Wrestling Forum banner

The 2012 MOTYC thread

340K views 3K replies 192 participants last post by  Alan4L 
#1 ·
#576 ·
Nope, never claimed to have been either. I answered his last post via PM since I didn't see the point in further going off topic in this thread (yes I realise the irony in writing this reply).

I came across the blog before joining, found it helpful and figured it was a decent username when registering here.

Now let's get back to talking about potential MOTYCs, or Lawler/Kaufman. Whichever :side:

#578 ·
Random post: Based on what I've read on DVDVR and the people that post there, most of them are VERY similar in how they explain their opinions, how they post, and what they like. Hell, I remember doing an IP check on Segunda when he first showed up because I thought he was a re-joiner with the way he posted :lmao (obviously not on this forum as I wasn't a mod at them time).

#579 ·
I can see what Rizzo is saying, I mean I've never tried to pose as Phil Schneider or anything like that, but I can accept that I do share largely similar opinions to a fair few workers as he does, hell I can freely admit that quite a few guys on the blog as well as some people in the DVD thread (Cal, Andy3000, Yeah1993) etc are responsible for actually making me rewatch old matches after I took a break from wrestling because I saw guys like HBK and Angle etc being called out for having more flaws then I ever remembered them having (fuck Angle was a favourite of mine during 2004-2006) and actually being responsible for me slowly beginning to see their argument.

I definitely see where he's coming from though, I've seen a lot of matches talked about on DVDVR and occasionally WKO and when I've taken the time to watch most of those matches its very rare I've disagreed with the general consensus about whether the match was good/bad etc. I'd like to think I've offered my own opinion on enough matches to be recongised by some as not a clone of the DVDVR crew and someone who can think for themselves, though I can definitely understand where Rizzo is coming from in regard to similarities.

Also Cal I remember you asking me whether I was a re-joiner when I first began posting in the DVD thread :lmao.

#583 ·
I have nothing of any importance to add but "El Hijo del Phil Schneider" made me laugh my head off

The differnces b/w Segunda Caida (the one on here) and Schneider are ridiculously obvious, though. Honestly if I read a review of each guy back-to-back I'd have no clue how anyone could mix them up. SC's like twenty years younger, too (does that have anything to do with anything? Probably not, IDK).

I don't think there's anyone on this forum who really types too similarly at all to a Segunda Caida (the blog- GODDAMNIT STEFFAN) writer.

#587 ·
Akira Tozawa & BxB Hulk vs. The Jimmyz (Dragon Gate, Infinity 252)

HOLY BALLS! Why is no one talking about this super duper awesome match? This was balls-to-the-walls awesome. This was an epitome of the tornado/lucha tag style. I thoroughly enjoy any match where I get to see Hulk kick people and do Mouse, so this was no exception. His strikes are uber awesome, he can kick you from any position imaginable. And when you add the BITW candidate Tozawa, crazy Susumu and the underrated KAGEORA, with the tag titles on the line - you get nothing but the awesomeness. The storytelling is very simple here. You got the two evenly matched teams who hate each other and want to win the match at any cost. Which leads us to one helluva athletic rush hour with smashing, decapitating moves and with incredible nearfalls and great drama. My #2 for Puro so far, right behind Okada/Naito. Fucking incredible.
Rating: ****3/4

Reactions: Pickaldo
#591 ·
Yes! In fact, Infinity 252 is the best episode of regular tv I've seen from any promotion this year. It revolves around establishing all-new factions, so it's a great jump-on point for new or returning fans, and the matches are superb:

Doi vs. Ricochet ***1/2
Mochizuki, Fuji & Gamma vs Horiguchi, Saito & Kanda ****
Hulk & Tozawa vs The Jimmys ****1/2
Cima vs Pac ****

Awesome show.

#588 ·
Low-Ki vs El Generico
EVOLVE 11: Callihan vs Finlay; (2012/04/13)

This was bloody fantastic. Low Ki's strong style background visually intimidated Generico. He flinched after Low-Ki attempted a strike and when Generico tried to return the favor, Low-Ki just stared at him like a motherfucker who then proceeds to beat the living crap out of Generico. Generico needs to find something to combat Low Ki's offense and he eventually does with his speed. This told a great story and ended at the right time, something a lot of EVOLVE matches struggle to do.

Rating: ****

Dave 'Fit' Finlay vs Sami Callihan
EVOLVE 11: Callihan vs Finlay; (2012/04/13)

Limbwork, stiff strikes and MANLINESS~! Both men bleed the hardway by headbutting each other. In a similar vein to their last match at EVOLVE, Finlay dishes out most of the beating. At the time, the spot where both men knock each other down with dueling kicks not once, not twice, but THREE times did annoy me, but when I look back on it now on how it made the closing minutes even more epic. The final counter was also fucking epic, but I'm not going to spoil that for you. As of now, this is my MOTY.

Rating: ****½

#593 ·
Didn't think much to Finlay/Calihan tbh. First match was great, and a top 5 MOTY for me, and ****. This one had it moments, and I'd still give it around ***1/4, but thought it got a little dull in the middle. How is their match from... Germany (forgot the promotion lol)? Only asking because the commentators bring it up during this one lol.

#595 ·
Took Highspots awhile, but they finally have the April DVD Sampler.

Well worth the wait, as this looks like the best one they have had in months.

1. ECW FanCam (11-20-98)
2. PWS Freshman Phenom
3. Nick Dinsmore Shoot Interview
4. WSU - Push It To The Limit
5. PWG - DDT 2009
6. CZW - Best of the Best 2
7. DGUSA - Fearless 2011
8. DDP WrestleReunion Shoot
9. FIP Melbourne Meltdown (5-26-07)
10. TNA Final Resolution 2006

You can get more info (and even all the match listings) from this link.

Obvious gold like PWG DDT 2009 and DGUSA Fearless 2011, and potential gems like the ECW fancam show that has Jerry Lynn vs RVD, in the ninties they always delivered!

I'm glad they finally put a big CZW show on there. Even those who don't like CZW know that the yearly Best of the Best is really when CZW brings their "A" game. I haven't seen it, but on BotB 10 a commentator listed all the previous winners, so I have an idea, but not positive, which will add to the fun of watching the show.

The only dvd I already have is the TNA one. It's a good show though, Daniels vs Joe is as great as you would assume. It's also Sting's first match in TNA and the crowd reaction is amazing.

I'm hoping I can spare the money for it, it was either Nov or Dec that I really wanted to buy, but never made the effort to do it, and then each month afterward would have a few decent to good dvds, but then a ton of crap. This month is very well balanced.

#597 · (Edited)
Dave Finlay -vs- Sami Callihan (EVOLVE 11 in Canada; 2012-04-13)

This is easily the best indie match of the year so far. Two guys that are currently the best guys working the indies do all the things that make them better than all the other schmucks working the same scene. They didn't try to go a hundred miles an hour for the sake of having a "this is awesome" chant (even though they did get one, ugh, but at least it deserved it,) they didn't trade a bunch of finishers, and they sold everything like they should have. They worked very stiff. Finlay chunked Sami into the ropes on his slams, which make them look twice as nasty. He slammed Sami's leg into the ringpost the way that would hyperextend his leg. The hardway headbutt was vicious and delicious. All the unique things these guys do really set them apart, and it led to them having the best match not involving a guy named ***** Casas this year.

#606 ·
Watched Finlay vs. Sami and man this match was a let down. No drama, random stiffness, near falls that were quite anti-climatic, and the finish felt like things were going in the right direction but ended up actually being the finish. *** at best. Might be even lower considering how bored I was and how utterly fucking confusing the face in perils comebacks were as well as the on and off leg work. Oh and Sami's attempts at being deviant came across as forced. Even Lenny seemed bored.

I'll go into further detail later but the HIAC and Richards/Elgins I gave the border ratings(****3/4).

#607 ·
Really? How were the near-falls anti-climactic? How is stiffness random? Especially when the whole match was stiff? How is there no drama in a match where the resilient youngster that has no respect tries to take the torch by force from the grizzled veteran, but the veteran is too smart for him? I will take this "drama" over the Hell in a Cell B-Movie bad acting + dialogue "drama" any day of the week.

#621 ·
People who think Finlay is not good are what's wrong with today's fans. One of the most underrated in-ring generals and storytellers ever. Brock Lesnar is not "legit", Fit Finlay is. Oh, and I'm very surprised that people didn't recognize the storytelling in Finlay/Callihan III. Do you know anything about Sami's character in DGUSA/EVOLVE?

#623 ·
I'm a huge Finlay mark but that's coming off as extremely elitist. I would majorly facepalm if someone said that Davey Richards was better than Finlay but at the end of the day it's all subjective. I can totally see how people may find Finlay boring due to the spot-heavy nature of the indies today, but even if I don't agree with that statement, I don't think their opinion is wrong either.

This reminds of a YouTuber who said that Meltzer giving Richards/Elgin 5 stars would harm the future of wrestling. His theory would be that aspiring wrestlers would try to emulate that match. For every one person may of thought that match wasn't that great, there are 10 others that loved the match.

#622 ·
Just to clear things up, Finlay is good but I thought the match was incredibly meh.

#626 ·
Since when is **3/4 a MOTYC? Anyway , anyone have a download link for Finlay/Callihan? Hyped as hell to watch it/ I like Finlay a lot but I do think some people just like his matches and overrate them for the sake of it being Finlay. Him vs Steen at BOLA being the best example. The match was pretty poor for what it was and got rave reviews from some people. If anyone else other then Finlay had the exact same match with Steen , it probably would of been shit on for the most part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.