Official Indy DVD Thread

1M views 11K replies 303 participants last post by  Lane 
#1 ·
#6,372 ·
#6,373 ·
Some matches i watched recently:

Final Battle 2009 - Eddie Kingston vs Chris Hero: ***1/2
Glory by Honor V, Night 2 - KENTA vs Bryan Danielson - *****
PWG BOLA 2008, Night 2 - Kenny Omega, Chuck Taylor and Joey Ryan vs Davey Richards, Austin Aries and Roderick Strong vs El Generico, Nick Jackson and Necro Butcher - :lmao :lol
Death Before Dishonor 3 - Austin Aries vs CM Punk: ****1/2
Chikara King Of Trios 2011 Night 3: 1-2-3 Kid vs El Generico: ***3/4
ROH Rising Above 2007 - Austin Aries vs Nigel McGuinness: ****3/4
ROH Final Battle 2009 - Kevin Steen and El Generico vs Young Bucks: ****1/4
ROH 6th Anniversary Show - KENTA vs. Nigel McGuinness: ****1/4
DGUSA Untouchable 2010 - Shingo vs Davey Richards: ****3/4
ROH Take No Prisoners: KENTA & Tyler Black vs Katushiko Nakajima & Austin Aries: ****1/4

#6,374 ·
How good of quality does anybody have of Aries vs. Guinness from Rising Above? I need a new version.

#6,375 ·
It's no secret that I really don't enjoy Davey Richard's matches and I try to avoid them when possible (I only watch them when he's wrestling on a full show that I'm watching), however AAW has booked him against my two current favorite indy talents so I'm checking them out. Just try and keep that in mind and don't try and think I'm watching the matches just to solely hate on Richards.

Davey Richards vs Fit Finlay - AAW Scars and Stripes
This was structured much better than any Richards match I've seen before. The match felt very 'sectioned' as apposed to randomly throwing things like comebacks and reversals together and seeing what sticks with the crowd. However, that doesn't mean it's an instant classic. The opening matwork section was decent enough but Finlay's control section felt surprisingly dull and Richard's comeback was full of no-selling and that DAVEYTENSITY which we have grown to hate.

Davey Richards vs Sami Callihan - AAW Bound By Hate
This got off to a god-awful start with both men trading elbows in indywank fashion. The announcers hype up how Callihan doesn't want to wrestle, he wants to fight. This would be all fine and dandy if Callihan wasn't going for stretch mufflers and other complicated submission holds right of the bat. There really was no sense of structure until the mid-point of the match when Davey got his leg worked over and to his credit, he keeps selling it until the end of the match and his injured leg is a consistent theme in this match right until the bell rings. He does need to realize however, there is much more to selling than holding your leg and limping. He would limp, kick with perfect technique and then go back to limping around the ring. I do appreciate that Davey made an effort here to sell but if tearing your leg to shit isn't going to stop your pulling out your moves, where the threat? Davey was limping all over the place but never really showed signs that he was in serious peril.

I will also give this match credit that it's finishing stretch was quite captivating and didn't insult my intelligence like a lot of Richard's match do with their overabundance of near-falls and what not. The ending of this match was pretty exciting stuff but it's a shame the rest of the match is tainted by a horrendous opening section and Davey's weak selling (but hey, at least he wasn't no selling).
**3/4

#6,376 ·
ROH - The Nightmare Begins

Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. All Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus) - **1/4

Davey Richards vs. Mike Mondo - **1/4

Proving Ground - Four Corner Survival
Roderick Strong vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly - ***1/4

Radio Wars
The Briscoes vs. Totally Awesome (Chris Silvio & Paredyse) - DUD

Jay Lethal vs. Michael Elgin - **3/4

ROH World Title
Kevin Steen vs. Eddie Edwards - ***3/4

Texas Death Match
Charlie Haas vs. Jay Briscoe - **1/4

Nothing much to see here if you’ve watched the SBG Road Rage episodes, Steen/Edwards was better then the SITS matchup and the FCS was pretty fun while it lasted.

Dragon Gate USA - Untouchable 2012 iPPV

Jon Davis vs. Jake Manning - *

Chuck Taylor vs. Rich Swann - **1/4

The Super Smash Brothers (Player Uno & Stupefied) vs. The Scene (Caleb Konley & Scott Reed) - **

Ricochet vs. YAMATO - ***

D.U.F. (Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez) vs. N8 Matteson & Derrick Ryze - *

Masada vs. Pinkie Sanchez - *

CIMA & AR Fox vs. El Generico & Samuray Del Sol - ****

Open The Freedom Gate
Johnny Gargano vs. Akira Tozawa - ***3/4

Thank god for a great tag match and a very good title defense because up until then this show was flat out bad. Ricochet & YAMATO clearly held back, the Taylor match made no sense, Masada’s intro into DUGSA was forgettable as much as D.U.F.’s run has been and The Scene continue to be an anchor around the midcard dragging down anyone who goes against them.

#6,377 ·
ROH - The Nightmare Begins

Caprice Coleman & Cedric Alexander vs. All Night Express (Kenny King & Rhett Titus) - **1/4

Davey Richards vs. Mike Mondo - **1/4

Proving Ground - Four Corner Survival
Roderick Strong vs. BJ Whitmer vs. Adam Cole vs. Kyle O'Reilly - ***1/4

Radio Wars
The Briscoes vs. Totally Awesome (Chris Silvio & Paredyse) - DUD

Jay Lethal vs. Michael Elgin - **3/4

ROH World Title
Kevin Steen vs. Eddie Edwards - ***3/4

Texas Death Match
Charlie Haas vs. Jay Briscoe - **1/4

Nothing much to see here if you’ve watched the SBG Road Rage episodes, Steen/Edwards was better then the SITS matchup and the FCS was pretty fun while it lasted.
How was the production for this DVD? because last time when they did a road rage edition to house show the DVD was as good as it was on TV (the Carolinas' double-shot).

--

This is just awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fiTIBG6U1g&feature=player_embedded

#6,380 ·
Chikara - Hot Off The Griddle

1. Jigsaw & The Colony vs The Shard & The Swarm
***1/2

2. Archibald Peck vs Kobald
AMAZING.. Archie is just fantastic

3. The Throwbacks vs The Batiri
**3/4

4. Tianlong vs 17
N/A

5. The Young Bucks vs Darin Corbin & Arik Cannon
***1/4

6. 3.0 & The Spectral Envoy vs Tim Donst, Jakob Hammermeier & The Bravado Brothers
**3/4

7. Grand Championship
Eddie Kingston vs Kevin Steen
***1/2

8. Gran Akuma vs F.I.S.T.

9. El Generico vs Sara Del Rey
***3/4

#6,384 ·
You got a point there.

And SmartMark finally released the Hero interview they did in 2011 with him when he was first going to WWE and they also have an AR Fox Best Of The Indies comp already out.

#6,388 ·
Dragon Gate USA - Enter The Dragon 2012 iPPV

Masada vs. Jake Manning - *

The Scene (Caleb Konley & Scott Reed) vs. Zero Gravity (Bret Gakiya & CJ Esparza) - *1/2

Samuray Del Sol vs. Shane Hollister - **1/4

The Super Smash Brothers (Player Uno & Stupefied) vs. D.U.F. (Arik Cannon & Pinkie Sanchez) - **1/2

I Quit Match
Johnny Gargano vs. Chuck Taylor - ***3/4

YAMATO vs. Jon Davis - **3/4

El Generico vs. Akira Tozawa - ***1/2

Open The United Gate Titles
Ricochet & Rich Swann vs. CIMA & AR Fox - ***3/4

Better show then Untouchable 2012 even though YAMATO/Davis was disappointing and the rest of the undercard was largely unmemorable with Hollister/Del Sol getting little time and SSB/D.U.F. never getting to what they do in other promotions. The crowd also hurt the last two matches which would have been so much better if people cared.

SMV Best On The Indies: So You Think You Can Fly? - The AR Fox Story

CZW 2/13/10 - Opportunity Knocks
AR Fox vs. Aaron Arbo vs. Unbreakable Andy - **1/4

CZW 5/8/10
AR Fox vs. Jonathan Gresham - **3/4

CZW 8/7/10
AR Fox vs. Facade - **

CZW 8/14/10
AR Fox vs. Ruckus - **1/2

IPW 11/6/10
AR Fox vs. Jake Christ - **1/4

IPW 1/1/11
AR Fox vs. Ricochet - ***

CZW 1/7/11
AR Fox vs. Orange Cassidy - *

IPW 3/5/11
AR Fox vs. Louis Lyndon - **1/2

CZW 4/9/11 - Best Of The Best Opening Round
AR Fox vs. Sami Callihan vs. Jake Crist - **1/2

CZW 5/14/11 - CZW World Junior Heavyweight Title
AR Fox vs. Adam Cole - ***

IPW 6/18/11 - IPW Mid-American Title
AR Fox vs. Chrisjen Hayme - **3/4

NWA Force-1 7/8/11 - JT Roberts Tour de Force Opening Round
AR Fox vs. Lince Dorado - ***

IPW 10/1/11
AR Fox vs. Arik Cannon - **3/4

Beyond Wrestling 10/2/11 - No Disqualification
AR Fox vs. RD Evans - ***

AIW 10/2/11
AR Fox vs. Uhaa Nation - ***1/4

CZW 10/7/11 - CZW World Heavyweight Title
AR Fox vs. Devon Moore - **

CZW 11/12/11 - Winner gets CZW World Junior Heavyweight Title shot
AR Fox vs. Ryan McBride - **3/4

IPW 11/15/11 - IPW Junior Heavyweight Title
AR Fox vs. Ricochet - ***1/4

AIW 11/25/11
AR Fox vs. Uhaa Nation - ***1/2

CZW 12/3/11 - CZW World Junior Heavyweight Title
AR Fox vs. Sami Callihan - ***

CZW 1/14/12
AR Fox vs. Uhaa Nation - ***

Unless you have the pressing need to listen to the interview with Fox there's no need to buy this just for 2 of the series with Uhaa Nation in AIW and a handful of other matches among the forgettable rest.

#6,391 ·
PWG - World's Finest

1. Peter Avalon vs Kevin Steen
**1/4

2. Brian Cage-Taylor vs Ray Rosas
**1/2

3. Candice LeRae vs Joey Ryan
*1/2

4. TJ Perkins vs Scorpio Sky
**3/4

5. The RockNES Monsters vs The Super Smash Brothers vs The Young Bucks
***3/4

6. Alex Koslov vs Kyle O'Reilly

7. Willie Mack vs Roderick Strong
**3/4

8. PWG Title
El Generico vs Eddie Edwards vs Kevin Steen
***1/4​

#6,392 ·
So the stories about Quack are true then, interesting. I'll also agree in that when I followed Chikara Pro (03-06) Hallowicked was always one of the guys that stood out to me, he's been wrestling for a decade now I think he could make waves on the indies if wasn't for his allegiance to Quack.

#6,394 ·
Watching the AR Fox Interview with Smart Mark Video...

- The interviewer needs to ASK FUCKING QUESTIONS...
- He keeps saying, You said this or you said that instead of asking about things.
- The interviewer or Fox or both seem uncomfortable about talking about Fox and his younger days.
- Went to jail at various times in his life for around 2 years.
- Wrestling has kept him out of Jail and probably saved his life.
- Quote "I stiff guys at the wrestling school"
- He actually trains people at Mr Hughes' School. Not really sure why or how hes qualifed but whatever.
- He came up with the Lo Mein Pain finisher while watching Botchamania.
- Apparently he googles himself all the time. So if hes reading this. Your the fucking shits. Thanks.
- Sabu slept over at his house...
- Says hello to Germany.. Oddly enough they never get to say Hi back.
- Doubt we will see him in Chikara anytime soon. Not surprising though.
- Once drank Mr Hughes' dip and got pinkeye in both eyes.

#6,399 ·
That Hero shoot sounds pretty awesome.Some real interesting stuff, the Quack stuff stands out to me. I knew Quack was insanely loyal to Chikara and stuff but didn't know the half of it. Quack sounds pretty crazy. Anyone have any other stories about him?

#6,403 ·
I've heard the same stories about Quack Chris Hero confirmed. The only thing I didn't hear about until now was the OCD.

That part was like the missing piece of a puzzle. Now some (not all) of the more questionable actions from Quack make way more sense. And now I feel bad, though I'm sure Quack has found ways to fight through that disorder.

#6,400 ·
ROH - Fifth Year Festival: Philly

Nigel McGuinness vs. TJ Perkins - **1/4

Austin Aries vs. Claudio Castagnoli - **3/4

Philly Street Fight
BJ Whitmer, Colt Cabana, & Daizee Haze vs. Jimmy Jacobs, Adam Pearce, & Lacey - **3/4

The Briscoes vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico - ***1/2

Samoa Joe vs. Jimmy Rave - ***

FIP World Heavyweight Championship
Roderick Strong (c) vs. Delirous - NR

ROH World Tag Team Championship
Christopher Daniels & Matt Sydal (c) vs. Jack Evans & Shingo - ***

ROH World Championship
Homicide (c) vs. Takeshi Morishima - **1/2

Overall: 6.5/10

- A definite B show (although it doesn't look it on paper) that's easy to sit through despite not having any real standout matches. Briscoes/Steenerico was very good but it's lost in the grand scheme of what they did the rest together the rest of that year. Joe/Rave I enjoyed despite the crowd not giving a shit about anything Rave did on offense. Strong/Delirious is tough to watch because Delirious gets injured during the match, almost appears to be unconscious at times, but Roddy continues to attack and it's rather disgusting at times. Certainly no remorse and it got him a hell of a lot of heat. Tag Title match had its moments but it was pretty disjointed at times and everyone's timing seemed to be off. Good showing from Shingo though.

- Now the World Title match. A good brawl in the first few minutes, but then Homicide just gets entirely too much offense in on a guy Shima's size. At absolutely no point did I say, "hey Homicide could win here" either. Historic moment in ROH though as it catapulted Morishima's career and he gave us one hell of a monster heel run in 07. The whole show really was a bit of a turning point because one of your top guys was leaving, faction warfare was about to go down between Aries & Strong, and one of the most memorable in ring feuds in company history was about to happen in Briscoes/Steenerico.​

#6,402 · (Edited)
Pro Wrestling Superstars - Toronto

1. El Generico vs Michael Elgin

2. Tito Santana vs Shawn Spears
Skipped

3. The Super Smash Brothers vs The Great Outdoors vs Rhett Titus & Caleb Konley vs Adam Page & Asylum

4. Finlay vs Harry Smith
**3/4

5. Vader vs Necro Butcher
SQUASH

6. Dominic DeNucci & Shane Douglas vs Lord Zoltan & Shawn Blanchard
Skipped

7. LuFisto vs Kalamity

8. Roderick Strong vs Jushin Liger
***1/2

9. Tommy Dreamer & Rhino vs Raven & CW Anderson
Skipped

Tried to avoid the awfulness on the show but enjoyed what I watched. Was disappointed Necro & Vader wasn't more and Finlay & Harry don't seem to work as well as I'd hoped after seeing them work twice now. Got it for sale for $15 posted if anyones interested.​

Also just finished the RF Video Behind Closed Doors w/Steve Corino. Very entertaining. Love Corino.

#6,404 ·
I think Quack said on the Art Of Wrestling Podcast that he has OCD. Maybe it's somewhat a blessing in disguise as he's booking is always great and perfectly organised. Having OCD still doesn't explain half of Quack's antics though like going on message boards and stuff. It's kinda sad really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.