Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#6,980 ·
I can certainly see why people would go that high, even if I think the execution just ever so slightly failed to match the well crafted idea. I'd sooner watch this sort of match over a propfest which is classed by some as a 'brawl', but it was just missing something.

Honestly can't ever see any Indy match topping Joe/Necro IWA-MS 2005 as far as stiff slugfests go. Now that's something I'd point to as evidence of how to communicate hatred and horrific violence.

#6,981 ·
I can certainly see why people would go that high, even if I think the execution just ever so slightly failed to match the well crafted idea. I'd sooner watch this sort of match over a propfest which is classed by some as a 'brawl', but it was just missing something.

Honestly can't ever see any Indy match topping Joe/Necro IWA-MS 2005 as far as stiff slugfests go. Now that's something I'd point to as evidence of how to communicate hatred and horrific violence.
That entire show was the bomb. I watched it this past summer and might watch it again soon. Top to bottom it's one of the best indy shows I've ever seen. Also the best show to point towards when people say IWA-MS never put on good shows. :)

#6,982 ·
Which is funny considering the Kingston & Hero stuff IS legit. Felt like they only threw in the Loser Leaves Town aspect simply because of the heat. Moreso than it was for any real "storyline" purposes. Which at the end of the day wouldn't keep them apart. Both worked Chikara in 2007 regardless. Not to mention they would recreate the program in PWG & ROH in '08 & '09. I bought into it, though. One of the matches that drew me into buying the Best of CZW 2007 set.

Joe vs Necro is jesus christ.

FUCK

Got to love that commentary team too.

#6,986 ·
Necro was one of the most underrated guys on the Indie scene for a good while. His dedication to matches was hard to surpass. Especially when he'd be the number one guy to make ring wars come off as legit as possible. He's willing to take the killer bumps and knock his opponent for a loop via his disgusting punches. I've met him. His hands are seriously massive. Couldn't imagine getting knocked around by that guy.

#6,987 ·
He's still underrated tbf. People shouldn't go into his matches expecting pure wrestling and prime athleticism, he's far more of an old school brawler relying on his offence and bumps to really make a match feel like a war. Not every worker has to be versatile to be considered good. Necro is probably one of the best in history at working heated brawls with horrifying levels of violence and the fact more often than not he can create this without having to resort to a ridiculous amount of weapons (aside from Death Matches) really should be commended. I can only imagine what Lawler vs Necro would have been like circa 1985. Necro vs a prime 1993 Vader is also something of a dream match to me. I'd liken it to the Foley/Vader slugfests we were treated to from time to time. I mean Vader was stiff as fuck regardless of who he faced, but when you got someone like Foley in the ring with him....good grief at the punches.

#6,988 ·
Well a lot more have seem to finally give him his due compared to years ago when Necro was merely looked at as only a "shitty deathmatch" wrestler. Far, far from the truth. See, exactly. I'd credit Necro to more of a stiff worker as apposed to a hardcore guy. Sure, he's done deathmatches. But, it's not like that's his only outlet. The Foley association is fitting. I've often said they fell in the same area. They have their differences, yet it's a grouping I feel suffices where different workers like themselves can fall under.

vs Lawler in the 80's or Vader in the 90's? Dude, don't make me dream like that. The heat on Necro being a wild heel brawler assaulting Lawler would be immense. I'm literally imagining the scenario right now. It's perfect considering the play out to how things were set up back then. Necro fits in like a glove. The Vader dream match paints a picture of nothing but bombs being laid out. Vader is such a punishing in ring bully during his bouts that Necro's will to not quit, and take the sick bumps, could lead that match to some UNBELIEVABLE moments. Once again, the parallels to Foley circa that time are so close. Halloween Havoc '93 recreation anyone?

The food for thought I have now is giving me some FUN scenarios.

#6,991 ·

Withness the carnage that is "Death Before Dishonor X: State of Emergency" as Kevin Steen defends the ROH World Championship against Rhino, the World Tag Team Title Tournament concludes, Mike Mondo challenges Adam Cole for the World TV Championship, Jay Lethal vs. Homicide, and much more!

1. World Tag Team Title Tournament Semi-Final #1- Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. Steve Corino & Jimmy Jacobs
2. Survival of the Fittest Qualifier: Silas Young vs. Tadarius Thomas
3. Kyle O'Reilly vs. ACH
4. World Tag Team Title Tourament Semi-Final #2- Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Rhett Titus & Charlie Haas with Shelton Benjamin
5. Jay Lethal vs. Homicide
6. Tag Team Challenge Match: Roderick Strong & Michael Elgin vs. Irish Airborne
7. ROH World TV Title Match: Adam Cole vs. Mike Mondo
8. World Tag Team Title Tournament Finals: Semi-Final Winner #1 vs. Semi-Final Winner #2
9. ROH World Title Match: Kevin Steen vs. Rhino

Plus special appearances by "The American Wolf" Davey Richards & Matt Hardy!!!

Since its inception, Ring of Honor has prided itself on presenting the absolute best in professional wrestling. From Strong Style to Hardcore and everything in-between, ROH has been defined by its stylistic diversity and that includes giving the woman of professional wrestling a platform to present their craft.

The strongest, toughest, most athletic women in the wrestling world have all set foot in Ring of Honor to square off with one another. At times they have even been tested against the opposite sex in some of the most violent matches ROH has seen, but the Women of Honor have always stepped up to the challenge.

Now in this 2-Disc collection, you can experience the tenacity of the Women of Honor for yourself as they battle to prove just who is the best. This set includes an astounding 33 matches from Ring of Honor's video library.

Disc 1
1. Alexis Laree vs. Persephonie… Retribution: Round Robin Challenge II 4/26/03
2. Alexis Laree vs. Sumie Sakai …Wrestlerave '03 6/28/03
3. Allison Danger vs. Sarah Stock… The Conclusion (On Uncensored DVD) 11/28/03
4. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze vs. Tracy Brooks vs. Allison Danger…3rd Anniversary Celebration Pt. 3 Pre-Show 2/26/05
5. Allison Danger vs. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze vs. Mercedes Martinez… Best In The World 3/25/06
6. MsChif vs. Cheerleader Melissa vs. Allison Danger vs. Daizee Haze vs. Lacey vs. Rain… Supercard Of Honor 3/31/06
7. Allison Danger, Daizee Haze & MsChif vs. Lacey, Rain & Cheerleader Melissa… Better Than Our Best 4/1/06
8. Sara Del Ray vs. Daizee Haze… Destiny 6/3/06
9. Mercedes Martinez vs. Daizee Haze… Honor Reclaims Boston 11/3/06
10. Lacey vs. Nikki Roxx vs. Allison Danger vs. Daizee Haze… Black Friday Fallout 11/24/06
11. Jimmy Jacobs, Brent Albright & Lacey vs. Colt Cabana, BJ Whitmer & Daizee Haze (No DQ Match)…Dedicated 1/26/07
12. Allison Danger & Sara Del Ray vs. Daizee Haze & Alexa Thatcher… Fifth Year Festival: NYC 2/16/07
13. Colt Cabana, BJ Whitmer, & Daizee Haze vs. Adam Pearce, Jimmy Jacobs, & Lacey (Street Fight)…Fifth Year Festival: Philly 2/17/07
14. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze…Fifth Year Festival: Dayton 2/23/07
15. Sara Del Ray & Allison Danger vs. MsChif & Serena …Fifth Year Festival: Chicago 2/24/07
16. Sara Del Ray & Allison Danger vs. Jetta & Eden Black… Fifth Year Festival: Finale 3/4/07

Disc 2
17. Jimmy Jacobs & Lacey vs. BJ Whitmer & Daizee Haze (Anything Goes Match)… All Star Extravaganza III 3/30/07
18. Lacey & Rain vs. Sara Del Rey & Allison Danger… The Battle Of St. Paul 4/27/07
19. Daizee Haze vs. Nikki Roxx… Reborn Again 5/11/07
20. Sara Del Rey vs. Daizee Haze… Respect Is Earned 5/12/07
21. Lacey & Rain vs Daizee Haze & MsChif…Driven 6/23/07
22. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze…Death Before Dishonor V- Night 1 8/10/07
23. Sara Del Rey vs. Lacey… Death Before Dishonor V- Night 2 8/11/07
24. Amazing Kong & Daizee Haze vs. Lacey & Sara Del Rey… Man Up 9/15/07
25. Lacey vs. Daizee Haze vs. Sara Del Rey ( Three Way Dance)… Rising Above 12/29/07
26. Sara Del Rey vs. Daizee Haze…6th Anniversary Show 2/23/08
27. MsChif vs. Daizee Haze vs. Lacey vs. Ashley Lane ….Return Engagement 4/19/08
28. Sara Del Rey vs. Jennifer Blake…Northern Navigation 7/25/08
29. Daizee Haze vs. Madison Eagles… Driven (2008) 9/19/08
30. Sara Del Rey vs. MsChif… Rising Above 2008 11/22/08
31. Sara Del Ray vs. Amazing Kong… Supercard of Honor V 5/8/10
32. Sara Del Ray & Serena Deeb vs. Amazing Kong & Daizee Haze… Final Battle 2010 12/18/10
33. Daizee Haze & Tomoka Nakagawa vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto & Ayumi Kurihara…Honor Takes Center Stage Chapter 2 4/2/11

#6,993 ·
God I love Super Dragon. One of my favorites, his stiffness in matches with people like Necro and Steen is amazing to watch. I love that Astonishing X-Mas Guerilla Warfare match against Steen. Right when the match begins they push each other into the rows of chairs and even that looked brutal and full of hatred.

#6,994 ·
Dragon Gate USA
Enter the Dragon 2010
1st Anniversary Show

CIMA/Gargano ***
4 Way Match ***1/2
Doi/Younger **1/2
Hulk/Mochizuki ***1/2
Swann/Reid N/R
Elimination Match ????
Danielson/Shingo ****1/2

The 4 way match was one of the better spotfests I have seen in recent memory. Amazing how far some of those guys have come in the 2 years since this match. Swann/Reid was both a showcase for Swann, and a squash for storyline purposes. Wish I could grade the elimination match but my dvd started skipping about 5 minutes into the match and got so bad that I couldn't watch it and had to skip the match. Thank god the main event still worked. I know it comes as no surprize to anyone on this board, but Danielson and Shingo are both awesome. I had such high expectations for this one, and they delievered.

#6,997 ·
Yup, final match of BOLA 06 Night Two. Pretty much messed up Dragon I think because while he faced Jack Evans the next night he dropped out of the finals which was supposed to be a three-way.

#6,998 ·
Super Dragon was fucking awful. Definition of a guy that couldn't work and tried to cover it by working stiff. Working that stiff only works if you do it when need be. It just makes you look shit and unsafe when you work like that in every match. Watched the Astonishing X-Mas match and past the first 5 minutes it's not that good. Turns too much into running through spots and taking way too long to set them up. Necro does the whole stiff crazy lunatic shtick a million times better than Dragon eve did.

#7,001 ·
Some spots had a long set up, sure, but only because the previous beating was uber vicious and brutal, therefore they could take more time (kayfabe speaking).

And Dragon was never meant to be a "stiff crazy lunatic", you can't really compare him to Necro.

Masada vs Davey Richards is happening at the next CZW show. I may buy the DVD purely to see this match.
Hopefully MASADA leads him to a good match.

#7,011 · (Edited)

1. Semi-Finals: Team ROH vs. Team Sendai Girls

The best opener of the year, unless I’m forgetting something. Team ROH’s match finally delivers in this round, after two somehow lackluster affairs. Nick Jackson was so OTT here, hilarious performance. Such a great prick heel, you just want to smash his birdlike head like a melon. The Sendai Girls seriously rocked, they were so believable in beating the crap out of Team ROH, and the crowd was going crazy for them. What I especially liked, is the feeling out process was thrown out of window, and we got 15 minutes of exciting sprinting. But nothing too spotty or too obviously contrived. Great match. I think the Girls deserve to reach Finals next year. And the Bucks… The best tag team in the business.

2. Semi-Finals: F.I.S.T. vs. The Spectral Envoy

ICARUS! /review.

***1/2

3. Ophidian vs. Saturyne

Such a fun sprint. Ophidian is all about business, he’s dead serious in both showing off and trying to beat the hell out of Saturyne. She, on the other hand, is trying to hang with men, and she’s holding nothing back. Simple and effective story, and the action was fast paced and very exciting. Saturyne botched one move, but it actually helped the match, IMO. This was damn good, I’m shocked, honestly.

***1/2

4. 10-Way Tag Team Gauntlet

Usually, I strongly dislike gauntlets, but this one was very well done. The peculiar mix of the regular roster, rookies and legends was a lot of fun. It’s 37 minutes long, but it feels like 15 really. And that’s always great. Good stuff all around, and those two huge guys from the Corporation Domination need to be used more often. Freaks.

***1/4

5. 3.0, Ebessan & Takoyakida vs. Colt Cabana, Johnel Sanders, Darkness Crabtree & The Swamp Monster

I can’t rate this. No one can.

N/A

6. Manami Toyota & Kaori Yoneyama vs. Commando Bolshoi & Tsubasa Kuragaki

Fucking A! Sure, I was expecting a good match, but these four Joshis blew my mind here. Another match with simple storytelling, but it was so effective, and the action was so crisp, and fun, and exciting… Just beautiful. These gals know how to wrestle, they know how to work the crowd, how to express their characters and how to tell little but meaningful stories about their strengths and weaknesses. Tsubasa was the true star of the match. Immense stuff. The whole weekend peaked here, IMO.

7. Jigsaw vs. Tadasuke

After Tadasuke’s beautiful performance against Kingston, I was really looking forward to this match. And it delivered. This was your classic power vs. speed story, Jigsaw’s selling was really good, it put over Tadasuke’s vicious offense as a clear danger. The ref stoppage ending ruled, we need much more of it in wrestling. #realism

***1/2

8. Finals: The Spectral Envoy vs. Team ROH

So damn frustrating. I feel like shit. Why? Well, the match was damn good until the last few minutes. There were two long face-in-peril segments on the Envoy members, Team ROH was bringing it, the Bucks were awesome as usual, the excitement was top notch, etc. But then the Batiri and Delirious interfere, and the big chaotic brawl happens. Now, I’m fine with all of it, but then there’s this ridiculously STUPID spot where UMB superplexes Matt Jackson on like 10 guys standing ringside and WAITING (that was some baaad kayfabing) for Matt to land on them. I fucking hate spots like that, because the setup is impossible to pull off in a convincing and compelling manner, I mean those guys waiting ringside ALWAYS use embarrassing punches because they have to be careful about a guy landing on them. The same type of spot completely ruined the SOTF finals last year too. That spot just screamed “spot monkey”. I’m sorry, but I can’t suspend my disbelief that much. But all in all, I appreciate the match, it was entertaining, the Envoy’s victory was a true feel good moment.

*1/4

Well, great show. I thought only PWG and DGUSA can pull off something like this, but I was wrong. Two fucking GREAT matches, four good ones, a funny atomicos pleasure, and the main event was entertaining after all, despite being bad in terms of star rating. This was a great trip, the whole tournament rocked. So. Much. Variety.

#7,012 ·
CHIKARA "Talent Borrows, Genius Steals" Season 5 Finale Review

Quick Thoughts: Since I did PWG, I thought it'd be fun for me to review the last CHIKARA show I saw before I stopped following them. Underwhelming show but fun as you know what you get with CHIKARA; I thought the buildup between Kingston/Sweeney was well done but the match itself failed to deliver and most of the card was decent; I'd argue that the HydraLock Challenge was the best part of the show lmao and I was the BIGGEST Incoherence mark back then, just thought I let that be known.

Los Ice Creams & Kenji Fukimoto vs. Twiggy, Equinox & Retail Dragon- **3/4
Chucky T vs. Ricochet- ***1/2
Jagged vs. Player Uno- **
The Colony vs. Rhett Titus, Pelle Primeau & Shane Hagadorn- **
Josh Daniels vs. Max Boyer- **3/4 (They were calling spots loud as hell lol)
Lance Steel vs. Trik Davis- **1/2
Incoherence, Deliriouscito & Hallowickedcito vs. B-Rage, Hydra, Crossbones & U-Black- ***1/2
Mike Quackenbush & Shane Storm vs. Team FIST- ***1/4
Eddie Kingston vs. Larry Sweeney (Strap Match)- **3/4-***

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.