Wrestling Forum : WWE, TNA, Debate League, Wrestling Videos, Women of Wrestling Forums - View Single Post - ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

View Single Post

Old 10-10-2011, 04:20 AM   #356 (permalink)
fallaway1988
Still Real To Me, Dammit!

fallaway1988
Default Re: ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

I thought this week was far better than the previous episodes (still not great production though). The Ciampa vs. Ridge match was watchable, and I thought they played to their strengths, both looking better than they perhaps are. Unlike Bennett’s match last week, Ciampa somewhat lived up to his hype (from a naive perspective anyway).

As for the plant shouting Kevin Steen, I was just moaning about the 'who do you think will win?' segment when he yelled it, which really caught me off guard, and sent chills down my arms. People have been talking about how great the Steen angle is, well I can agree with this, now that it actually exists on regular ROH programming! However, as has been said, I’m not sure whether new fans would get it, but that’s subtlety for you.

The biggest issue seemed to be trying to introduce new wrestlers, while maintaining the presence of old ones, which did come across a bit cluttered, however it felt as though the roster was starting to come together. Just like watching any new show, you gradually get to know the cast over time, so a steady progression might just be the thing.

Finally I thought the main event, was the first genuinely good match so far, not great, but I didn’t want a great match. It was a well placed match, and contrary to my fears that they would throw everything at one another, it felt logical, with a decent sense of developing fatigue. The ending was a tad flat, but then again the audience weren’t really in to it. I thought that was a shame, as a simple plot mechanism like going into extra time in the Generico/Lethal match last week, turned them rapid, but they barely reacted to a much more solid wrestling match this time. So much for the whole ‘real wrestling’ mindset.

Overall, this episode was make or break for me, in regularly following ROH, and they’ve finally managed to entertain me and show some potential, so next week it is!
fallaway1988 is offline   Reply With Quote