Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROH on SBG Discussion Thread

600K views 8K replies 532 participants last post by  adamclark52 
#1 ·
Unlike HDNet, the weekly broadcasts will air at different times and for those of us abroad, we'll be seeing it at all different times online too, so I guess we can discuss events/happenings here.

Here's the preview for this week.

SBG have brought some great technical leaps since HDNet. The Haas/Benjamin segment with them holding the belts looks real clear, for instance.

Can't wait.

#77 ·
thoughts:

- fucking love the new lighting. Fieldhouse looks packed, moreso than the Impact Zone.

- love the pop for Nigel and he looks genuinely thrilled to be back.

- I like that you can actually hear the entrance music clearly, as opposed to the iPPVs where it's very much in the background.

- The Code of Honor thing on the tale of the tape thing is interesting because it's not clearly a face/heel thing, but it looks that way. I'm glad they're actually mentioning the CoH again.

- Future Shock/Bravados was lots of fun. It could have used a longer heat segment, but I'm not really complaining because it was a perfect opener for the show and Cole and O'Reilly looked great.

- I don't think Davey Richards is all that great, but I'm glad he's finally got the belt so he can stop overshadowing the champ like he did during the Black, Strong, and Edwards reigns.

- Even in replay format the finish of the BITW four-way tag looks shitty.

- Kevin Kelly isn't super great as an indy announcer, but he's so much better than Mike Hogewood it's almost scary.

- The finish to the BITW tag looks even worse in context.

- Did someone just throw toilet paper at Haas and Benjamin? Fuck yes.

- That was actually one of the better WGTT matches I've seen. Benjamin's selling was goofy and inconsistent and he telegraphs lots of his moves, but there was actually a clear structure, not just "here are some moves", and it was kept short.

#79 ·
The show was enjoyable for what it was but there were some real problems due to my knowing a lot of the changes ahead of time. I've managed to avoid the reports so I don't know any of the results or even the full cards for the first set of tapings but I've also seen DBD9 which effectively spoiled the main-event last night and also next weeks. Hopefully they'll work on these issues because that was a real problem with HDNET show and so far it doesn't appear to have been addressed.

#80 · (Edited)
The Bravados vs Future Shock **3/4
WGTT vs Kings Of Wrestling ***3/4

Great tag team stuff right there. Haas and Benjamin actually looked very good.

#81 ·
Don't know if they'll be fully able to fix continuity issues as long as they have to tape 4 episodes in a month while still doing DVD shows. Show was pretty good for the first time out, commentary should get better as they work together and the only annoying thing was the audio issues. FutureShock/Bravados was fine and WGTT/Kings was pretty good besides the flat finish most WGTT matches have.

#82 ·
Don't know if they'll be fully able to fix continuity issues as long as they have to tape 4 episodes in a month while still doing DVD shows. Show was pretty good for the first time out, commentary should get better as they work together and the only annoying thing was the audio issues.
I accept the problem with the dvd shows, that's probably unavoidable but it shouldn't be happening with the IPPVs. Much as I hate to say it, TNA get that one thing right by taping their shows immediately the previous PPV, at least with that you don't get a situation like we had here with

Haas & Benjamin still being champions at the IPPV despite having a title match due to be broadcast 7 days later and seeing Jay Lethal with the TV title 14 days before we're going to see him win the thing

That's been a problem for a while, I remember seeing Truth Martini accompany Roderick Strong at DBD VIII before he was introduced on the HDNET show.

#83 · (Edited)
- FS/Bravados was decent, some cool spots from FS.
- Liked Lethal's promo more than Davey's
- WGTT/KOW was ok, WGTT need a better finisher.
- Hope future shows feature more than 2 matches.
- I'm not signing up for a GA membership simply to watch their show.

#84 ·
I love the old school feel. It may feel low-budget, but hey, it makes it look like a wrestling show, something I really miss these days.

#85 ·
Awesome bit of TV.

LOVED the magazine show type stuff, like Kevin Kelly on the streets of New York. One thing that really annoys me about WWE and TNA is that their shows aren't set in any particular world, real or otherwise. There's no context to anything. You're just watching some cartoons that, as far as you know, live in a sports arena and wear underpants all day.

ROH did a great job of creating a whole world populated with real human beings, with it's own moral code. A lot was achieved by the non-wrestling segments of the show. Which is refreshing.

#86 ·
Just got a chance to watch the show and thought it was great! The two matches were both very good particularly the main event. I also enjoyed the stuff in between the matches. Looking forward to next week already! my only concern is that from what I've seen the show will be up on the website on thursday, I think this is too late and will mean a lot of fans, me included, will download it rather than watch it on the site

#89 ·
People have raised lots of good points, and I’m glad it went down well with so many of you. I found it watchable, but my overall impression was of slight disappointment. The first match was average (positively so, just with all things considered like time, story etc), the second rather poor really; it seemed to come apart in the middle. More than anything though the production values were low, and I think that impacted on the quality of the matches for me, diverting away from the action at times and making the story a little hard to follow (in particular during the second match, contributing to the impression of dissolution).

On a good note, I was excited to see Nigel McGuiness there, which will hopefully become a permanent fixture, and it was a good idea showing clips of Best in the World and introducing other ROH wrestlers etc (though there was some repetition). On a last note it’s ok trying to take away interference and such things, but strip too much away and the entertainment goes with it. I think high match quality/good presentation is essential, in order to provide a unique selling point for ROH, which I felt was lacking this time. Still, we shall what next week brings.

#90 ·
I quite liked the show.

I know it might not be good for business in this day and age, but I can't help but like the old school feel to everything. In saying that, some of their interviews - Lethal's especially - were much more 'Reality' orientated, which is completely in keeping with current trends.

Kevin Kelly was borderline psychotic. His cutesy little voice, fixed grin and crazy eyes during the promos they played were just unnerving. They probably need to knock that on the head.

The two matches were good, nothing more, nothing less. My interest in the main event was fairly limited due to having seen it many times before and the Kings buggering off anyway. Shelton and Charlie were pretty bland, but then everyone except the Bravados seemed to be. The faces were just generic. It's a good job Cole and O'Reilly are good in the ring, otherwise I'd seriously just have a little nap every time I see or, especially, hear them. Perfect for a wrestling programme I suppose.

Nigel's return was good, but I still think the show lacked something big for its debut edition. I'm not quite sure what that could've been, but possibly something involving Steen or a debuting wrestler. Either way, it was enjoyable, and I'm sure it will improve once they get in the swing of things.

#92 ·
Just watched it. Some nice in ring action right there. Still this show has long way to go in aspects such as getting live shows, improving the presentation and building interesting storylines. Anyways it was still more enjoyable than that weird TNA.

At leas the crowd was alive and buzzing. Bieber chants where pretty funny IMO. The ring is very weird in this one though.

#93 ·
I just watched it again a few hours ago on the internet. It was better after seeing the first half. The production seemed better on the internet. Maybe the problem last night was just the way that my local station formatted it.

#100 · (Edited)
the matches to me were good but the production levels were poor. Maybe its expecting too much from ROH but I expected a little better

Its the first episode, give them some time I guess to fix up some audio issues and improve the production a bit

Anyway, they need to get the program in the NYC market, luckily there is youtube

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.