and Callihan absolutely killed it last night in what ended up being a No DQ match. Callihan went to the back and pulled out a hockey stick and was doing his best impression of a psycho axe murderer the way he was swinging it around and actually broke the head of it off a guardrail and then broke it in half off a corner post. This match was not at all a finisher festivas. I'm extremely interested to see how it comes off on DVD or online. Topped last year's encounter in my opinion.

#8,922 ·
They have a big summer event called Big Event haha. It takes place at a fair. I've never been but I'm probably going this year. Usually a pretty good line up. Last year's event had the first Steen vs. Callihan match on the East Coast as well as Rachel Summerlyn vs. Mickie James and Eddie Edwards vs. Chuck Taylor. I expect them to announce something for that event tonight. But with it being the iFFV I don't know.

#8,920 ·
There are two matches that will more than likely be not so hot so you should make sure to stick with it. Their is a handicap match involving a group with a horrible out of date gimmick.Then there is a tag team title "battle royal". It doesn't make a ton of sense if you've seen the rules. Everything else though you should watch.

#8,923 ·
Has anyone else seen Kayfabe Commentaries: Wrestling's Most Awesome Managers? I wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great like most of their "Wrestling's Most..." series. The list was okay. There was one guy who shouldn't even have been on the list, while some of the best managers were left out because the fans who voted must have only watched the past 20 years of wrestling.

#8,939 ·
It was one of the selling points for me, lolz.

I don't think I'll ever be able to watch KENTA/Strong. It brings back too many bad memories of the time I bought tickets to see ROH about 3 hours away from where I live in Edison NJ. I went because Strong/KENT II was the advertised main event. Than KENTA got hurt and Delirious took his spot. I still had the tickets and I ended up going to see the terrible ROH show that was Boiling Point. So seeing Strong/KENTA will make me realize the awesomeness that I missed and remind me of that night in Edison.
:lmao

At least I now know to hold off on that event any time I see it available.

#8,935 ·
I don't think I'll ever be able to watch KENTA/Strong. It brings back too many bad memories of the time I bought tickets to see ROH about 3 hours away from where I live in Edison NJ. I went because Strong/KENT II was the advertised main event. Than KENTA got hurt and Delirious took his spot. I still had the tickets and I ended up going to see the terrible ROH show that was Boiling Point. So seeing Strong/KENTA will make me realize the awesomeness that I missed and remind me of that night in Edison.

#8,938 ·
Hahaha. I would've been so pissed. I mean, that overall card doesn't look that bad, but if I was promised KENTA/Strong & I got Delirious as a replacement, I wouldn't be happy either. Even though Strong/Delirious had some real solid contests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.