Wrestling Forum banner

The 2012 MOTYC thread

340K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  Alan4L 
#1 ·
#776 ·
John Cena vs Brock Lesnar WWE Extreme Rules 2012

Whi ever said Cena is a bad worker and is poor at selling should watch this match. It's commonly agreed now that Cena is a great wrestler but I never enjoyed a match with him this much mainly because it wasn't his same formulatic WWE main event superman match with the five moves of doom and Cena got to play the underdog which he played to perfection.

Brock's performance was awesome too. Looked like such a badass killing Cena with his sick offence. His MMA gear and style are awesome too. Loved how he shrugged off the botch too like nothing happened. Cam't wait to see him wrestle again and I was never the biggest fan. He just brought that aura that many big matches are missing these days.

It was a perfect blend of a shoot style with a WWE style match where both wrestlers did perfect in their roles. I actually found my self cheering for Cena and was marking like a bitch when he hit Cena with the chain. Crowd was awesome too , the action was great and told an awesome story and this is this is probably one of my favourite WWE matches ever.

That being said in terms of entertainment value I find it hard not to give it five.

Still have to watch Bryan/Sheamus and Punk/Jericho.

#777 ·
I thought about the selling element in this match but it's hard not to sell when Brock is laying into him for real. Obviously Brock is holding something back but to think he's not hurting Cena is naive imo. I don't hate giving this 5 either (I'd give it way over 5 for entertainment value) but I'm not gonna bother rating it. It was just something else that has to be seen to be believed. I don't mind the finish or result to much either.

#781 ·
i just don't bother with stars anymore. i rarely watch wrestling anymore so i try to enjoy it more than critique it.

that match very much reminds me of this written by "ditch"

The 04/08/95 Kawada vs. Taue is the best singles match the two have ever had. People who are fans of Taue... this is the match for you. Basic premise:
*backstage before the show*
Baba: "Tosh... you're going to be putting over Akira tonight."
Kawada: *nod*
*backstage a little while later*
Taue: "Baba-san said I'm going over."
Taue: "So... you're going to kick my ass all over the ring."
Taue: "Alright... I'm ready for it. Don't hold anything back."
Kawada: *stares at him* "You sure?"
Taue: *nods*
i can just picture McMahon as Baba, Cena as Taue, and Kawada as Brock. The Kawada/Taue match was also very very good.

#782 ·
The 04/08/95 Kawada vs. Taue is the best singles match the two have ever had. People who are fans of Taue... this is the match for you. Basic premise:
*backstage before the show*
Baba: "Tosh... you're going to be putting over Akira tonight."
*backstage a little while later*
Taue: "Baba-san said I'm going over."
Taue: "So... you're going to kick my ass all over the ring."
Taue: "Alright... I'm ready for it. Don't hold anything back."
Kawada: *stares at him* "You sure?"
Taue: *nods*
:lmao thats awesome!

#792 · (Edited)
True, true.

Glad you appreciated it though, I've seen it get pissed on by other forums just for the ending alone. Reminds me of Taker/Bret from One Night Only. Great match! the ending-SPOILERS

*taker being trapped in the ropes.*

would probably be crucified if it happened today but the actual MATCH was one of Bret and Taker's best. Blargh I'm rambling. :topic:

#794 · (Edited)
People who hate the ending are just pissed because they 100% believed that Storm was winning and that he SHOULD have won.
Yeah I kinda did too man, my heart jumped a few times in that match because I thought storm had him especially after Storm hit that first super kick. I think some people actually bet on that match >_> At the end of the day I'm not mad because Roode is a great champion.

Fans now a days tend to try and book promotions more than actually sitting down and enjoying the product. You don't have to enjoy everything but you don't have to try and book everything to your liking either. Not everyone will like what you like. Blargh I'm rambling! :cuss: :snrub

#796 ·
Am I the only one who didn't like Cena/Lesnar? It seemed like I was watching a bad take on a UFC match, and the lack of anything that wasn't a punch or elbow bothered me. I really felt the the UFC Fighter Lesnar really took away from the match, and I don't see how anyone could give it the 5*. It just seemed really dull with such lack of excitement.

#808 · (Edited)
Aw man...in no real order:

-Okada/Naito-NJPW
-Tajiri/Finlay-SMASH
-Henry/Punk-Raw(1st and 3rd)
-Bryan/Punk-Raw(also the one on the live Smackdown)
-Aries/Shelly-Against All Odds
-Angle/Hardy-Lockdown
-Roode/Storm-Lockdown
-Shaemus/Daniel Bryan-Extreme Rules
-Jericho/Punk-Extreme Rules
-Brock/Cena-Extreme Rules

Runner Ups: Rock/Cena and HHH/Taker from Wrestlemania 28

Really hard to put these in order.

#812 ·
Watching this right now... The whole show is awesome and entertaining, actually. Damn, is Big Japan ubercool or what?!

#810 ·
Sheamus v Daniel Bryan - Extreme Rules
-- Fantastic match. The first two falls were absolutely superb. I'm not gonna say Sheamus got carried because his offense was on point, he pulled some cool stuff out of the bag (particularly that Texas Cloverleaf which looked great), and in general had excellent chemistry with Bryan, but let's be honest, this was the Daniel Bryan show. He bumped hard, his control segments were perfect, loved the psychology of sacrificing the first fall in order to fuck Sheamus' arm up, and he worked the crowd like a fucking boss during the downtime prior to the third fall. Everything was brilliant up until the final fall which to me was a bit of a let down. Finishing stretch felt rushed after they had put everything else together so well. Had some issues with Sheamus' selling too. It wasn't unforgivably bad but considering he just passed out due to the pain he was in to lose the second fall he shouldn't have been nailing axehandles and backbreakers. Overall though, still a top notch wrestling match. Definitely the best of both men's WWE careers. With a better third fall I might be calling it MOTY.

Brock Lesnar v John Cena - Extreme Rules
-- Unreal. Just unreal. There's never been a match in company history quite like this and I'll venture to say there never will be. Brock was a fucking monster and Cena was fantastic as well. The opening exchange literally couldn't have been any better. This just wouldn't have been the same (it wouldn't have been anywhere near as awesome tbh) without blood and oh man Lesnar busting Cena open with those elbows was ridiculously sick. Loved the style they worked. Loved the realness. Loved the BLOOD. Heard people bitching about the finish. I liked it. I can understand why people might say Cena shouldn't have won in terms of the overall booking direction of the characters involved but as the finish to a badass wrestling match it was fine. The one thing I didn't like was the second ref bump because Brock was clearly looking at the referee when he did it but that's a minor detail. Awesome.

****1/4

That leaves me with:

1. The Undertaker v Triple H - Wrestlemania XXVIII (****1/4)
2. Brock Lesnar v John Cena - Extreme Rules (****1/4)
3. Sheamus v Daniel Bryan - Extreme Rules (****)
4. CM Punk v Chris Jericho - Wrestlemania XXVIII (****)

#813 ·
My top 10 for the year seems a little different:

1. Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin - ROH Showdown in the Sun Night 2 - ****3/4

2. Triple H vs The Undertaker - WWE Wrestlemania XXVIII - ****1/2

3. Chuck Taylor & Johnny Gargano vs Ricochet & Masato Yoshino - DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2012 - ****1/4

4. CM Punk vs Chris Jericho [Chicago Street Fight] - WWE Extreme Rules - ****1/4

5. John Cena vs Brock Lesnar [Extreme Rules Match] - WWE Extreme Rules - ****1/4

6. CM Punk vs Chris Jericho - WWE Wrestlemania XXVIII - ****1/4

7. Kevin Steen vs El Generico [La Revancha] - ROH Showdown in the Sun Night 1 - ****1/4

8. Adam Cole & Eddie Edwards vs Kyle O'Reilly & Davey Richards - ROH 10th Anniversary - ****1/4

9. The Rock vs John Cena - WWE Wrestlemania XXVIII - ****

10. Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus - WWE Extreme Rules - ****

I definitely need to rewatch Bryan/Sheamus as i haven't gone as high as others at all even though I'm a massive D-Bryan fan so I may have been not fully into it when watching the first time. I also may rewatch the ROH 10th Anniversary match; no one else seems to be giving it the love I gave it, so maybe I was on something. From what I recall, it did a good job of elevating O' Reilly and Cole which I was very happy to see, but apart from that I can't quite remember why I originally rated it so highly!

#815 ·
I've missed a lot but this is what I got so far"

1.Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito (3/04/12)
2.Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Shingo Takagi (2/11/12)
3.Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Yoshihito Sasaki (3/26/12)
4.Daisuke Sekimoto vs. SUWAMA (1/02/12)
5.Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk (4/01/12)
6.El Generico/HARASHIMA vs. Kenny Omega/KUDO (2/19/12)
7.Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Yamato (1/03/12)
8.Yuji Nagata vs. Masayuki Kono (3/20/12)
9.Daisuke Sekimoto/Yuji Okabayashi vs Suwama/Takumi Soya (3/20/12)
10. Prince Devitt vs. Volador Jr. (3/30/12)

I really don't know why I felt the need to include the 12 every time.

#816 · (Edited)
Finally watched Punk/Jericho from Extreme Rules and I loved it. What I did see when I watched it live on tv (the middle stretch) I thought was a lot better this time around, probably because of actually seeing the start and end of the match lol. Great, great brawl of a match that was long but so easy to watch. Great spots including the elbow through the table, code breaker with the chair and all the weapon shots looked great too. I preffered it to their WM match by quite a bit actually. I loved everything in here including Punk almost losing his balance on the top rope before the elbow, it really sold the effects of the match. Awesome stuff. ****1/4

I also re-watched Bryan/Sheamus again and I liked that even more this time. Still have it rated at ****1/4, but now at the higher end of that rating. Bryan is the man.

Brock/Cena would probably be in the **** range if I were to rate it match wise, but as a sheer spectacle of a match, nothing comes close, no not even Taker/HHH. Incredible to watch. In the context of the match I still think the finish was fine and worked well too. Great PPV.

Oh and this would be my top 10 btw. Naito/Okada is pretty much a lock for number 1 at this point, but everything after in the ****1/4 range isn't really in a specific order...

Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito (NJPW 04/03) ****1/2
Daisuke Sekimoto vs Suwama (AJPW 02/01) ****1/4
Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus (WWE Extreme Rules) ****1/4
Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin (ROH SITS Night Two) ****1/4
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki (NJPW Wrestle Kingdom VI) ****1/4
Katsuhiko Nakajima vs SHINGO (D-Ring 11/02) ****1/4
Go Shiozaki vs Takeshi Morishima (NOAH 22/01) ****1/4
CM Punk vs Chris Jericho (WWE Extreme Rules) ****1/4
Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yoshihito Sasaki (BJW 26/3) ****1/4
Suwama vs Seiya Sanada 2/3 Falls (AJPW 04/03) ****1/4

#818 ·
Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Suwama & Takumi Soya - All Japan, 3/20

I've seen people on this board complain about Davey Richards following up a superplex with an ankle lock. I've seen people on this board complain about Tetsuya Naitō not following through on his early-match legwork (whatever that means). I've seen people on this board complain about Sami Callihan doing pretty much everything Sami Callihan does. And yet I have never seen anybody on this board complaining about the spot where Sekimoto German suplexes Okabayashi, who in turn German suplexes their opponent. Seriously, what the f##k? That spot is stupider than all of the aforementioned stuff combined. It was fun and kinda cool the first time I saw them do it, but it's not something you can believably work into your matches on a recurring basis. It makes the 2011 American Wolves trading stereo suplexes with their opponents look natural and logical.

With that said, this was a damn good match. It's unbelievable how good Soya is for his experience level; making him a player in the All Japan/Big Japan feud has done wonders to freshen up something that had become incredibly stale and repetitive by the fourth Sanada & (Manabu) Soya/Sekimoto & Okabayashi match. And of course, gotta give props to the ridiculously hot crowd, almost always the MVP of any Japanese interpromotional match. Considering how little of a crap I can bring myself to give about Big Japan, they continue even a year later to provide some of the best and hottest matches in All Japan, despite the continued presence of my least favorite spot in wrestling today. ***¾

#821 ·
Yoshihito Sasaki vs Daisuke Sekimoto - BJW 26.03.2012
Big match feel, hot crowd and an awesome Yoshihito Sasaki performance. Terrific match. Sasaki's performance in this is right up there with Sekimoto's against Suwama and Cena and Lesnar's at Extreme Rules. Looked terrific in peril, comeback rocked and his selling was sublime. Neck work was neat and formed a nice base for the match early on and then the progressive long term selling of a fucking battle from both men was something else. They execute the epic type match perfectly and have a great finishing stretch with great near falls but never even border on doing too much. I'm normally not crazy about sudden turnaround finishes but this was executed perfectly. Sasaki just swinging wildly at Sekimoto and going all in ruled and it was made even better by not just Sasaki's selling and his desperation faces but by Sekimoto's selling and his faces when he was getting slapped and his post match selling too.

****1/4

Wasn't crazy about the semis. Sekimoto/Bones was fun but middle portion was really dead. Didn't like Sasaki/Callihan. Too many meh chops and not enough hitting each other in the face. Callihan's face wash kicks were awful and that ring post spot was embarrassing. Adam Cole in the opener was amazing though.

#823 ·
I hated Sami/Sasaki. There was nothing about it I liked in the slightest.

Sekimoto's performance in that match is amazing though, and yeah Sasaki was great too. I did think that maybe he could have sold his neck more towards the finishing stretch but apart from that it was an amazing match.

#825 ·
The ringpost spot felt more to me like Callihan was supposed to hit Sasaki and Sasaki was the one to do the missed chop into the ring post spot (which he did after). Neither guy looked overly great from it though.

I didn't think it was that great of a "two dudes beating the shit out of each other" either. Too many meh chops and not enough being punched in the face. Sami's selling at the end pissed me off too with how he'd just leap back up and not sell anything. Sasaki did it in the final but actually sold the punishment prior to it whilst making his comeback.

#826 ·
Here's my top 10 so far. Some questionable inclusions on here, I know.

1. John Cena vs Brock Lesnar (WWE Extreme Rules; 2012/04/29)
2. Dave 'Fit' Finlay vs Sami Callihan (EVOLVE 11; 2012/04/13)
3. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Suwama (AJPW; 2012/01/02)
4. Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito (NJPW; 2012/03/04)
5. CM Punk vs Chris Jericho (WWE WrestleMania XXVIII; 2012/04/01)
6. Atsushi Aoki & Kotaro Suzuki vs Atsushi Kotoge & Daisuke Harada (NOAH; 2012/22/01)
7. Davey Richards vs Michael Elgin (ROH Showdown in the Sun Night 2; 2012/03/31)
8. CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan (WWE Raw; 2012/01/30)
9. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Kazuchika Okada (NJPW; 2012/02/12)
10. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yuji Okabayashi (BJW; 2012/02/26)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.