Wrestling Forum banner

Official Rugby League & Rugby Union Thread

33K views 770 replies 35 participants last post by  DA 
#1 ·
Well, I never saw an official thread started for Rugby. So I thought I'd start one. I'm not even sure if they are any fans of Rugby on the forum but if they are, here is a discussion thread for Rugby now 8*D.

- All Talk about Rugby League & Union goes in here.

#270 ·
Tigers are fucked. One out running, offering fuck all in attack and wondering why Brisbane are smashing them in defence. Then standing back watching Brisbane run and wondering why they're making 50m a set. Reed's second try, Moltzen & Ryan should be shot for that pitiful bullshit they mustered between them.

We get down 18-4 and suddenly start to play footy, attacking in defence, moving the ball laterally and with impact, and lose by 4, which is flattering us on the scoreboard because if Brisbane were any good they'd have put 60 on us. Losing Heighington now for at least a month will affect us even more in the middle, so it's about time that $550,000 piece of shit starts carrying his weight and becomes worth his cash.

Our equal worst start to a season ever, and the prospect of going to Penrith next week isn't going to make the task any easier. Surely they'll promote some young guns from the NSW Cup, namely Matt Hyland, to cover Heighington (the kid generates the same workload, albeit in lesser intensity games). If we don't win next week, to at least start building on some momentum, then we won't get within cooee of the top 8. Serves us right for letting pre-season favouritism go to our heads, as it always does when we are favoured (cue 2006).

---------------

Suck shit Dragons, you useless cunts. Glad to see them kept to 0, and good on the Sharks. However, 0/4 in tipping this week, so another shocker. Hopefully I can rescue myself to an even 4 by rounds end, but I don't trust the Warriors or Manly.

#272 ·
I don't and have never denied that their backs are far better attackers than ours. Likewise i never claimed that Watmough is a better defender. There is more to the game than defense you moron, anyone who would rather have Harrison in their side over Watmough either has a good backline or other forwards who can spark something. Watmough is a far better player, far better and harder working in attack and makes more metres, line breaks, hit ups, tries and tackle busts than Harrison.

#273 ·
We’ve had guys like Myles, Harrison and Johnson, hardly attack-oriented. But, here’s the thing, once again, you completely underrate these players. Believe it or not, Bellamy once stated that DJ was crucial to the Storm’s structure in attack. Harrison was a five-eighth with us, and has combined brilliantly with Inglis in Origin. And there’s nothing wrong with Myles as a two-way player. He lifts in Origin. BTW I don’t give a fuck if you have a spine of Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith, if the forwards aren’t aiming up, it’s over. This isn’t club footy. Weak players are exposed.

NSW continue to pick attacking forwards, completely ignoring the fact that these guys are defensive liabilities. If you have Gallen, a guy who can take it up twice every set of six, the smart thing would be to balance the pack out with two defensive back rowers. You don’t need every single back rower who’s ever attacked a line. This is NSW’s downfall.

#277 ·
We’ve had guys like Myles, Harrison and Johnson, hardly attack-oriented.
Which is counterbalanced by having such an epic backline + hooker. If NSW had the backline to compete then by all means load up our forwards with defenders. Fensom, Gallen, Hindmarsh as a backrow for example. However we don't have the halves to compete like that. Soward as a 5/8th is alright in club football but he is a creative dead zone. Couldn't create a thing.

But, here’s the thing, once again, you completely underrate these players. Believe it or not, Bellamy once stated that DJ was crucial to the Storm’s structure in attack. Harrison was a five-eighth with us, and has combined brilliantly with Inglis in Origin. And there’s nothing wrong with Myles as a two-way player. He lifts in Origin. BTW I don’t give a fuck if you have a spine of Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith, if the forwards aren’t aiming up, it’s over. This isn’t club footy. Weak players are exposed.
Thiaday and Petero make far more metres in Origin games than Myles and Harrison. They may be good defenders but they offer no threat with the ball in their hands. Johnson is a workhorse, no one is underrating him. Myles on the other hand is lazy. Lockyer, Slater, Thurston and Smith all will lift a side if the forwards aren't making metres. They will step in and guide the team out.

NSW continue to pick attacking forwards, completely ignoring the fact that these guys are defensive liabilities. If you have Gallen, a guy who can take it up twice every set of six, the smart thing would be to balance the pack out with two defensive back rowers. You don’t need every single back rower who’s ever attacked a line. This is NSW’s downfall.
Not saying we pick a good side, or a balanced side. I'm just saying i disagree with you panning every single player who's strength is their attack rather than their defense.

#279 ·
30-0, shutout on Penrith. Fucking get in lad. Brilliant performance by DCE, man of the match by a long long way. Really stepped it up without Stewart and Foran being there. Buhrer was amazing as well.

side note, Stewart was out partying at the shark bar saturday night yet gets ruled out with injury tonight. quality player but he's a fucking douchebag.

#280 ·
Probably pulled a groin muscle, if you know what I mean.

I'm hoping Penrith maintain that shit form for Sunday, and we might have a look in at beating them. Going to be a dreadful game though given how shit both teams are playing this season.

#287 ·
The guy made sixty-odd tackles in the first two rounds, playing through the middle. He didn’t even miss one. Can you even begin to comprehend that?

I had a good laugh today. Andrew Johns picked his Australian team and stated he’d push Watmough to defend at prop when his bench players are inserted. He should be a comedian.

He'd be an embarrassment to Group 6 footy, let alone first grade. Absolutely useless. Bennett must be getting something from him off the field because his footy form doesn't warrant a starting selection.
Bennett knows how to read a stat line.

#284 ·
He'd be an embarrassment to Group 6 footy, let alone first grade. Absolutely useless. Bennett must be getting something from him off the field because his footy form doesn't warrant a starting selection.

2/2 though so far, but it'll probably fuck up again into a meh score. Storm, Manly, Cowboys, Warriors, Parra & Wests for the other 6 games :eek:

#291 ·
You clearly aren’t reading my posts.

Worst buy of the season thus far? I missed the game today, so I can’t include his performance, but over the first 6 rounds it goes to Adam Blair. He hasn’t even had one 100m game (topped out at 84)! For purely an attacking player, that’s pathetic. Don’t even get me started on how woeful he is defensively.

#293 ·
My Origin side if i were a selector (say for arguments sake that everyone is fit in time)

Dugan
B. Morris
J. Morris
Lawrence
Uate
Maloney
Carney
Douglas
Hinchcliffe
Gallen
Fensom
Watmough
Lewis

Bench: Galloway, Williams, Bird, Gidley.

Houston close to making it, same as Tamou, Hoffman, Woods. I'll probably change my mind a bit but yeah 8*D

#294 ·
minichiello, b.morris, j.morris, lawrence, uate, carney, maloney, gallen (c), buderus, bailey, hindmarsh, watmough, bird, int: gidley, galloway, t.williams, lewis.

bolters could be tolman, hoffman & woods. if dugan is 100% then definitely put him as fullback.

As with Rus I'll probably change my mind after watching City/Country and the next few rounds.

#296 ·
Nope, it's delayed @ 7:30. They crap on about how they want more exposure given to the international game etc, yet they can't show it live because they must put the news and block on. Fuck I hate Channel 9.

I'll be looking for a stream myself, fuck waiting for those cunts to show a delayed, ad-riddled broadcast.

#298 ·
If this were union, at Eden Park, then sure. However, it's league, and it won't even be a contest. NZ will start tough, hit hard etc, and then fade off like they usually do. Our forward pack will eat it up, allowing JT and Cronk to run our amazing backline into plenty of gaps. Aussies by 20 and to make it look very comfortable in the process.

NZ's only chance is to keep up with us in the forwards and defend like crazy to shut down Slater, Inglis, Hodges, Uate & Boyd. Benji and Johnson in free space may cause our defence a headache or 5, but our defence should conquer them

#300 ·
Test match went exactly as I thought it would - NZ start with fire and passion, we slowly get on top and cruise to a comfortable win. The combo of JT & Cronk was good and has me again worried come Origin time. Gallen was a boss once more, and Smith was greatness.

On the Kiwi side, Benji was utterly useless. I can't remember him doing much at all to create anything attacking. Johnson played well for his debut and could have used a bit more guidance from Benji. I love test footy, but really, the mid-year test has become a joke. It needs to turn into a biannual best of 3 series held after the grand final (scrap the four nations waste of time). To fill the other years, we have the World Cup, and then we can reinstate the Kangaroos tour to fit in a schedule against the Poms.

----------------------------------

Under 20's origin was greatness. Good to see the NSW stars of the future showing that we can actually win something down here. That #10 from the Roosters was a beast, and I was really impressed with Seijka's (sp.) game. Queensland's centre combo were immensely good, and I'm surprised that Brian Smith hasn't called that Moga kid up to first grade yet - he's head and shoulders above Leulia.

----------------------------------

Crusaders were amazing against the Hurricanes. This Taylor kid that's now flyhalf is going great guns and is allowing Dan the Man ample time to refind his feet and establish match fitness as the road to the tests and finals begins. Tonight's performance was great to see and the pack will be strengthened whenever Sir Richie comes back from his injury.

#301 ·
I'm probably the only one, but I care more about City/Country than the test match nowadays. I just can't bring myself to care about Australia winning every single year, with a number of guys in the side who don't deserve a spot. If they get rid of City/Country I'll be pretty disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.