Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#7,470 ·
I'm in the mood to watch one of my ROH shows. Someone pick a show for me to watch. I can't choose. Legit been 10 minutes trying to decide:

Manhattan Mayhem
Nowhere To Run
New Frontiers
Death Before Dishonor III
Escape From New York
Better Than Our Best
Weekend of Champions: Night Two
Chi-Town Struggle
Unifed
Glory By Honor V: Night Two
Fifth Year Festival: Dayton
Fifth Year Festival: Finale
Fighting Spirit
Domination
Race to the Top Tournament: Night One
Race to the Top Tournament: Night Two
Caged Rage
Breakout

I have all of those to watch to do a re-review on. Help. :eek:

#7,472 ·
I'd start with Manhattan Mayhem myself.

ROH - The Women Of Honor

4/26/03
Alexis Laree vs. Persephone - *3/4

6/28/03
Alexis Laree vs. Sumie Sakai - *1/2

11/28/03
Allison Danger vs. Sarah Stock - DUD

2/26/05
Lacey vs. Daizee Haze vs. Tracy Brooks vs. Allison Danger - *1/2

3/25/06
Allison Danger vs. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze vs. Mercedes Martinez - ***1/4

3/31/06
MsChif vs. Cheerleader Melissa vs. Allison Danger vs. Daizee Haze vs. Lacey vs. Rain - **3/4

4/1/06
Allison Danger, Daizee Haze & MsChif vs. Lacey, Rain & Cheerleader Melissa - **1/4

6/3/06
Sara Del Rey vs. Daizee Haze - *3/4

11/3/06
Mercedes Martinez vs. Daizee Haze - *

11/24/06
Lacey vs. Nikki Roxx vs. Allison Danger vs. Daizee Haze - *1/2

1/26/07 - No Disqualification
Jimmy Jacobs, Brent Albright & Lacey vs. Colt Cabana, BJ Whitmer & Daizee Haze - **3/4

2/16/07
Allison Danger & Sara Del Rey vs. Daizee Haze & Alexa Thatcher - *

2/17/07 - Philly Street Fight
Colt Cabana, BJ Whitmer, & Daizee Haze vs. Adam Pearce, Jimmy Jacobs, & Lacey - ***

2/23/07
Lacey vs. Daizee Haze - **

2/24/07
Sara Del Ray & Allison Danger vs. MsChif & Serena Deeb - **

3/4/07
Sara Del Ray & Allison Danger vs. Jetta & Eden Black - **

3/30/07 - Anything Goes
Jimmy Jacobs & Lacey vs. BJ Whitmer & Daizee Haze - **3/4

4/27/07

Lacey & Rain vs. Sara Del Rey & Allison Danger - **1/2

5/11/07
Daizee Haze vs. Nikki Roxx - *1/2

5/12/07
Sara Del Rey vs. Daizee Haze - **1/4

6/23/07
Lacey & Rain vs Daizee Haze & MsChif - **

8/10/07
Lacey vs. Daizee Haze - **1/4

8/11/07 - SHIMMER Title
Sara Del Rey vs. Lacey - ***

9/15/07
Amazing Kong & Daizee Haze vs. Lacey & Sara Del Rey - ***1/2

12/29/07
Lacey vs. Daizee Haze vs. Sara Del Rey - **

2/23/08 - SHIMMER Title
Sara Del Rey vs. Daizee Haze - **3/4

4/19/08
MsChif vs. Daizee Haze vs. Lacey vs. Ashley Lane - **

7/25/08
Sara Del Rey vs. Jennifer Blake - *

9/19/08
Daizee Haze vs. Madison Eagles - *

11/22/08 - SHIMMER Title
Sara Del Rey vs. MsChif - **1/2

5/8/10
Sara Del Rey vs. Amazing Kong - **3/4

12/18/10
Sara Del Rey & Serena Deeb vs. Amazing Kong & Daizee Haze - **3/4

4/2/11 - SHIMMER Tag Team Titles
Daizee Haze & Tomoka Nakagawa vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Ayumi Kurihara - **3/4

The weakest compilation ROH has put out not because of the talent (though how many times can you see Del Rey vs. Haze) but because many of the matches were designed more as time-killers, squashes or buffers more then trying to have actual matches.

#7,474 ·
Noted suggestions. Probably the best from each year, tbhayley.

Not surprised that the women's tag from Man Up was the best match on the set. I've often claimed that to be the best women's match in ROH history. It's too bad they never showcase women like how SHIMMER does. It's almost baffling that they didn't/don't.

#7,475 ·
Well they half-assed showcased them because some of those matched barely made 4 min. I think the Del Rey and Haze squashes from 08 maybe went 3 min. combined. Seems like all they did is get every women's match they've done, subtracted what's been on a comp before and boom - another dvd.

#7,477 ·
Did Christmas tonight. This was my haul

SMV Grab bags
NWA F1-Friday the 13th Part F1
C4-Stand Alone 2010
wXw-Broken Rulz VII
IWA Unlimited-Survival Mode
F1RST-The Warriors night 2
ICW-March 23, 2012 & 420 Classic

SMV
IWA East Coast-When 2 Worlds Collide
CHIKARA-Zelda The Great
wXw-Inside the Triangle
Brain Damage tribute show

Highspots
Jerry Lynn vs RVD six disc set
PWG-Failure to Communicate
PWX-What Doesnt Kill You Makes You Stronger 2
CZW-Night of Infamy 2012

ROH
Nigel vs Danielson comp
Glory by Honor XI

And Nigels doc

#7,480 ·
Sheeesh, I really liked the FtC 3-Way main event, it was a well done triangle match, short and sweet. I'm actually really glad they didn't try to create something "epic" there, because they had to go after that fantastic Omega tag.

Merry Christmas to all, btw. :)

#7,483 ·
PWG Seven 2010 Review:

Peter Avalon, Malachi Jackson, and Ryan Taylor vs. Brandon Gatson, Johnny Goodtime, and Candice LeRae: ***1/2

Brandon Bonham vs. Brian Cage: ***1/2

Chris Sabin vs. Akira Tozawa: ***

Scott Lost vs. Scorpio Sky: ****

Bryan Danielson vs. Roderick Strong: ***

PWG World Championship match:
Davey Richards(c) vs. Chris Hero: ***3/4 (lol I bet people went crazy at 2010 because of this match and called it MOTY and said Davey is with no dobut the BITW)

Three Way Guerilla Warfare match for the PWG World Tag Team Championship:
Peligro Abejas!(c) vs. The Young Bucks vs. The Cutler Brothers: ****1/2+ (fuck this match was amazing and the crowd may be the hottest crowd I've seen in wrestling show)

#7,486 ·
Absolutely adore this show. Easily one of PWG's best ever. I oddly miss Brandon Bonham. Agreed about the Hero/Richards match. Was this the match people were rating as high as ****1/2-3/4? I remember liking it but it being nothing special. But the main event :mark: These are the kind of matches that made me fall in love with PWG. Bat shit crazy is an understatement. How I miss Peligro abejas , hybrid dolphins and just crazy Paul London in PWG. His promos were pure and utter gold. Young Bucks are kings of these kinda matches.

#7,485 ·
Dragon Gate USA: Enter The Dragon: First Anniversary Celebration

- Cima vs Johnny Gargano
- They start out with a talking spot, which leads to the match. Very good opener. Both are tremendous wrestlers, and they worked very well together.

- Adam Cole vs Arik Cannon vs Chuck Taylor vs Ricochet
- Good match. Not a fan of Cannon from what I've seen of him, but they all did well in this match. Seemed kind of like a 'Get Your Shit In' kind of match, but I like those types of matches.

- They show a Kamikaze promo, hyping a match vs the Chikara Sekigun, which I assume is later on this show (It's a bootleg, so I don't have a math listing), and Man, I miss Jon Moxley. I'm glad/proud to see him on WWETV, because I was a fan of his back when most wouldn't give him anything because he worked deathmatches. I just hope he can eventually do this style of character on TV after the whole Shield thing ends.

- Drake Younger vs Naruki Doi
- I had low expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. Drake held his own against Doi. Seemed Doi was as, if not more, over as Drake, which is weird considering how Philly fans are sometimes.

- Masaaki Mochizuki vs BxB Hulk
- Both of these guys are tremendous wrestlers. Mochizuki is a beast. This match was great. The only thing that hurt it for me was the somewhat inconsistent selling. Post match stuff with Kamikaze made me miss Jon Moxley on the indies even more.

- Scott Reed (w/ a rat who's introduced as 'Nicole') vs Rich Swann
- Wasn't anything. Seemed like a filler match. Brodie Lee came out, and destroyed everyone, including the referee (who resembled the guy who refereed in UWA Hardcore), and the rat.

- Kamikaze USA vs Chikara Sekigun
- I liked this, but I was getting tired at the time and my mind was on other things so I wonder if I could have enjoyed it more. No matter how many times I see Yoshino wrestle, I can never get used to his speed. It's unreal.

- Shingo vs Bryan Danielson
- I've never been huge on Danielson or Shingo. I haven't seen a whole lot of them, but Danielson always seemed boring to me, but this match. Holy shit. It was amazing. After the match, Danielson joined World-1. Which would have been cool, if he didn't go back to WWE a month later.

- They used a Madball song for the DVD menu. I like this.

- This is the third DGUSA show I've seen. I have about 12 more that I've yet to watch altogether. But from what I've seen, they're consistently good. Every match on this card was great, except Reed/Swann, which was really used to do something with the Brodie Lee storyline. This show is sold out just about everywhere, so your only way to see it would probably be a​
bootleg, or if they have it On Demand or something. But, it's totally worth seeing.

#7,487 ·
Chasing the Dragon 2011 - 9/9/11

The Scene vs. Remi Wilkins and Tripp Cassidy
Nothing offensively bad. Okay match. Really short.

Aaron Draven vs. Uhaa Nation
*1/2
In a single squash match, Uhaa managed to get everyone on their feet and behind him. Greatest debut ever. I'm amazed how over he was by the end of the bout.

Jon Davis vs. Arik Cannon
I usually hate Pinkie Sanchez, but I liked his involvement in the match. Cannon and Davis looked strong throughout the match, and this was a good back and forth battle.

6 Man Elimination
Brodie Lee vs. Mike Sydal vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Sugar Dunkerton vs. Billy Roc vs. Flip Kendrick
***1/4
I liked the pre match angle and it made the match matter. A little sloppy here and there, but it was overall good. Consistent action despite the winner never really being in question.

Naruki Doi vs. Sami Callihan
***3/4
Awesome match. Great counters and nearfalls down the stretch.

Pinkie Sanchez vs. Louis Lyndon
**1/4
Not a Pinkie fan. Don't dig him at all. Nasty finish to an otherwise okay match.

YAMATO and Masato Yoshino vs. Chuck Taylor and Johnny Gargano
***3/4
Despite the bizarre finish and possible legal man issue, really great match with some really exciting spots and nearfalls.

Captain's Fall Match

Ricochet, Akira Tozawa, and CIMA vs. PAC, Rich Swann, and AR Fox
****1/4
Awesome awesome DG 6 Man. Blood Warriors acted as a strong cohesive unit, but the faces worked together well also. Just a crazy match.​

#7,491 ·
Haha. Good to know. I may still get a bootleg copy for $3, or just download it if it ever shows up online. Really seems like IWA East Coast really went down the shitter. At one time, they were constantly putting on excellent, innovative shows (Especially Masters Of Pain), but it seems like they went to shit since they got kicked out of the SC Community Centre.

Speaking of shitty wrestling, I just bought
- XPW Baptized In Blood I & II
- Best Of Deathmatch Wrestling: American Ultraviolence
- Best Of Deathmatch Wrestling: Double Death
- Best Of Deathmatch Wrestling: West Coast Warfare

Wanted to see them for a long time. Total was just under $90, Including shipping, and the complete series of Married With Children (Feel free to laugh at me for spending close to $60 on the above mentioned DVDs). I've heard the Best Of DM's are decent, but the commentary is shit.

#7,497 ·
Thumbs up for more HDNet reviews. Vol. 3 is probably my favorite disc of the bunch & I actually love that Tyler/Nigel match, gave it *** 3/4. Slower paced but I'm a big fan. Aries/Strong, the 6 man, & Hero/KENTA are all **** in my books. Lookin forward to vol. 9 whenever I get to it...

#7,498 ·
I might try and snag another volume when they go on sale again. That Black/Nigel match wasn't doing it for me. I didn't mind the pacing and honestly if Black sold the arm better that would have helped the match tremendously for me personally. But I couldn't really get into because he didn't. When he should have been a one armed man he was just going about it like he was getting armdrags instead of his arm being ripped off as he gets slammed to the ground. Usually it doesn't irk me that much when someone doesn't sell well but when Nigel does such a great job of working the arm and for it to seem moot its hard for me to buy into an arm submission that I could totally buy if I had at all felt like those moves had done any damage. Aries/Strong, the 6-man, and KENTA/Hero were all really good. I didn't think the 6-man would be as good as I thought it ended up being. First time I had watched a match involving the American Wolves in awhile and I remembered why I enjoyed them so much when they were together as they hit the powerbomb-lungblower while one was in a triangle by Danielson.

#7,499 ·
#7,501 ·
I hated ROH on HDNet at first. Due to the always dead crowd. I now regret not watching when I should have. It still produced good matches weekly & the roster was deeper than it is today. Honestly, it's no different from today than it was then in regards to lame crowds. So what changed? idk.

Maybe I'll look up every El Generico & Tyler Black match for the fun of it.

#7,503 ·
^(Y)

Adam Cole SWAG. Lets hope you enjoy his match vs Sami too. :eek:

So, fun time city. On my pursuit to rewatch all of my ROH collection I managed to nab some more from my brother. Adding:

Stalemate
Survival of the Fittest 2005
JOE VS KOBASHI
Honor Reclaims Boston
Manhattan Mayhem II (one of the best shows ever, imo :mark:)

I'll probably watch in order. Never seen the first two yet. Dying to see Aries vs Gibson I. Knowing myself I'll probably leap on over and watch Joe vs Kobashi again b/c it's like the coolest fucking match ever. Fitting too with Kobashi entering retirement.

#7,504 · (Edited)
PWG Badass Mother 3000 Tournament, Night 1

BAM Tournament First Round Matches:

Super Dragon vs. Hook Bombery: ****

Colt Cabana vs. M-Dogg 20: ***

Joey Ryan vs. Scorpio Sky: ***

Adam Pearce vs. Disco Machine: **

Frankie Kazarian vs. Scott Lost: ***1/2

B-Boy vs. Tony Kozina: ***

NOSAWA vs. TARO: *

Christopher Daniels vs. Hardkore Kidd: ***1/2

PWG Badass Mother 3000 Tournament, Night 2

BAM Tournament Quarter Final Matches:

Frankie Kazarian vs. Lil' Cholo: **1/2

Christopher Daniels vs. NOSAWA: ***

Joey Ryan vs. Adam Pearce: ***1/2

Super Dragon vs. Colt Cabana: ***1/2

Tag Team Match:
Hardkore Inc vs. Hook Bombery & Apollo Khan: **

BAM Tournament Semi Final Matches:
Frankie Kazarian vs. Christopher Daniels: ***

Joey Ryan vs. Super Dragon: ***1/2

6 Man Tag Team Match
:
Disco Machine, M-Dogg 20 & Scorpio Sky vs. Tony Kozina, Scott Lost & TARO: *1/2

BAM Tournament Final to Crown The 1st Ever PWG World Champion:
Frankie Kazarian vs. Joey Ryan: ***1/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.