Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#7,024 ·
That's probably part of it. I think it's simply another promotion to really embrace the all around FUN side of wrestling in general w/the Chikara roster. Where as some stuff in Chikara will be taken more seriously, WiF! seems to have that overall carefree enjoy yourself vibe.

Seems to allow wrestlers to work once in awhile too since STIGMA is actually a fixture on the roster. Same w/Jervis Cottonbelly. I hope Rorschach would make an appearance down the line.

Feels like a family friendly version of Interspecies Wrestling to me. Which on paper sounds like TOTAL opposites, but I think someone out there might understand that comparison.

#7,027 ·
I can get behind that.

With Chikara touring more and more around the country its a really good idea for there to be promotions like WiF and WiA in markets like Allentown and the New England area so those areas don't have to go without the Chikara style for too long. These areas have proved they love them some wrestling and they won't draw big crowds but there will be a decent turnout for these promotions. At least it looked like the WiF Free-per-view had a decent turn out. Kinda ticked though that both promotions run at like the farthest I really want to drive for a show haha. But WiA is suppose to run up near Albany where my brother goes to school so I might need to take a run up there during the spring if they run a show up there.

I'm interested if Wrestling is Respect will go the same way as it looks like WiF and WiA are going or if it will be more like Chikara and Ring of Honor had a baby with it having the looks of its mom(Chikara) but the personality of its dad(ROH).From its Facebook page it looks more like the latter.

#7,028 ·
Which is logical considering the relationship they've had all year. Forming a sister promotion for both companies is smart. Can add in some fresh match ups without having to keep the whole inter-promotional feud alive when it eventually dies down. Which I imagine would be at Cibernetico next weekend.

Now if only Chikara could make it's way out more to the west. That's my one request. I'll keep dreaming.

#7,029 ·
All you can do is hope on that one. They went to Alabama this year so I don't know if there is any place that they have completely off their list of possibilities.

Wrestling is Respect is suppose to be the direct successor of Pro Wrestling Respect I guess according to their website. Oddly enough WiF reminded me a lot of that idea with having the young guys wrestle there before they would move up. I expect more Chikara influence here though. Having the young guys from Chikara and the young guys from ROH mixed with some veterans could be really cool. Their goal is to distribute through SMV, also mentioned on their website. The website for Wrestling is Respect is formatted exactly like Wrestling is Awesome's website though with different color schemes and banner styles.

#7,030 ·
Fingers crossed. They're moving more and more. Maybe if they can hit up Arizona or Nevada I could travel to there. On my budget, any of the mid-west or east coast states is just too far.

I already like that. That's the best way to get the younger wrestlers a chance to get used to working shows. Almost like house shows in the WWE. Ok, not almost it is exactly like that. That's where I feel the sister promotion, or two, is good. Fully behind it this. Bonus that the shows are gonna be on SMV too. I was tempted to purchase the debut WiF! show due to card being a Chikara-lite show.

#7,033 ·
AIW - Absolution VII

No Rope Barbed Wire

John Thorne vs. Rickey Shane Page - **

Drake Younger vs. Ethan Page vs. Davey Vega vs. Arik Cannon vs. Facade vs. Eddie Kingston - ***1/4

Bare Knuckle Brawl - Special Guest Referee: Archibald Peck
Colin Delaney vs. Marion Fontaine - N/R

AIW Tag Team Titles
Matt Cross & Josh Prohibition vs. Aeroform (Flip Kendrick & Louis Lyndon) vs. The Batiri (Obariyon & Kodama) - ***1/4

Texas Bullrope Match
Jock Samson vs. The Duke - **

Adam Cole vs. ACH - ***1/4

Intense Division Title
Bobby Beverly vs. BJ Whitmer - **1/2

Irish Airborne (Jake & Dave Crist) vs. The Briscoes (Jay & Mark) - **1/4

Absolute Title - Elimination Rules
Eric Ryan vs. Tim Donst vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Zema Ion - ***1/2

For their biggest show of the year Absolution VII was a bit of a disappointment until the main event. Cole & ACH have a much better match in them, most of the other matches were just there at best besides the six-man & tag title match and IA/Briscoes called back to their earlier encounters and not in a good way. Main event delivered and at least for the end of this show the aftermatch big angle was interesting.

#7,050 ·
I was expecting a lot from this show. It is AIW's biggest show of the year. You are pretty spot on though I did like the Intense title match and Briscoes match a little more. I couldn't really say there was anything good about either hardcore match and I saw some reviews that praised them. I don't know what I was missing but Thorne sucked that barbed wire match out of any value it could of had. I thought Jock and Duke did a little better than them just cause they managed a cool spot but that's about it. And that main event and the subsequent angle were the only things that seemed to stand out here. And I usually like AIW shows.

#7,036 ·
PWG BOLA 2012 Night 1

Joey Ryan vs TJ Perkins - **3/4
~ What you'd expect, this was fine but nothing special

Drake Younger vs Roderick Strong - ***1/2
~ Got a bit spotty at times but it was a lot easier to stomach than Younger/B-Boy from Threemendous III. Didn't go into overkill too much.

Eddie Edwards vs Kyle O Reilly - ***3/4
~ They started off with a great bit of technical wrestling, lots of counters and chain wrestling, and then it broke down into some hard-hitting strikes. Hot finish too.

B-Boy vs Brian Cage - ***
~ Not as bad as I was expecting actually. B-Boy's never really gonna make me a fan of his, but he did fine here.

Ricochet vs Kevin Steen - ****
~ Well this was just great. Steen in PWG's kinda got that Claudio-vibe; pair him up with a small high-flyer he can just beat up and you've got gold.

Willie Mack vs Sami Calihan - ***1/2
~ I felt that Willie Mack's 'plateaued' recently and hasn't been overly impressive since his matches with Hero. But this was a good outing from him here, and while I'm no fan of Calihan, they had a very solid, exciting contest. Wish Mack had sold the leg work a bit more but that's probably being a bit too picky.

Adam Cole vs El Generico - ***1/4
~ Cole's heel shtick is one of the most enjoyable things in wrestling right now.

Michael Elgin vs Davey Richards - ****1/4
~ Their ROH encounter from Showdown in the Sun Night 2 is my current MOTY so I had high hopes for this one. While it doesn't quite compare to that particular contest, largely due to the pacing being a tad off in this one (they went all-out too early in my opinion which didn't help the sense of overkill at the end), this is still a great main event and another fantastic chapter in the Elgin/Richards saga.

A very watchable show that doesn't outstay its welcome at around the 2 hour 20min mark. Nothing outright bad, 2 exceptional matches and the rest is pretty good-great. Roll on Night 2!

#7,037 ·
DGUSA Fearless 2012 Review:

Johnny Gargano vs. EITA - ***1/4+

The Scene (Caleb Konley & Scott Reed) vs. Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez - Skipped.

Samuray Del Sol vs. Sami Callihan - ***1/2

The Gentleman’s Club (Chuck Taylor (c) & Orange Cassidy & Drew Gulak) vs. Rich Swann (c) & ACH & CIMA – Captain’s match - ***1/4

Jon Davis vs. Akira Tozawa - ***3/4

Open the United Gate #1 Contenders match
The Super Smash Bros (Player Uno & Player Dos) vs. Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi - ***1/2

Respect match
A.R. Fox vs. Ricochet - ***3/4

Here's my full review with spoilers:

Johnny Gargano vs. EITA - ***1/4+
The audio problem with songs not working during the show were awkward. The match was really good opener, it's really refrshing seeing the champ in openers and Gargaon is the pefrect man for this spot. It was the first time I've seen EITA in the ring and he looked pretty good, the Cop Killa was unnecessary but overall great way to open the show.

The Scene (Caleb Konley & Scott Reed) vs. Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez - Skipped.
I started watching this and then Pinkie Sacnez came out with ANGRY FACE~!. Jesus, this was too much for me, this guy is so awful in DGUSA. Really not a fan of Larry too TBH, he's pretty bad. Why the hell Gabe thought it was a good idea to put Pinkie and Scene in the match... (I have no problem with Cannon)

Samuray Del Sol vs. Sami Callihan - ***1/2
Great match and I loved the Brainbuster.

The Gentleman’s Club (Chuck Taylor (c) & Orange Cassidy & Drew Gulak) vs. Rich Swann (c) & ACH & CIMA – Captain’s match - ***1/4
Your typical The Gentleman's Club's trios match. Some comedy and then lots of moves towards the end, and it worked on me once again. Enjoyable match but I'm not agree with the result, it seems like Chucky-T is losing way too much.

Jon Davis vs. Akira Tozawa - ***3/4
Davis' entrance was fucking awesome. The match was just as good as Gargano/Davis, I wish the match was longer because this was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Davis' work lately, he's really underrated for some reason and nobody's talking about him. IMO he's one of the best in indies right now and I'll not be surprised if WWE will sign him sooner than later. Really hope he'll win the belt and have a reign that similar to Shima in ROH. Tozawa was awesome as always.

The Super Smash Bros (Player Uno & Player Dos) vs. Ryo Saito & Genki Horiguchi - ***1/2
Don't have too much to say about it, it was the first time I saw Saito and Horiguchi too and they looked great. The match was everything you'd exepct honestly and without the out-of-nowhere finish I'd give it higher rating.

A.R. Fox vs. Ricochet - ***3/4
Awesome match. Wasn't close to what I exepcted from these two. They actually told a great story with AR Fox injury. Ricochet played an AMAZING heel here, awesome job from him, I enjoyed his work on the knee too. AR Fox sold his knee greatly too but I didn't liked that all of offance risked his knee and even if he sold that really good right after he hit it it still was pointless. I wish the crowd was more into the match because this kinds of much really needs the crowd support and sadly they didn't get it. The finish here felt weird and out of nowhere too but overall really good match and I can def see people giving this match higher rating than I did. Loved the post-match and Richochet's great.

Soooooo.... another great show from DGUSA, why am I not surprsied?

#7,049 ·
Joe/Necro is amazing because it has all the insanity of a deathmatch and manages to be just as brutal without using any of the weapons bar chairs and a barricade, instead it's purely down to Joe being a badass motherfucker and Necro being a fucking maniac and bumping like a retard (in a good way).

#7,051 ·
CHIKARA The Zodiac Crimes Review:

The Throwbacks vs. The Bravado Bros - **3/4

Gran Akuma vs. Ophidian - *

Saturyne vs. Amber O’Neal - DUD

The Mysterious and Handsome Stranger vs. Walter Eaton - *

Soldier Ant & deviANT vs. Tim Donst & Jakob Hammermeier - **

Sugar Dunkerton vs. assailANT - *1/2

Mike Quackenbush, The Spectral Envoy & The Colony vs. The Shard, F.I.S.T. & The Batiri - ***1/2

So yeah... this show really sucked.

#7,052 ·
Two new DVD releases are updated:

http://www.rohwrestling.com/sites/default/files/jimmyjacobsdvdfinal.jpg

Jimmy Jacobs has been a fixture of Ring of Honor almost as long as there has been an ROH. From his debut in 2003 until this very day, the Michigan native has captured the attention of the ROH faithful through his battles with Alex Shelley, his partnership and subsequent violent rivalry with BJ Whitmer, and his very controversial leadership of The Age of The Fall.

One of the most unique men in wrestling today, Jacobs career has been one of constant reinvention. From the furry boots and HUSS chants to the spike wielding, bloodthirsty leader of AOTF, Jimmy Jacobs has become just as known for his character as for his in-ring ability and for creating some of the most memorable moments in ROH's history.

Now, for the very first time, Jimmy Jacobs sits down with ROH cameras to openly discuss everything from the beginnings of his wrestling career in the Mid-West to his introduction to Ring of Honor to his partnership with Tyler Black. Jacobs is brutally honest about how he nearly lost his job with ROH, how he saved himself with one music video, and how it all lead to that night at “Man Up” that no ROH fan will ever forget.

Jimmy opens up about how The Age of The Fall came together, about how the creative changes within ROH affected it, and how his time away from Ring of Honor ended up being much longer than expected. Jimmy is also very blunt about the problems that he experienced in his personal life during his sabbatical from Ring of Honor.

This is a one of a kind look at the life & career of one of the most intriguing individuals who has ever graced the ROH ring. From his story with Lacey to his own relationship with professional wrestling, this is a set we could only call From Love To Hate: The Jimmy Jacobs Story...

Disc 1
1. 75 minute Jimmy Jacobs Shoot Interview
2. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Alex Shelley vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Tony Mamaluke...Wrestlerave '03 6/28/03
3. Jimmy Jacobs & BJ Whitmer vs. Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal (ROH Tag Team Title Match)...Best of the American Super Juniors Tournament 4/2/05
4. Clip of Whitmer turn on Jacobs...Dissension 1/28/06
5. Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer...Dragon Gate Challenge 3/30/06

DVD Bonus:
- Ballad Of Lacey music video
- The Victory Of Love music video
- kiss2kill music video
- ' Love To Spare' date video
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' date video
-' Falun Apart' date video
-' Behind Closed Doors' date video
- AOTF viral video
- AOTF video about 'society'
- AOTF video about Founding Fathers/Philadelphia
- "You Need Us'
- 'Join us - you'll have fun'
- 'The ball's in your court'
- 'Disappointment'
- 'Change'
- 'Still the leader'
- 'The Learning Tree'
- 'The Most Important Week Ever'

Disc 2
6. Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Bryan Danielson (ROH World Title Match)...Throwdown 6/23/06
7. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Colt Cabana (Windy City Death Match)...Fifth Year Festival: Chicago 2/24/07
8. Jimmy Jacobs vs. BJ Whitmer (Steel Cage Match)...Supercard of Honor II 3/31/07
9. Clip of Age of the Fall attacking Jay & Mark Briscoe...Man Up 9/15/07
10. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Bryan Danielson..Unscripted III 12/1/07
11. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe...Final Battle 2007 12/30/07
12. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black vs. Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin...Tag Wars 2008 4/18/08
13. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Austin Aries (I-Quit Match)...Rising Above 2008 11/22/08
14. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Tyler Black (Steel Cage Match)...Violent Tendencies 6/26/09

http://www.rohwrestling.com/sites/default/files/survivalofthefittest2012dvdfinal.jpg

Ring of Honor's annual "Survival of the Fittest" tournament was taped September 22, 2012 in Baltimore, MD and aired on national TV during October 2012. Now is your chance to relive all of the action from a great night of wrestling which included a tremendous "Survival of the Fittest" Finals match-up, two championship matches, the build-up to "Glory By Honor XI", and MUCH MORE!!!

1. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Adam Cole vs. Tadarius Thomas
2. Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team vs. Fusion DS
3. Interview with S.C.U.M. (Steen calls out Michael Elgin)
4. World Tag Team Title Match: Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs vs. Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander
5. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Mike Bennett vs. Davey Richards
6. Tommaso Ciampa & RD Evans address Ciampa's injury
7. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Jay Lethal vs. QT Marshall
8. ROH World Title Match: Kevin Steen vs. Rhett Titus
9. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Homicide vs. Roderick Strong
10. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Mike Mondo
11. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Michael Elgin vs. Rhino
12. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Bravado Brothers
13. Survival of the Fittest Finals Elimination Match: Features the six winners of the qualifying matches earlier in the show
Jacobs' DVD looks epic and I'm glad there's a shoot interview, hope it'll be a regular thing. I don't see the point of having SOTF DVD if this aired on TV and there's nothing special or bonus. My ratings for SOTF DVD is in the spoiler tag for those who interested:
1. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Adam Cole vs. Tadarius Thomas - ***
2. Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team vs. Fusion DS - *3/4
3. Interview with S.C.U.M. (Steen calls out Michael Elgin) - Really good
4. World Tag Team Title Match: Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs vs. Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander - **1/2
5. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Mike Bennett vs. Davey Richards - ***1/4
6. Tommaso Ciampa & RD Evans address Ciampa's injury - OK
7. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Jay Lethal vs. QT Marshall - *3/4
8. ROH World Title Match: Kevin Steen vs. Rhett Titus - **1/2
9. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Homicide vs. Roderick Strong - **
10. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Kyle O'Reilly vs. Mike Mondo - **1/2
11. Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match: Michael Elgin vs. Rhino - **1/2
12. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Bravado Brothers - *3/4
13. Survival of the Fittest Finals Elimination Match: Features the six winners of the qualifying matches earlier in the show - ***1/2

Everything was too short to be something good which is understandable since it's aired on TV (another reason for why it's stupid to have it on DVD - it's just not worth the price). The only things that worth a check is Thomas vs Cole that was great, Richards vs Bennett, SCUM and HOT in-ring promo and the SOTF finals (even if I can see people really hate this)

#7,060 ·
ROH:
Homecoming
Border Wars
Glory By Honor
SITS both nights (N1 had pretty good undercard and great triple-Main Events, N2 wasn't that good but worth watching because of Elgin-Richards)

PWG:
The year started pretty weak with Wrestlerunion show and World's Finest but then everything was great. Start watching from DDT4.

Chikara:
Hot Off The Griddle
It's How You Play the Game
Chikara Aniversario: A Horse of Another Color + The Ogg and I
Chikarasaurus Rex: How To Hatch A Dinosaur
King Of Trios watch all nights

#7,061 ·
Don't know what shipping rates are like but they should all ship abroad. IPW:UK/RPW shows this year have delivered. First 2 Progress shows are really good but I think they only did a limited number of DVDs so you might have to pick them up from a 3rd party trader. SWE are a good promotion too. There's a load of great stuff on YouTube too if you search out guys like James Mason, Dean Allmark, Robbie Dynamite and Rampage Brown from All Star.

#7,062 · (Edited)
Announced for EVOLVE 18:

- Gargano vs. Davis for the Freedom Gate Title
- The Super Smash Bros vs. El Generico & Samuray Del Sol
Way to soon for another Gargano/Davis match, and why on EARTH is the OTFG title defended on EVOLVE yet again, when they just announced the creation of the EVOLVE Championship. Smh...

#7,064 ·
Evolve 18 is going to be in Voorhes right? That would explain why they're having that one match since all the significant moments in the feud have happened in the same venue. I think that's smart booking for indy companies to do. They've been building that match for Evolve for a while and if you've been at the last few shows in Voorhes then you likely want to see the match and seeing another encounter on the card is going to make you more likely to go and see the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.