Wrestling Forum banner

Do Wrestlers Draw, Or Does the WWE Brand Draw?

• Wrestlers Draw

Votes: 251 39.5%
  • WWE Brand draws

Votes: 384 60.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.

**The Official Raw Ratings Thread** (Discuss Ratings In Here)

987K views 9K replies 852 participants last post by  Starbuck 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For a list of the weekly rating dating back to January, please click here:

http://www.gerweck.net/tv-ratings/2012-tv-ratings/

RATINGS BREAKDOWN FOR THIS WEEKS RAW 4/9

Raw on 4/9 did a 3.10 rating and 4.29 million viewers. The show was third for the night on cable. The show did a 2.4 in Males 12-17, 2.7 in Males 18-49, 1.0 in Girls 12-17 and 1.1 in Women 18-49 with a 69.3% male skew. It was down 21% from the 5.46 million viewers of the week after Mania show last year, and last year there was no bombshell along the lines of the Brock Lesnar return on the night after Mania show.

In the segment-by-segment, Brodus Clay & Santino Marella vs. Dolph Ziggler & Jack Swagger lost 99,000 viewers.

Backstage with Laurinaitis with Miz an Cena, Marella looking for the Three Stooges and R-Truth vs. Cody Rhodes gained 255,000 viewers.

Lord Tensai vs. Yoshi Tatsu lost 415,000 viewers.

The mic work between C.M. Punk and Chris Jericho in the top of the hour segment gained 379,000 viewers to a 3.19.

Punk vs. Henry and the post-match with Jericho pouring beer all over Punk, as well as the quick Del Rio vs. Ryder match lost 169,000 viewers.

The Three Stooges in-ring segment lost 240,000 viewers and was the low point of the show at 2.90.

The Brock Lesnar interview gained 423,000 viewers.

And the Cena vs. Otunga match with Lesnar run-in gained 301,000 viewers, which is a very weak overrun number, finishing at 3.42.

#5,100 ·
Sheamus buries D Bryan at WM - Bryan gets massively over.

The GOAT The Rock buries Bryan on the mic - D Bryan becomes a top RAW draw.

Conclusion: You can't bury a GOAT.

That said, Bryan deserves it, he has been entertaining all the time and I think him beeing involved in a segment with The Rock made the general public take more notice of him than before, especially since his storyline was featured heavily on the show, so he just took the ball, ran with it and landed a touchdown. Nice to see that even on RAW he's starting to become a legitimate star.

Reactions: JoseDRiveraTCR7
#5,109 ·
Inb4 Punk gets blamed for hour 1 doing only 4 million.

Reactions: NearFall
#5,115 ·
You fail on understanding ratings. You fail at realising the drop in the 3rd hour and you also failed on realising that John Cena was in the first segment.

#5,237 ·
I was going to come in this thread and say something like this, but never got around to it. If WWE thinks a 2.8 rating is bad now, wait until the fall. In addition, their first hour will be going head to head with MNF and other fall shows. And Lesnar, HHH, Michaels, Rock likely won't be around for at least two months as the next two ppvs are Night of Champions and Hell In A Cell, B-level ppvs none of them really need to be at. Things could be getting rough soon for Raw ratings.

#5,233 ·
hopefully this wakes them up, but probably not

-they just got a 2.8 rating going into there biggest ppv of the year not called wrestlemania
-they are still relying on non full time aging stars from past like rock/taker/hhh/hbk/lesnar
-cena owns everyone for 7 years, nobody has a chance to really shine besides him
-big slow is main eventing in 2012 nuff said
-monday night football is starting up VERY soon
-they just went 3 hours so to go back to 2 hours is not happening until early 2013 earliest
-a large part of the roster is pissed about pay, vince pokes fun at them last night
-linda just won some race today so thats not going away anytime soon

i just hope the ratings go low, real low, south of 2.5, then maybe that will be the wake up call vince needs, i think even vince won't take a 2.5 rating

#5,260 ·
Time to channel my inner Jericho.

I love the hypocrisy on this forum. Ratings are up? Oh it must have been Daniel Bryan or Mark Henry or whoever else is the flavor of the week. Ratings are down? Punk's fault. Without fail, a bad rating is dismissed as being the fault of Punk, my guess whether he's champ or not. Allow me to educate you.

-The WWE title has been so completely devalued that its not longer a main draw, taking a back seat to several superstars
-Punk himself has been devalued by constantly getting booked to be second and often third fiddle to whatever Cena and occasionally Hunter, Shawn or Taker happen to be doing
-The June 4th edition of Raw was John Cena's big return after being accosted by Big Show at OTL. The main event was John Cena vs Michael Cole (the infamous BBQ sauce segment). The show drew a 2.92. I guess by all of your logic Cena isn't a draw either.

I find it absolutely hilarious that people can convince themselves into hate. Just face facts and say you don't like Punk. Its your right to have an opinion. Whatever you hate, his look, his moves, it doesn't matter. But at least stop the blind hate and give a justifiable reason for your dislike. You come off as so much more credible when you do. If you choose to ignore certain evidence, that's your call. At least say "I guess the ratings drop isn't all Punk's fault, I still don't like him." You can't look at this bad rating and blame it solely on Punk, its not the least bit logical. Was he out there for all 180 minutes? Was he the main focus of the show? Were his actions what a major angle hinged on? No. So think realistically-how can a bad rating for all 180 minutes be blamed on one single guy who was out there for maybe 20? It can't be. And you're delusional if you think it can.

If you're desperate to blame someone for it, perhaps try Vince McMahon? You know, he's the one who runs all this stuff, supervises the shitty writing, supervises the atrocious booking, supervises the crappy commentary, pushes for the social media plugs, organizes the card so we have time for 100 commercial breaks, etc. My God, he was the one in Michael Cole's ear telling him to say how the Piper's Pit sucked. He's devaluing his OWN product.

Reactions: ChickMagnet12
#5,273 ·
However you wish to look at it no WWE champion should be getting the lowest viewing nunber if the year under a week before one of the main ppvs. People will come in and make excuses for Punk as always. The guy has been given one of the longest reigns ever...You cant blame the wwe for him not being able to draw.

#5,286 ·
Mega ouch at that opener. Wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't advertised although it has to be said that it wasn't advertised on TV but only online and over twitter etc, right? Even still, that's not good. The tag match later on in the evening which by all accounts, was a pretty fun match, didn't do too well either and didn't even get over a 3.0. The build for the title has been pedestrian at best so I'm not surprised, even with Cena in there. I think the highest rated segment during the build for this match was Cena/Show if I'm not mistaken. It seems like an anomaly when you look at it lol but whatever. My interest in the match couldn't be any lower than it is and it's no surprise to me that others feel the same.

I guess we can say that the average gain for 9PM is 500,000 based on the last few weeks. In that regard Piper's Pit was on the dot. Can't complain there given who was in the segment. The Divas drawing is a surprise but kudos to them I guess. Outside of that and the first hour, everything else lost viewers. Looking at DMN's breakdown they had 5 quarters under 4 million and that is the real thing to worry about, if anything, 3 of which involved the WWE title picture.

Combined, the Brock/HHH stuff gained over 1.2 million viewers and was the highest rated stuff on the show. The contract signing happened at a very unusual time slot but it still pulled in over 400k which is very good. The car accident bit lost viewers but iirc that quarter was full of commercials and in general, the placement of segments during the last half hour was all over the place. The end did a very nice number. Big gain of over 800k and right on the money at 5 million viewers. That's about the only positive thing to be taken from this breakdown lol. 5 million is the magic number and 5 million people watched the hard sell for Summerslam at the end so they can take solace in that I suppose.

#5,311 ·
As I've pointed out, I'm not a Punk mark. I'm just looking for logic in these arguments. To blame these crappy ratings all on Punk makes absolutely no sense. Is he partly to blame? Absolutely. Solely? No, and no one in their right mind can argue that. Cena, Hunter, Brock, Big Show, Bryan and company all bear part of this cross.

First of all, RAW on Memorial day always does low rating. I'll admit that i was wrong about 2.6 being the lowest quarter, even though its terribly low for WWE CHAMPION having a match and being RAW opener unlike Santino/ADR of the RAW breakdown you posted.
You seem to be ignorant of the fact that the WWE title has been devalued to much over the past 8 months. Its main evented ONE PPV, whereas every other PPV (bar the Rumble) has been headlined by Cena. Most of those matches didn't even deserve the main event slot-Cena vs Laurinaitis was really more important than Punk and Bryan? Let's also not forget the fact that AJ's involvement COMPLETELY overshadowed the title, to the point that the focus wasn't on the champion and challenger, it was on who AJ was going to side with and what whacko thing she'd do next.

My biggest problem with this whole Punk reign is that its like he's had roadblock after roadblock set up in front of him, like the Fed WANTS him to fail. Yes, he's had many atrocious segments like calling Ace a giant toolbox and whatnot. Not disputing that. You call him the worst drawing champion in a decade. I ask you, what other champion has had as many obstacles thrown in his path like Punk? Never main events PPVs, often his matches are placed in the middle of the card, a fucking diva is given 3 times the TV time he was getting, his feuds were set ups for Cena...he's the champion who isn't being treated as such. Cena and Hunter seem to be the only guys in the company who are having any focus put on them. Any Punk gets is pretty half assed. If the guy can't get a fair chance, how can he really succeed?

LOL look at it again, the WWE champion loses viewers in the 10 P.M quarter where viewers ALWAYS tune in. It wasnt even a low gain, he actually lost viewers which means people were almost sick of him that they decided to tune out on top of the hour.

There's also many times that punk vs Miz lost viewers consistently at 10pm and main event, he also lost viewers against Tensai in the Main Event.
Yeah and I don't dispute that Punk's segments haven't lost viewers. Never said they didn't. Do they always? No. Do Cena's segments always draw? No. Hence, Punk can't be the sole beneficiary of the blame for the crappy ratings.

What do I know? I know that the quarter was big because of the Divas match randomly gaining over 400K before the corny drunk segment by the wwe champion. Punk and Jericho gained only 200k which is actually weak for 10 pm, while divas gained 400k. That says it all.
What's your point? You say Punk can't draw and in this segment he drew viewers. Your argument is invalid.

Once again I have to point out, Punk has lost viewers many times in his shitty reign which cena never did when he was champion. Besides whats your point comparing these two anyway? Cena has been part of the main event drawing matches of last two manias, he has a proven record of drawing high ratings. Punk is no John cena. By comparing these two, you only make yourself look stupid.
So you're saying that Cena has NEVER had a bad segment when he's champion? That's not correct and you know it.

Please, continue trying to convince yourself that people bought Wrestlemania 27 to see Cena vs Miz. Its really quite amusing. They paid to see the Rock and you damn well know that. And don't even try saying that Cena was the driving force behind the buys of WM28. Rock's first singles match in 8 years and his main stream publicity are what MADE that WM.

But you bring up a good point-Punk isn't John Cena. John Cena does have a proven record of drawing power. Does Punk? How should we know, he's never been given a chance. He's always playing second or third string behind whatever Cena and Hunter happen to be doing. They've given him the title and yet don't treat him like a champion. What other WWE champion in history has main evented 1 PPV in an 8 month reign? None. He's being treated like a second rate champion. It'd be like Alexander Ovechkin being called a dud because he was only scoring 15 goals a season because he's stuck on the 4th line. Of course he's not living up to his potential, he hasn't been given a fair chance.

None of those superstars were longest reigning WWE champion in years. Face it, Punk is a over-pushed peice of shit, a failure. He does not deserve such a massive push. He is the WWE champion but struggles to draw which is the reason they took him off main events and turned him into a mid card champion. Like someone said he is the kevin nash of 1995.
fpalm

Just...I don't even know where to start.

How can this guy be over pushed? He hasn't main evented a PPV in over 8 months. You call THAT an over push? John Cena must be Jesus then.

He doesn't deserve a massive push? Has he failed in some phantom push I've never seen? You see, if they pushed him really strongly, like Kevin Nash in 1995, and he failed, sure. Except they haven't...they've given him a half assed push instead and now he's floundering. You'd expect different results? How about when Cena won the title in 2005 if they booked him like they're booking Punk now. You could get Trish Stratus to overshadow the title, have him feud with guys like Carlito or Rhyno. You think he'd be anywhere near the draw he is today? Of course not, they treated him like a serious champion. So in the end, they got serious results. Punk has been treated like a champion who isn't important. So guess what the audience thinks?

He struggles to draw and that's why they took him off main events? He main evented ONE PPV. How in the blue hell is that a reasonable way to look at a guy and judge his drawing power? "Hmm this PPV did 10,000 less buys than last year, this guy isn't a draw, back to the midcard." That makes absolutely zero sense. One PPV in the main event is not in any way, shape or form an accurate gauge of a person's drawing power. To say otherwise is ludicrous.

Like...you're completely ignorant about this stuff. If you call how CM Punk has been treated in his tenure as champion fair or that the WWE has really gotten behind him, I suggest you take up knitting. Wrestling clearly is not for you. I'd have an infinite amount more respect for what you're saying if you'd just be truthful. You don't like Punk and have convinced yourself of a bunch of misinformed facts based on incorrect and biased information. Just say it.

The RAW go home for summerslam 2011 did 3.01 rating not 3.31. The RAW before that week did 3.3 which means ratings were going down "and we were right in the middle of Summer of Punk" as you pointed out.
And yet Cena was also WWE champion at the time as well...where does his portion of the blame factor into your reasoning?

#5,317 ·
Let's also get one thing straight. The blame (lol) does not full solely on Punk for that opening number alone either, even if it is a little disturbing for the champ to garner such little buzz. As it is with the majority of segments every party out there contributes.

That number hangs over Big Show's head as well.

#5,327 ·
A "Ratings killer" is different from a superstar who is "not a draw". Guys like rey mysterio, bryan, jericho are not draws. They are not going to draw exceptional well put in main events like the big stars but they can be trusted enough to sustain viewership at normal levels.

But guys like CM Punk and John Morrison are flat out ratings killers. These guys drag the show down in viewership and most likely the reason show opens with low viewers. People tune in, see punk in a match or bitching on the mic they tune out and never come back. Hence Low ratings.

#5,368 · (Edited)
Punk has some serious Napoleon complex going on, he's trying it shout it out real loud that he's a relevant and drawing champion.

'Look at me! Look at me! I did a shoot (approved by boss) on live TV, midcard champ for 250 days!! Bask in my magnificence!'

Kinda wish he stops responding to tweets, guess that's just his nature.

Edit:
I don't retweet nice things about me because that seems so desperate. I retweet the haters because they pop me.They're here to entertain me!

#5,374 ·
^

Got some big hands though.

Reactions: NearFall
#5,420 ·
Damn, Paul E and his client, the new King of Kings, The Master of the BrockTagon, MEGASTAR - BRRROOOOOOOOOOCKK LLLLESSSSSSSNNAR. Bumping that first hour. That jump surprised even me because I thought that it's a viewers habit problem, more than the content, but I guess Brock and Heyman was big enough to get their attention and 9pm as expected doing the biggest from all the fans coming to see what happened in Brock/HHH at Summerslam. Orton vs Del Rio did the peak of the show, I'm 99% sure in that.

Overall, below average numbers, hopefully the rating is not above 3.1, next week it's going back to below 3.0 anyway.

#5,430 ·
If you put Hand Henry in RATINGZ corner, Wolfpack theme and Nash on commentary burying everything? 6.0+ peak.

And fucking :lmao at The Giant video, imagine if at that time they would have done a slogan for him: "A pink world, you can see only through red eyes", put that on a pink and black nWo shirt. Record money. When you think about it, although it's not PG, they can do it for Ryback with his gimmick colorful eyes.

#5,448 ·
What I've learned from 540+ pages of this thread:

-CM Punk is a draw.
-CM Punk is not a draw.
-Randy Orton is a draw.
-Randy Orton is not a draw.
-Ratings matter.
-Ratings don't matter.
-Merchandise sales matter.
-Merchandise sales don't matter.
-PPV buys are #1.
-PPV buys are not #1.
-John Cena is the only mega star.
-John Cena is not a maga star. It's only in comparison the rest of the roster.
-Mark Henry is good for ratings.
-Rock316AE has a very good memory.

Yeah, so there's your 540 pages. In one post. You're welcome.

Reactions: Green Light
#5,449 ·
Nah, you missed the parts about John Laurinaitis and The Big Show and AJ and Daniel Bryan, and how Laurinaitis was both responsible for drawing in viewers and for turning viewers off, Big Show being a ratings powerhouse but also underwhelming, AJ and Daniel Bryan being draws and yet not being draws, either, as well as Rock losing viewers, Rock being the biggest star of all time and Rock being the only reason WWE is still alive at this point. And Triple H and Undertaker and Shawn Michaels being mixed together = ratings juggernaut. Oh, and my point that Stephanie = ratings. There ya go.

Reactions: Punked Up
#5,473 ·
Punk gets lowest quarter of the night last week. People shit all over him.

Lesnar gets lowest quarter of the night this week. People don't talk about it.

Ahhh, the ass backward nature of the IWC.
Getting the highest rating for the first quarter since the 3 hour thing became permanent is not good enough?

-------------------------

Nice to see Orton doing his thing and keeping the ratings afloat when he's on at the 9PM spot. Too bad they had him tap out to Alboreto Dull Rio the next day. And Bork is doing what Bork does best and that's bring in viewers. Shawn losing viewers is not even surprising considering how watered down they've made him recently, serving as HHH's bitch who can't fight for himself despite being called Mr. Wrestlemania and the Showstopper. And rather disappointing ratings for the main event. While the two matches preceding it lost 400k viewers, that amount was brought back in the main event but only with 66k more. I guess since Cena was not expected to interrupt, it was disappointing as he usually gains almost 1 million whenever he turns up. Same routine with the anti-draws being their usual self and the proven draws keeping the ratings in the acceptable border.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.