Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#7,730 ·
PWG Mystery Vortex​

Dojo Bros vs the Young Bucks - ****1/4
~ Wow, I am so on board the DojoBros bandwagon. They gel so well as a team! Strong still has the best hot tag in the business, he's so much better in a face tag team. Lots to love in this one; the rolling evades from the superkicks, Eddie's counter of Nick's springboard X-factor, the double-stomp facebuster finisher...yeah, this rocked.

Sami Callihan vs Drake Younger - *1/2
~ Posted this earlier, but I'll post it again: Seriously...fuck this shit. I don't even know where to start. I worked out exactly why I hate Sami; he uses the same mannerisms as EUGENE, which would be fine if he was supposed to look like a retard but we're supposed to take him seriously. Eugh. Selling was non-existant, they went to ridiculous levels (trading Vertebreakers and both kicking out of them?), not to mention Drake having a superman kick out at 1 for no real reason after enduring a TON of offense. Not a fan of unprotected headbutts either which they relied upon too heavily. The only reason this doesn't get a DUD rating is because they clearly went all out and didn't hold back, so I have to appreciate their efforts. But no, this was certainly not my cup of tea, the epitome of garbage wrestling IMO. Oh joy, I'll have to sit through the rematches as well.

Cole/Steen promo - glorious. Cole's expression after Steen laid down the Guerrila Warfare challenge was perfect, what a champ.

Super Smash Bros. vs RockNES Monsters - ***1/4
~ Don't think I've ever had cause to say this before in PWG, but there was a fantastic piece of camera work that captured Yuma's sunset flip powerbomb on Stupefied. Think the camera was placed on the mat so when Stupefied landed the view shook for a moment, and the angle that was shown made it look like a pretty bad landing for him. Sold what might have looked like an average spot from another view as something pretty darn good, leading to a great nearfall. Anyway, RockNES Monsters are still trying a little too hard to get over as heels and it's just not working. SSB were great as usual; loved the simultaneous cannonball/450 splash combo from both men. Wasn't crazy about Goodtime's 'beard trim' shenanigans but I suppose it goes with his kooky persona.

Scorpio Sky vs Joey Ryan - ***
~ That was a nasty Mustache Ride!

Nice final promo from Joey Ryan. Really touched by what Excalibur said actually. "You go to Orlando, take all their money, and you don't come back." That's awesome.

B-Boy vs TJP vs Brian Cage vs Willie Mack - ***1/2
~ This was a ton of fun, enjoyed the heck out of it. Constantly action-packed, they fitted a load into the time given.

El Generico vs Rich Swann - ***3/4
~ Swann is a perfect fit for PWG, he'll go far. Great finish to this hot contest, I love Generico being the slightly douchy veteran.

Super Smash Bros. vs Dojo Bros - ****
~ THAT sequence from Stupefied...wow! Loved seeing Eddie as more of a brawler too, like his scrappy little punches and slaps to a grounded Stupefied. They went all out for this and crammed loads into the 10ish minutes. Last few minutes especially were epic. Rematch please.

Kevin Steen vs Adam Cole [Guerrilla Warfare] - ****1/4
~ Opening minutes were great with Steen just absolutely destroying Cole on the outside. Then we got the PLUNDAH~! I don't usually like the long set up to stuff like the pyramid of chairs but it worked wonders here as they split it up; Steen set up his contraption, and it was Cole who later decided to add to it in order to inflict more punishment. The actual spot with the chairs was awesome too, that totally delivered. Really nice finish, they played the tease of the tacks well and we got the payoff at just the right moment.

Such a great show. I only got done watching DDT4 last week and declared that my PWG show of the year, but this eclipses it. What with this, DDT4, DTABM, and Threemendous III, 2012 was definitely a top notch year for PWG.

#7,735 ·
Watching PWG stuff from last year

Davey Richards vs. Michael Elgin BOLA Night 1 ****1/4

Easily can be compared to the Showdown In The Sun Night 2 match, despite that being a 5 star match.
And also better than their AAW match a few months ago.

Kevin Steen vs. Adam Cole Mystery Vortex ****1/2-****1/4

This was flatout INSANE. I went nuts for the chair tower spot and loved the final sequence. This is Adam Cole's best match this year behind the match with O'Reilly at BITW.

#7,736 ·
Why am I missing out in so much Generico epicness in DDT. :lmao

I think this is the match where the other wrestler makes Generico smoke a cigarette and he starts choking repeatedly.

Generico+DDT= Pure Gold. We need a Generico appreciation thread. :(

#7,737 · (Edited)
IWA-MS - Ted Petty Invitational 2007

Night 1

1. Eddie Kingston vs Human Tornado

2. Davey Richards vs BJ Whitmer
**1/2

3. Mike Quackenbush vs Billy Roc

4. Claudio Castagnoli vs Nigel McGuiness
***1/2

5. Chris Hero vs 2 Cold Scorpio
***3/4

6. Chuck Taylor vs Jimmy Jacobs
***1/2

Night 2

1. Joey Ryan vs Mike Quackenbush
**3/4

2. Claudio Castagnoli vs Davey Richards
**3/4

3. 2 Cold Scorpio vs Chuck Taylor
***1/4

4. Claudio Castagnoli vs Brent Albright
***1/2

5. Human Tornado vs Chuck Taylor
***1/4

6. Josh Abercrombie vs Mike Quackenbush
***1/4

7. Eddie Kingston vs Chris Hero
****1/4

8. Mike Quackenbush vs Claudio Castagnoli vs Chuck Taylor
****1/4

CZW - Night of Infamy 11

1. OI4K vs The Briscoe Brothers
***1/4

2. MASADA vs Davey Richards
***1/2

DGUSA - Fearless 2012

1. Johnny Gargano vs Eita

2. The Scene vs The D.U.F.
**1/4

3. Samuray Del Sol vs Sami Callihan
**3/4

4. The Gentlemen's Club vs CIMA, ACH & Rich Swann
***1/4

5. Jon Davis vs Akira Tozawa
***1/4

6. The Super Smash Brothers vs Genki Horiguchi & Ryo Saito
***1/2

7. Ricochet vs AR Fox
***1/4

Chikara - The Zodiac Crimes

1. The Throwbacks vs The Bravado Brothers

2. Gran Akuma vs Ophidian

3. Amber O'Neal vs Saturyne

4. The Mysterious and Handsome Stranger vs Walter Eaton

5. Donst & Hammermeier vs Soldier Ant & deviAnt
**1/2

6. Sugar Dunkerton vs assailAnt

7. F.I.S.T., The Batiri & The Shard vs The Spectral Envoy, The Colony & Mike Quackenbush
***1/2​

#7,739 ·
DG USA: Revolt!

DUF/Scene **
Davis/Callihan **1/2
Yoshino/Tozawa ***
Ronin/Blood Warriors ***1/4
Whitmer/Marseglia N/R
FRAY ***
YAMATO/BxB Hulk ***1/2

Very average show from DG USA. The crowd was horrible. They hurt a few matches, especially the main event. I hated the booking of FRAY. Not a fan of Sabu and having him in the final 2 really killed the match for me. And while this was far from the best YAMATO/Hulk match, it was still very good. I could watch these guys every day.

#7,740 ·
ROH - From Love To Hate: The Jimmy Jacobs Story

6/28/03
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Alex Shelley vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Tony Mamaluke - ***1/4

4/02/05 - ROH Tag Team Titles
Jimmy Jacobs & BJ Whitmer vs. Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal - ***

3/30/06
Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer - ***3/4

6/23/06 - ROH World Title
Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Bryan Danielson - ****

2/24/07 - Windy City Deathmatch
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Colt Cabana - ***1/2

3/31/07 - Steel Cage
Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer - ****1/2

12/01/07
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Bryan Danielson - ***3/4

12/30/07 - ROH World Tag Team Titles
The Age Of The Fall (Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black) vs. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) - ***1/4

4/18/08
The Age Of The Fall vs. The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) - ****1/2

11/22/08 - I Quit Match
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Austin Aries - ****1/4

6/26/09 - Steel Cage
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Tyler Black - ***1/2

Pretty good comp, a great interview/shoot about Jimmy's entire time in ROH and the extra videos with "The Ballad of Lacey" and AOTF promos make this an easy buy.

ROH - Survival Of The Fittest 2012

Survival of the Fittest 2012 Qualifier
Adam Cole vs. Tadarius Thomas - **1/2

Non-Tournament
Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team (Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas) vs. Rhett Titus & BJ Whitmer - *

Non-Tournament - ROH World Tag Team Titles
Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs vs. Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander - **1/4

Mike Bennett vs. Davey Richards - **1/4

Jay Lethal vs. QT Marshall - *1/2

Non-Tournament - ROH World Title
Kevin Steen vs. Rhett Titus - **

Homicide vs. Roderick Strong - **1/4

Kyle O'Reilly vs. Mike Mondo - **1/2

Michael Elgin vs. Rhino - **1/4

Non-Tournament
The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) vs. The Bravados (Harlem & Lancelot) - **

Survival of the Fittest Finals - Elimination Rules
Cole vs. Richards vs. Lethal vs. Strong vs. Mondo vs. Elgin - ***1/2

Even with it being sliced up for television episodes, the Survival of The Fittest Tournament lives up to the past couple of years of completely skipable matches until the final. Only difference is there’s no 6/8-man tag match to enjoy so the non-tournament matches are for the large part even worse then the tournament matches.

#7,741 · (Edited)
PWG Steen Wolf

Peter Avalon, Freddy Bravo, Ray Rosas vs. Famous B, Chris Kadillak, Candice LeRae ***1/2

TJ Perkins vs. Rocky Romero **1/2

Fightin' Taylor Boys vs. RockNES Monsters ****

Willie Mack vs. Davey Richards ****

The Dynasty vs. Los Luchas **1/2

Ricochet vs. Chuck Taylor ****

PWG Tag Title Match
Young Bucks vs. Future Shock ****1/2

PWG World Title Ladder Match
Kevin Steen vs. El Generico ****1/2 (MOTN)

Just my honest opinion on this show. I'm not sure what more you could want from a wrestling show. Also add the post main event with Super Dragon and Kevin Steen saying "But I'll say one thing... I knew we'd tear the roof off" or something like that... after Generico had literally tore it off! There's a lot of depth on this show. Comedy, mat wrestling, hardcore stuff, high-flying matches etc.

Honestly, 10/10 :yes

#7,742 ·
ACW - Guilty By Association 6

1. Children of Pain 2.0 vs Darin Childs, Gregory James, Khris Wolfe & Donny Davis III
**3/4

2. The Hired Guns vs Team SEX vs Sabrecat & Just Willie
**1/2

3. Jaykus Plisken vs JT LaMotta

4. Angel Blue vs Athena vs Lillie Mae

5. The Electric Company vs The Submission Squad
**1/2

6. Berry Breeze vs JC Bravo vs Chingo

7. Portia Perez vs Robert Evans
***3/4

8. Matthew Palmer vs MASADA
***1/2

9. Jerry Lynn vs Mat Fitchett vs Davey Vega vs Scot Summers
***1/2-***3/4

10. Jessica James vs Rachel Summerlyn
***1/4

11. Gary Jay vs ACH
***1/2​

#7,743 · (Edited)
Gonna start posting the reviews of PWG 2012 from the beginning.

PWG KurtRussellReunion III

Tag Team Match:
Fightin' Taylor Boys (Brian Cage-Taylor & Ryan Taylor) vs. Famous B & Chris Kadillak: ***

Singles Match:

BxB Hulk vs. Jimmy Susumu: **1/2

Tag Team Match:
The Young Bucks vs. Davey Richards & Harry Smith: ***1/2

Singles Match:
Willie Mack vs. Naruki Doi: ***

8 Person Tag Team Match:
Candice LeRae, B-Boy, Cedric Alexander & Mascarita Dorada vs. Joey Ryan, Ray Rosas, Demus 3:16 & Peter Avalon: ***1/2

Tag Team Match:
The RockNES Monsters vs. CIMA & Ricochet: ***1/2

Singles Match:
Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Roderick Strong: ***

6 Man Tag Team Main Event:
Kevin Steen, Super Dragon & Akira Tozawa vs. PAC, Masato Yoshino & El Generico: ***3/4

Very good show, no MOTYCs, but still good effort. DORADA :mark:

#7,744 ·
Shine 5

1. Sassy Stephie vs Heidi Lovelace
*1/2

2. Niya vs Marti Belle
**1/2

3. Su Yung vs Sojo Bolt

4. Santana vs Nikki St. John
*3/4

5. Made In Sin vs Kimberly & Leva Bates

6. Athena vs Ivelisse

7. Nikki Roxx vs Jessicka Havok

8. Mercedes Martinez & Rain vs Jazz & Amazing Kong
***1/4

Kimberly IMO should definitely be in Shimmer one of the better lesser known girls that works Shine.​

#7,745 ·
Won Secrets Of The Ring w/Raven Vol. 1-5, and Straight Shootin' w/ Terry Funk & Shane Douglas on eBay today. Definitely looking forward to watching the Raven shoots, and Terry Funk's odd pronunciation of the letter W.

I think I've asked this before, but has anyone ever ordered from crimsonmask.de? It's Thumbtack Jack's site. I ordered Crimson Mask & Cutting Deep in October and they still aren't here. I've emailed Ironbeard (the distributor) and was told he was checking on it. That was over a month ago.

#7,748 · (Edited)
PWG World's Finest

Singles Match:
Kevin Steen vs. Peter Avalon: *** (poor Peter :mark:)

Singles Match:
Brian Cage vs. Ray Rosas: ***

Intergender Match:
Joey Ryan vs. Candice LaRae: **

Singles Match:
Scorpio Sky vs. TJ Perkins: ***

3 Way Tag Team Match:
The Young Bucks vs. The RockNES Monsters vs. The Super Smash Bros: **1/2

Singles Match:
Alex Koslov vs. Kyle O'Reilly: **1/2

Singles Match:
Willie Mack vs. Roderick Strong: ***1/2

World Title Main Event:

El Generico© vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Kevin Steen: ***3/4

Good show, as per usual!

#7,750 ·
Rah your probably thinking of the Threemendous III match.

PWG Mystery Vortex

Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong vs The Young Bucks
This is how to open a show, and it's also how to do a non-stop action match without it being bad. This was great fun. Bucks are awesome heels as usual, and it makes it all the better when Strong and Eddie are just out there to hit people hard and hurt them. Great sequences, hot crowd, great commentary. Yeah, this was great.

Drake Younger vs Sami Callihan
Can't be bothered to moan about this match, because what would be the point? But yeah, I hated it. It was terrible. Almost made me turn the show off because it made me hate wrestling momentarily.

The Super Smash Brothers vs The RockNES Monsters
Good tag match. The Monsters are a decent team, but not great as heels. SSB are just great though and so much fun to watch so they made up for it. I really like Goodtime too, but Yuma is just there. I wanted to skip this after Sami/Younger but glad I didn't because I enjoyed it.
***1/4

Joey Ryan vs Scorpio Sky
Meh match, but worth it for the ridiculous Mustache Ride off the apron. Always thought Joey was nuts for doing that move.

B-Boy vs Brian Cage vs TJ Perkins vs Willie Mack
Like Knox said on commentary, I probably enjoyed this way too much. Heaps of fun. This is where Cage shines, he was so beastly in this. B-Boy served his purpose as did TJP, Mack was a bit sloppy here and there but made for some swell sequences. Crowd going nuts for the double suplex was awesome.
***1/2

El Generico vs Rich Swann
This was great. Generico playing the veteran was really good, and Swann makes for a great underdog and gets his spots in when it's necessary to make really good fiery comebacks. What you'd expect really which is obviously a good thing when it comes to these two. Loved Generico busting out that finish he hasn't used for ages. He's the man.
***3/4

Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong vs The Super Smash Brothers
Another really fun tag match, despite not being as well worked as the opener. Stupified's dive sequence was awesome. Nice workover on Uno and the finish was sick. Digging Strong and Edwards as a team so much more than Edwards and Davey. They just go out there to beat people up and it works. Neither of their matches went into overkill either which was nice.
***1/2

Kevin Steen vs Adam Cole
Great, brutal match. Steen went out there to kill Cole and they really did a good job of getting that across with the way he toyed with him. Cole was great at being beaten up and he sold everything really well. I loved when Cole eventually got some offense in and Steen was super quick to go for the cover once he had him down again instead of messing around like he was before. Thought it got a bit slow in places like Cole looking for the ladder and the set up for the chair stack spot. Some nice spots but only two big ones which was really nice to see. Chair stack was ridiculous as fuck, and the thumbtack stuff was great too. Didn't think it was a proper MOTYC contender like the ladder match, but I liked this a hell of a lot.

Great show overall.

#7,756 ·
I understand Callihan, but who in the hell overrates Younger? At best he's mediocre when he wants to be a pure wrestler but often he'll over-rely on blood and taking chair shots to try and make his matches remotely entertaining. Saw him in some minor indy bleeding in a match 2 min. in after taking an armdrag to the outside and clearly blading. Just ridiculous.

#7,755 ·
Just watch the first 2 matches of Mystery Vortex along with Joey Ryan's post-match promo.

Eddie Edwards & Roderick Strong vs The Young Bucks ****
Awesome opener to the show. Not much else to say about this match that hasn't already been said by other people.

Drake Younger vs Sami Callihan ***3/4
I thought this was a very enjoyable match. As I expected I was loving every bit of this match, okay not everything 1 thing bothered me and that was Youngers stupid dive/senton from the apron to the outside after Sami hit him.
I had no problem at all with the headbutts (they also didn't seem as hard as in the Younger/B-Boy match). Sick spots all over, awesome looking moves etc.. which ment I was getting entertained. I enjoyed watching the match and that's really all that matters to me.

#7,759 ·
*** for me, and I rewatched it. Can't see all the "hate" for the match tbf.

PWG DDT4 2012

1st Round

The RockNES Monsters vs. Fightin' Taylor Boys: ***1/2

The Dynasty vs. Future Shock: ***

Two Husky Black Guys vs. Roderick Strong & Sami Callihan: ***3/4

The Young Bucks vs. The Super Smash Bros: ****

Semi-Finals

The RockNES Monsters vs. Two Husky Black Guys: ***1/2

Future Shock vs. The Super Smash Bros: ****

PWG World Title:
Kevin Steen© vs. Sami Callihan: ***3/4

DDT4 Final:
Two Husky Black Guys vs. Super Smash Bros: ***3/4

Really great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.